Buddel

EAM wants to scan my printer

Dear all! My printer uses a USB connection to communicate with my computer. Whenever I turn on my printer, EAM asks me whether this removable flash drive (not the exact wording) should be scanned and whether I would like to see this dialog again. I want all removable usb flash drives to be scanned, and yes, I want EAM to ask me whether it should be scanned or not. However, I don't want EAM to ask me if my printer should be scanned.

Is it possible to exclude my printer from being scanned, so that I will not see this dialog again whenever I turn on my printer. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

The wording (if EAM thinks the device is a flash drive) should be telling you that the drive doesn't need an explicit scan because files on it will be scanned as they are accessed.  It's meant to be a reassuring message letting you know that the files on the drive do not need special attention.  You can turn the message off via Security Overview -> Settings - Notifications - Removable devices.

On the other hand, I wonder why your particular printer appears to define itself to the computer as a flash drive?  I have a USB-connected printer here and although I have not turned off the notification, I never get the message from EAM when I turn on or connect the printer.  

What manufacturer and model is your printer? 

Thanks for your reply.

Zitat

You can turn the message ...

I know I can but I want this message to pop up whenever a removable disk or drive is used. However, I don't want to see this message when I turn on my printer.

Zitat

I wonder why your particular printer appears to define itself to the computer as a flash drive?

I don't think it does. It's just EAM that thinks it's a flash drive.

Zitat

What manufacturer and model is your printer?

Don't know at the moment. I will tell you when I'm back home.

You said: > I know I can but I want this message to pop up whenever a removable disk or drive is used.

Why?

Also: > I don't think it does. It's just EAM that thinks it's a flash drive.

I was assuming that since I don't get the message when I plug in my (Brother DCP-7010) printer, that yours must be defining itself as having a drive capability.  Maybe the way print is sent to it is simply that the host computer copies a print file to a virtual disk in your printer, then its firmware prints that file?

vor 6 Minuten schrieb JeremyNicoll:

You said: > I know I can but I want this message to pop up whenever a removable disk or drive is used.

Why?

Because I want all removable disks and drives that are connected to my computer to be scanned by EAM.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb JeremyNicoll:

Also: > I don't think it does. It's just EAM that thinks it's a flash drive.

I was assuming that since I don't get the message when I plug in my (Brother DCP-7010) printer, that yours must be defining itself as having a drive capability.  Maybe the way print is sent to it is simply that the host computer copies a print file to a virtual disk in your printer, then its firmware prints that file?

I don't know. It's just an ordinary printer, nothing special. I have used this printer and lots of different AV, but this is a first time that an anti-malware app regards my printer as an "external storage device". It's just a printer. I do hope this can be fixed; it's really annoying.

It would be great if I could get some technical advice from Emsisoft before my EAM trial period is over (22 days left). Or should I open a support ticket? Thank you.

> Because I want all removable disks and drives that are connected to my computer to be scanned by EAM.

The message does not tell you to scan the drives.  It tells you that there is no need.

> It's just an ordinary printer, nothing special. ...

Well maybe it is, but EAM doesn't (here) do that for every USB-attached device.  It must think yours is more than a printer.  Maybe GT500, when he's next around, will ask for a debug log or something, to see if Emsisoft can find out why it's happening.   He's normally around in a few hours time.  He's in the USA (whereas I'm in Scotland) so it'll most likely be a few hours more before he next posts anything.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb JeremyNicoll:

> Because I want all removable disks and drives that are connected to my computer to be scanned by EAM.

The message does not tell you to scan the drives.  It tells you that there is no need.

There is no need to scan my printer, but I consider it necessary to scan removable disks and drives which are connected to my computer.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb JeremyNicoll:

It must think yours is more than a printer. 

This is the point. I want EAM to recognise my printer as what it is, not as some "external storage device", which it isn't. Would be great if EAM could leave my printer alone.

> here is no need to scan my printer, but I consider it necessary to scan removable disks and drives which are connected to my computer.

WHY?  As soon as your system reads any of the files, they will be scanned anyway.

> This is the point. I want EAM to recognise my printer as what it is, not as some "external storage device"

Usb devices when plugged-in declare to the OS what facilities they provide.  Either there's a bug in EAM or your printer is saying it has a disk-like capability, or both.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb JeremyNicoll:

> This is the point. I want EAM to recognise my printer as what it is, not as some "external storage device"

Usb devices when plugged-in declare to the OS what facilities they provide.  Either there's a bug in EAM or your printer is saying it has a disk-like capability, or both.

Let's just wait for someone from Emsisoft. Maybe they can shed some light on this. If not, I will open a support ticket. If this doesn't fix it either, I would have to look for another anti-malware solution because I find this bug (or whatever it is) very annoying.

PS: Thanks for your help anyway.

7 hours ago, Buddel said:

Whenever I turn on my printer, EAM asks me whether this removable flash drive (not the exact wording) should be scanned and whether I would like to see this dialog again

Some printers have memory card readers in them, and these are detected as removable media when the printer is connected or turned on. Emsisoft Anti-Malware has no way to tell the difference, but you can turn the notification off if you would like to (open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, click on Settings at the top, click on Notifications in the menu that appears below that, and turn off the notification for Removable device connections).

Also, please note that the notification is not intended to tell you that Emsisoft Anti-Malware wants to scan the device. The notification is intended to tell you that there is no need to scan the device due to the way protection works. The option to scan anyway is there because many people want USB flash drives and hard drives to be scanned when connected to their computers.

9 hours ago, GT500 said:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware has no way to tell the difference, but you can turn the notification off if you would like to (open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, click on Settings at the top, click on Notifications in the menu that appears below that, and turn off the notification for Removable device connections).

The AV solutions I have used before could tell the difference, so it's very unfortunate that EAM is not able to do it. I'm aware of the fact that I can turn off these notifications but I want them to pop up whenever a USB flash drive is connected to my computer.

The option to scan anyway is there because many people want USB flash drives and hard drives to be scanned when connected to their computers.

Yes, I belong to these "many people" who want their flash drives to be scanned, but I don't want my printer to be scanned by EAM. 

There does not seem to be a solution to my problem due to the inablility of EAM to tell the difference between USB connections. Hm... maybe I should just go back to my old AV. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Well, yes, it is a simple solution but it's not exactly what I want. Maybe I will give it a try if I decide to buy a one-year licence when my trial period is over. I just don't want to spend 40 euros on an app I'm not entirely satisfied with. Let's wait and see ... ...

16 hours ago, Buddel said:

... due to the inablility of EAM to tell the difference between USB connections.

If Windows sees it as removeable media, then EAM will see it as removeable media.

Does Windows show a mounted drive in Windows Explorer when you turn on your printer?

6 hours ago, GT500 said:

Does Windows show a mounted drive in Windows Explorer when you turn on your printer?

No, it doesn't. Other AV vendors don't treat my printer as "external storage device", so I'm surprised that EAM thinks my printer is some kind of an external drive or something. Strange. Anyway, I disabled notifications for external storage devices due to this Emsisoft bug.

Still don't know if I should buy a one-year licence. Well, another twenty days to think about it before my trial period is over. But there are also things I do like about Emsisoft: top-notch support for a light-weight anti-malware solution.

> so I'm surprised that EAM thinks my printer is some kind of an external drive or something.

You said above that your printer is an Epson Stylus DX7400.    At: https://www.epson.co.uk/products/printers/inkjet-printers/consumer/epson-stylus-dx7400  it says in "Key features":   Photo printing also without a PC – Directly via the integrated memory card reader or by connecting a digital camera via PictBridge.  

That means your printer does have a card reader; you could as easily argue (if EAM didn't detect that) that it should.

Didn't know my printer had a card reader. Well, I have never felt the need for one. Anyway, I disabled the notification feature for external storage devices, but I'm surprised that EAM has so far been the only AV that triggers an alert when I turn on my printer. Other AV solutions only trigger an alert when I connect a real external storage device to my computer.

To sum it up, I do not consider these notifications a major bug or something, it's just a bit annoying, but it would be great if it were possible to disable such notifications for certain hardware components, such as printers and similar devices. 

Would it be possible to send us some debug logs for this issue, so that our developers can look into it? If you'd like to send us logs, then here's what to do:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on your desktop.
  2. Turn the notification for removable devices back on.
  3. In the menu at the top, click on Overview to switch back to the main overview screen.
  4. In the 4 little gray boxes at the bottom, move your mouse into the one that says Support, and click anywhere in that gray box.
  5. At the bottom, change option for Debug logging to Enabled for 1 day.
  6. Close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window.
  7. Turn your printer on, and wait for the notification to appear.
  8. After that, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware again, and click on the gray box for Support again.
  9. Click on the button that says Send an email.
  10. Select the logs in the left that show today's dates.
  11. Fill in the e-mail contact form with your name, your e-mail address, and a description of what the logs are for (if possible please leave a link to the topic on the forums that the logs are related to in your message).
  12. If you have any screenshots or another file that you need to send with the logs, then you can click the Attach file button at the bottom (only one file can be attached at a time).
  13. Click on Send now at the bottom once you are ready to send the logs.

Important: Please be sure to turn debug logging back off after sending us the logs. There are some negative effects to having debug logging turned on, such as reduced performance and wasting hard drive space, and it is not recommended to leave debug logging turned on for a long period of time unless it is necessary to collect debug logs.

Please note that if you have a lot of debugs logs, then you should not send all of them. There is a size limit, and currently there is no error if the message is rejected due to the size being too large. Normally we only need one copy of the 4 or 5 different logs that have been saved after the time you reproduced the issue (the list shows what time each log was saved). Those logs have the following names:

• Security Center
  • Protection Service
  • Real-Time Protection
  • Logs database (contains the logs you can view in Emsisoft Anti-Malware by clicking on Logs at the top of the window).

• Thanks 1

FYI: If you want to have removable media scanned automatically without seeing the notifications, then you can create a Scheduled Scan to do it.

There's a setting to start a scan when USB media is inserted into a USB port. You have to set the Scheduled Scan for a Custom scan, and then plug in media so that you can select the drives that need to be scanned (I recommend also disabling the options to scan for rootkits, scan memory, scan for malware traces, and scan for PUPs as none of those have anything to do with scanning specific drives).

image.png
Download Image

image.png
Download Image

Thanks for the workaround / interim solution. Yes, it's a nice option, but I still hope your QA team will find a solution to the problem I posted above. Again, thank you very much for your top-notch support - it's really great!:)

As I understand what I was told, Windows is reporting the device as a storage device, even though it isn't one. Since Windows is reporting the device incorrectly, and Windows is what manages the hardware, there really isn't much we can do about it without implementing our own way of verifying what kind of hardware has been connected to the computer.

OK, thanks. Maybe it is possible to exclude the printer from being scanned. I don't know, maybe there is some kind of an exclusion rule that can be used. It's not a big deal, I know, but it is annoying to see the Emsisoft popup whenever I turn on my printer. 

The exclusions in Emsisoft Anti-Malware only apply to the scanner, and won't effect the notification for removable devices.

Have you tried checking for updated drivers to see if the manufacturer has made any changes that might effect this issue?

Has Epson's support said anything about why their printer might be seen by Windows as a hard drive?

4 hours ago, GT500 said:

Has Epson's support said anything about why their printer might be seen by Windows as a hard drive?

No. I just tried to install the latest updates, but they are already installed. Technically speaking, Emsisoft's detection of my printer is correct because it has a card reader. It would be great, however, if this printer could be somehow excluded from being detected by EAM.

The card reader does make sense, as Windows can be a little funny about how it handles those.

I can't give an absolute yes or no as to whether or not a new feature would be added. We don't like to say for certain that something is going to be added until a new feature is available in a public beta that people can install and try.

This approach is perfectly fine with me, Arthur. I will just keep on watching this thread and the Beta thread to see what's new. Maybe the feature I need will be added one day.