slopes

Recovery partition

I have a HP, Windows7, recovery partition is showing as D: in computer.

Is this not suppose to be hidden? When I click on it I get a warning "recovery partition"

I need to do a complete restore from the partition

and am wondering if it is not hidden could it be infected with malware?

Thanks

It's not likely, such a partition usually contains an image and that file will not be altered by malware. When you start a restore operation, that image is then put back on your hard disk, wiping everything else.

48 minutes ago, Elise said:

It's not likely, such a partition usually contains an image and that file will not be altered by malware. When you start a restore operation, that image is then put back on your hard disk, wiping everything else.

I thought that was probably the case, but best to ask.

Thank you Elise

Certain computer manufacturers (HP for instance) don't hide their recovery partitions from Windows. I know HP used to use software to deny access to the recovery partition, although I think they eventually decided to stop doing that and instead just store everything in a image format that was either proprietary or relatively unknown. They may also write-protect the recovery partition in other ways, although I would believe that in some cases the partition can actually be restored from disks that you can order from the manufacturer (most will charge money for these disks, and the price can be dependent on whether or not the computer is still under warranty from the manufacturer).

On 12/5/2017 at 4:25 PM, GT500 said:

Certain computer manufacturers (HP for instance) don't hide their recovery partitions from Windows. I know HP used to use software to deny access to the recovery partition, although I think they eventually decided to stop doing that and instead just store everything in a image format that was either proprietary or relatively unknown. They may also write-protect the recovery partition in other ways, although I would believe that in some cases the partition can actually be restored from disks that you can order from the manufacturer (most will charge money for these disks, and the price can be dependent on whether or not the computer is still under warranty from the manufacturer).

I did the recovery , I don't think this was a clean reinstall

math.jpg.24b2b929ca6b686e8fe59358f06f9ccd.jpg
Download Image

Makes me wonder what else made the trip

Thanks GT

Some manufacturers have more than one type of recovery. One that leaves your files and installed programs intact while restoring the default software configuration, and one that wipes out all data on the system and overwrites it with the recovery image. You may need to consult documentation for your computer to figure out what other recovery options are available.

On 12/7/2017 at 6:52 PM, GT500 said:

Some manufacturers have more than one type of recovery. One that leaves your files and installed programs intact while restoring the default software configuration, and one that wipes out all data on the system and overwrites it with the recovery image. You may need to consult documentation for your computer to figure out what other recovery options are available.

I chose to save nothing ,all my files and added programs were deleted.

I see Microsoft has a download for windows 7 now, I think I'll go that route

Thanks GT