Ken1943

Internet Connection Sharing Turned On ?

Using Windows FW and Windows FW Control. Looked at rules today and many ICS settings show on and active. Like UPnP in /out  SSDP-In/Out.

No Remote Addresses are shown. Just found Remote Assistance turned on Remote Access OFF which I always set.

Wonder if anyone has seen this before. I have all sharing turned off unless there is a setting I don't know about.

Really weird !

When you turn off File Sharing, all Windows does is create rules in the firewall to block the Windows networking ports. It doesn't automatically block most services (UPnP will always remain open for instance).

Strange that it took months to show up, unless it does that more than once and I did not see it before.

In any event, Happy New Year 

Have to check my desktops. So far only on the one laptop did I see those rules. All my settings are as I have them, no sharing. The very few times I share a file, I just put them on

a flash stick. One computer is hardwired to the router and the other three are wireless. I keep the wireless locked down as much as possible. There are at least

40 wireless networks that I can see around here. Have to watch because Microsoft Windows 10 can be 'updated' to anything.

It's also possible that the software you're using to manage the Windows Firewall is failing to properly read or display the Windows Firewall rules.

Using Windows Firewall Control. That is possible but, using on four machines and this has only showed up on one so far.

Years ago I would have gone a different route with an OS. Apple was too expensive and Linux didn't have the programs I used and the ones they had

did not come up to the quality of Windows programs.

Forget OS/2 for anything !!

I am beginning to thick this may be a one time thing and really nothing to worry about.

Is that Binisoft's WFC?   Are you using a current version?    The WFC forum would be a good place to post if there's a possibility that it's not properly showing the rules that are define.  See: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-firewall-control-wfc-by-binisoft-org.347370/page-149

Edited by JeremyNicoll
corrected a mistake in the URL

47 minutes ago, Ken1943 said:

Using Windows Firewall Control. That is possible but, using on four machines and this has only showed up on one so far.

It does seem rather odd, but there could be a reason why it didn't show the change on 4 machines for so long. Perhaps it's whitelisted somehow so that it doesn't confuse people?

I'm also using Binisoft WFC , after looking at its rules panel, i have those rules enabled too when i disabled them in the past; 

Then i looked at my other machine without WFC , those rules are still disabled, so it clearly shows that WFC is responsible for it, i guess those are default WFC rules, indicated in Windows Firewall  as

WFC - (rule name) 

and probably added when WFC was updated.