Sign in to follow this  
mesmerized

Emisoft Anit-Malware software on its own or...?

Hello all,

First of all, I honestly I don't know if this is the right section of the forum for such questions, so please feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

I've always used Malwarebytes (both free and paid versions at different times) but now I'm considering switching to Emisoft. The thing is that I usually had Malwarebytes running along with another piece of software, a stand-alone anti-virus software. Now I'm thinking about purchasing a complete all-in-one solution.

My question is, what's the best, most "inclusive" choice out there? Should I go for Emisoft and stop there or perhaps get a Total Security suite from Bitdefender? Running both of them at the same time doesn't make much sense, does it? I don't know if BD includes anti-malware, though. 

Thank you!

I would always advice to use only one security software installed (of course I'd recommend Emsisoft, but it also goes for other good security products). 

To see why it is not recommended to run more than one AV, see also the following blog article: https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/12/18/do-not-run-multiple-antivirus/

9 hours ago, mesmerized said:

My question is, what's the best, most "inclusive" choice out there? Should I go for Emisoft and stop there or perhaps get a Total Security suite from Bitdefender? Running both of them at the same time doesn't make much sense, does it? I don't know if BD includes anti-malware, though. 

8 hours ago, Elise said:

I would always advice to use only one security software installed (of course I'd recommend Emsisoft, but it also goes for other good security products). 

Hello @mesmerized

I totally agree with @Elise advice, one antivirus is enough; the combo you proposed is totally redundant and will not afford you much more security.

In the past i would advise you to keep Malwarebytes alongside Emsisoft, but now even them are becoming a standalone solution. 

Having 2 Antiviruses doesn't make much sense those days, however adding complementary security softs is common practice for the most paranoid of us (like me).

But for the classic users, Emsisoft alone is enough, what matters the most are your computing practices. Having safe habits will greatly reduce the amount of threats you may encounter.

By learning how your antivirus works, what options it has , will make you safer.

The minimum required in my opinion for the classic "safe habit" user is an Antivirus like Emsisoft and an adblocker.