I have to uninstall Emsisoft to play Forza Horizon 3

targetbsp

I've tried pause protection, disable protection, shut down protection and it doesn't help.  I can't disable anymore of the program as far as I can see!  I can't stop it's service but I guess that's by design.

I have to actually uninstall Emsisoft to be able to load this game otherwise it crashes after the logo.  It silently closes writing an exception to event viewer.

This isn't a new issue, it's done this since the release of the games demo last year but I just got the full version of the game so I was more motivated to figure out how to make it work!!

Game demo here if you want to give it a go: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/forza-horizon-3-demo/9nblggh52th6 (Windows 10 only I think)

Let me know if there's any further info I can provide.  I have the event view log entry for instance but I suspect this would be more useful to Microsoft than yourselves and their answer is just to shut down the AV. :(

I recommend adding the game's folder to the exclusions in Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Here are instructions on excluding a folder from scanning and monitoring:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Exclusions in the menu at the top.
  4. To the right of the list to Exclude from scanning, click on the Add folder button.
  5. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  6. To the right of the list to Exclude from monitoring, click on the Add folder button.
  7. Navigate to the folder you would like to exclude, click on it once to select it, and then click OK.
  8. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I usually just exclude the entire Steam folders, or any other game folders. Games aren't usually digitally signed, and they use certain API's that trigger our Behavior Blocker, so it's normal to see the Behavior Blocker detect game files even though they are safe. If game publishers would digitally sign their files then it wouldn't be a problem, but since they don't there's no easy way to exclude game files from behavioral detection.

I also like to exclude games to prevent hooks from being opened to their processes while they are running. Some games don't react well to it (Garry's Mod for instance) and have performance issues, and the exclusions help prevent that.

4 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

How do you decide which games to trust?

Usually I would decide based on whether or not I consider the publisher trustworthy.

As far as I know, there have not been any major incidents with games on Steam containing malicious code, although considering that Valve Software has significantly reduced the standards for games that get sold on Steam it might still be best to stick to games from publishers/developers that are at least somewhat known and can be reasonably trusted.