xprt007

Is Emisoft Anti-Malware a fully fledged antivirus program?

Hi there

I have just got Emsisoft Anti-Malware full version from a Chip PC/Internet magazine (German), offered to visitors of their site today.
I currently have Avast free antivirus, which has always done a good job. On top of this, I have the free version of Malwarebytes, but which as much as I know a couple of functions I see in the offered "Vollversion - Emsisoft Anti-Malware" disabled, although also the free version has always reliably helped protect the PC by blocking some dangerous stuff. I have never had any issue with the 2.

I suppose that means I can replace Malwarebytes, unless it's OK to have both anti-malware programs, ... or not??

What I'm not sure about is Avast. Is Emisoft Anti-Malware equivalent to Avast free and can fully replace it or it has a different emphasis and can be used to supplement Avast? I know 2, at least fully fledged antivirus programs should not be installed.

I would appreciate a quick response as the offered Emisoft Anti-Malware must be activated TODAY, 7th Dec.

Thank you in advance.

14 hours ago, xprt007 said:

What I'm not sure about is Avast. Is Emisoft Anti-Malware equivalent to Avast free and can fully replace it or it has a different emphasis and can be used to supplement Avast? I know 2, at least fully fledged antivirus programs should not be installed.

Currently, in most cases, installing Emsisoft Anti-Malware alongside of an Avast product will render your computer inoperative. Avast's software will need to be removed before ours is installed, and exclusions will not help.

Note that Emsisoft Anti-Malware is currently not compatible with security software from the following vendors:

• AVG
  • Avast
  • Kaspersky
  • ESET

Exclusions do help with software from ESET. I do not believe exclusions currently help with software from AVG or Kaspersky.

Hi there

Thank you for the comprehensive clarification.

Actually after the first responder explained that EAM is " a complete standalone virus and malware protection program ", it was clear Avast had to first be uninstalled, which I did as I was also under time pressure to install on 7th Dec. for which the 1 year giveaway license is valid.

What I did not remove is the free version of Malwarebytes, with lots of functions disabled, but was in the past very helpful & has always peacefully co-existed with McAfee & then later Avast.

A question I have is ... does it also scan mail, such as in Thunderbird?
That's one of the reasons I valued Avast free & McAfee. I know some, at least free versions of AVG & I think Panda antivirus do not. I assume this being a complete version, that it does ... I'm very much dependent on Thunderbird & appreciate such a function.

My short experience with EAM is so far good. Yesterday, it blocked some Chrome plugin for Ant Download Manager falsely I assumed for suspicious behavior & identifying it as a trojan & something else, although the other software above hadn't [Kerish Doctor & ZoneAlarm antimalware free, previously, in addition] and immediate scans at www.virustotal.com [this & this] after getting this EAM alert, all negative. I've also been several times in touch with the programmer for unrelated reasons & alerted him about the EAM alert.
After initially quarantining it, I later decided to undo this. In the subsequent dialog, I mentioned the experience with the above mentioned software & also included the virustotal.com scan results URLs.
Not too long after, I got an alert from EAM that it could have mistakenly wrongly classified one of my programs & offered to reverse this & restore it, to which I agreed.

I also go an email, hours later from EAM personnel on this. I'm quite impressed by the very rapid reaction.

Thank you & regards

12 hours ago, xprt007 said:

What I did not remove is the free version of Malwarebytes, with lots of functions disabled, but was in the past very helpful & has always peacefully co-existed with McAfee & then later Avast.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should be fine.

12 hours ago, xprt007 said:

A question I have is ... does it also scan mail, such as in Thunderbird?

It doesn't scan e-mails the same way Avast does.

The real-time protection scans most files as they are saved or modified, and there's a setting to change what types of files get automatically scanned (I do not believe that any mail data files are in the list by default, because you don't want protection to start deleting your mail data files). There's also a Custom Scan option to scan inside of e-mail data files. Basically you're not going to be able to open or save a dangerous attachment that comes in an e-mail without it first being scanned.

Please note that our scanner isn't able to delete threats inside an archive or mail data file without deleting the entire archive/data file, so please be careful when reviewing the results of a scan that includes archives and mail data files.

13 hours ago, xprt007 said:

Yesterday, it blocked some Chrome plugin for Ant Download Manager falsely I assumed for suspicious behavior & identifying it as a trojan & something else

That was more than likely the Behavior Blocker, which will flag things entirely on behavior, and only allow things it knows is safe (leaving the rest up to you to decide).

> Yesterday, it blocked some Chrome plugin for Ant Download Manager falsely I assumed

It's possibly worth uploading the plugin file(s) or zip (if it comes zipped/packed in some way) to VirusTotal - https://www.virustotal.com - where it will be scanned by many companies' anti-virus and anti-malware products, so you can see whether they mainly think it safe, or not.   Assuming detections are false is not necessarily a good idea...

2 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

It's possibly worth uploading the plugin file(s) or zip (if it comes zipped/packed in some way) to VirusTotal - https://www.virustotal.com - where it will be scanned by many companies' anti-virus and anti-malware products, so you can see whether they mainly think it safe, or not.   Assuming detections are false is not necessarily a good idea...

Hi

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually, as mentioned in my 3rd response above to GT500, I had already done just that.  :)

... and immediate scans at www.virustotal.com [this & this] after getting this EAM alert, all negative.

VirusTotal is really great!

Kind regards.

Note: PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) detection is disabled for our scanner on VirusTotal, so it is possible that the File Guard detected it as a PUP. You can check and see what detected it by opening Emsisoft Anti-Malware and clicking on Logs to view the Forensics log.