SquirmyElk2

Why are logs migrated into forensics?

This new design is quite awkward, and I beleive it should be an optional feature if possible (have the other tabs be restored/keep the other tabs, keeping the view dropdown in forensics in tact). I wonder why this change was made.

Sometimes, the forensics log does not give enough information. For example, the File Guard logs/tab say(s) if something was quarantined by rule, while forensics does not. I also find it awkward that you cannot create (export) separate logs for each tab anymore. It forces me to rely on digging in a forensics log to find what I need.

After adding the Forensics log it was fairly clear that it was more useful than the individual logs, and that it had made the other log tabs redundant. It made sense from a design and usability perspective to remove the redundant log views, and merge everything into a single view with a filter and a search field. Admittedly the filter will take some getting used to, and it does take one or two more mouse clicks to see what you want than having tabs, however we hope that any inconvenience will be minimal as everyone adjusts to the new log filters.

14 minutes ago, SquirmyElk2 said:

Sometimes, the forensics log does not give enough information. For example, the File Guard logs/tab say(s) if something was quarantined by rule or moved to quarantine, while forensics does not.

You can double-click on entries in the log for more information:

(I was going to attach a screenshot, but that appears to not be working right now) Now it's working. Here's the screenshot. ;)

image.png
Download Image

14 minutes ago, SquirmyElk2 said:

I also find it awkward that you cannot create (export) separate logs for each tab anymore. It forces me to rely on digging in a forensics log to find what I need.

The "Export" button only exports whatever is currently visible in the log view. If you had run a search through the logs, then it only exports the search results. If you had used a filter to only see certain log entries, then it only exports what the current filter is displaying.

Where can I find my scan logs now? (Yes I know: C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Reports) but from within the GUI.
If I filter on "scan log" it comes up empty.

No personally I found the separate logs way better than this. Faster and more clear.

Try a different way ..open Forensic logs and type scan into the search box.

Or the new way (which I personally don't like :lol:) is use the components filter log (you get a prize if you work it out !!)

1 hour ago, maniac2003 said:

Where can I find my scan logs now? (Yes I know: C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Reports) but from within the GUI.
If I filter on "scan log" it comes up empty.

No personally I found the separate logs way better than this. Faster and more clear.

in "view" dropdown, under "components", untick "select all", tick "scanner"

20 minutes ago, m0unds said:

Can you show what you mean, I can only sort the columns. I see no boxes to tick/untick.

1 hour ago, stapp said:

Try a different way ..open Forensic logs and type scan into the search box.

Or the new way (which I personally don't like :lol:) is use the components filter log (you get a prize if you work it out !!)

okay, that sort of works. Still not as handy as before. Also can't recall older scan logs that way, as they don't show up.
No prize for me then. Components filter how??

snip_20180106201009.png
Download Image

25 minutes ago, maniac2003 said:

Can you show what you mean, I can only sort the columns. I see no boxes to tick/untick.

okay, that sort of works. Still not as handy as before. Also can't recall older scan logs that way, as they don't show up.
No prize for me then. Components filter how??

snip_20180106201009.png
Download Image
Download Image

looks like you might be on an older product build. this is what the current one looks like:

emsisoft.thumb.png.5a5dd339e2ef948e41ade501c009436c.png
Download Image

There is/was an intermittent bug that was seen in beta testing that sometimes hides the actions/components tick boxes.  You should be able to get them to show by dragging the righthandside of the window further to the right. 

• Upvote 1

The overlapping searchbox issue will be fixed in the January stable release. It happens when you maximize the main screen, followed by a restore to previous size.

If you restart your pc or end task for a2start.exe and reopen the GUI, the overlap will be gone.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 1:39 PM, m0unds said:

You might want to experiment with the options under "Components" and "Actions", as there can be some difference. For instance, when viewing update logs, under "Components" they are under "User" (updates stated manually) and "Scheduler" (updates stated automatically), whereas under "Actions" I would believe that update logs are all grouped in the same category.