Build 8334-New GUI Log Change -Inadequate-Backwards

Yilee

Hello

Once a day after manually updating I go to the Logs Tab, then starting from Right to Left with  the Update tab then Quarantine etc.. to the Forensics tab, I very quickly check the top 2 or 3 entries in each section to see what happened since yesterday and it goes very fast and the results are concise. Lastly, I glance at the Forensics section to see if it confirms and very occasionally I will go through it's HX to check previous silent Browsing Blocks or other Historical events, but very seldom . This approach gives me great conformation and reassurance that all is in order and if not that I will definitely see any problems and I no longer have to think twice about the matter.

Now with Build 8334 the only log remaining is a complicated Forensics Log with a Convoluted Management Drop-Down Box that takes up my time to deal with it plus I'm not certain that the upper section choice is much different from the lower section choices. Of course I did not give the Drop-Down List much of a chance because I knew right away that this was Cost-Cutting measure or a Code-Cutting measure not meant to serve it's users as well as the previous layout.

Most all of the time these GUI changes are for the Best and the program is still one of my favorite modern contemporary program-app like installs. Also, in most cases the improvement is obvious and I go on my way without comment. However I have noticed that in the Main forum and in the Beta forum the advantages of the Majority of major GUI changes (good or bad) are not fully explained.

This change has irritated me so much that I switched all 3 computers to delayed Update and will stay there until I am forced off or the Log situation is changed back or improved. I don't want to go back to using ONE Forensics Log that requires more time and attention to see what has taken place especially if I have not checked the log for a few days. Do you really thing people want to use optional drop-down filters to segregate only what they want to see at any time. The previous segregation worked wonderfully.

I suppose it won't matter much if EAM starts to slowly go Downhill like many other things in this day and time.  I plan on using Windows 7 well past 2020 (to keep using certain Non-Linux Programs when needed) along with Linux Mint or similar for Online activities. I am betting that Microsoft will offer the public extended security updates for Win7 for a monthly or yearly fee. I know that I as well as others would pay to continue using the best user friendly Windows OS ever build. They will never get the majority of users to use Windows 10 in it's current state.

Based on Emsisoft's  HX, I expect that EAM will no longer support Win7 past the year 2020, although I hope you can find the strength to push back at MS and support Win7 as long as the public continues to  fervently use it and you had better start working on a Linux Version. There are a lot of Windows 7 users who have already tried and  accepted certain Linux programs and will jump to them as soon as Windows 7 is truly unsafe to use online. That day is not far away.

What will Emsisoft do? Continue to offer the best AV-Malware program on the market when used with other security measures or will you start to Dumb Down your customers with changes such as the new Log-Forensics Log Only which in some ways is similar to how Microsoft has dumbed down Windows 10 GUI  meaningful user option-preference configuration access along with increased Telemetry.  Please, no comments from newer users who have never used Windows 7.

Thanks, Yilee

You don't have to use the drop-down at all.  It's probably easier for you to type something into the 'Search' box, which will then filter the displayed lines to show only those with a relevant message.   If you're looking for the entries that are recent they'll all be at the top of the display anyway (assuming it's sorted that way).

Otherwise, use the dropdown: click under "Components" on "Select all" to turn off display of all entries then click the type you want to see, eg "Behaviour Blocker".   If you always want to see only one or types of entry, just leave it set like that, and change the selected type when you want to see something else

After adding the Forensics log it was fairly clear that it was more useful than the individual logs, and that it had made the other log tabs redundant. It made sense from a design and usability perspective to remove the redundant log views, and merge everything into a single view with a filter and a search field. Admittedly the filter will take some getting used to, and it does take one or two more mouse clicks to see what you want than having tabs, however we hope that any inconvenience will be minimal as everyone adjusts to the new log filters.

6 minutes ago, Yilee said:

... I'm not certain that the upper section choice is much different from the lower section choices.

They show the same data, but the difference is that one is a list of program components that you can filter log entries by, whereas the other is a list of actions that you can filter log entries by. In many cases the "Actions" should be all you need, however if you want to be able to see only manual updates then you can filter by "User" under "Components" to see only actions initiated by a user and then type "Update" in the search field, so both sections in the filters can come in handy.

17 minutes ago, Yilee said:

I don't want to go back to using ONE Forensics Log that requires more time and attention to see what has taken place especially if I have not checked the log for a few days. Do you really thing people want to use optional drop-down filters to segregate only what they want to see at any time. The previous segregation worked wonderfully.

I understand that it will take some time to get used to the changes in viewing logs, however if you don't mind the question, may I ask how viewing the logs from different programs components in separate tabs is that much different than viewing them in the same list using a filter? Is there any information you need to see that it isn't showing? Is the format for viewing the information more confusing or not well laid out?

If you have any suggestions for how to improve the filters and how the Forensics log entries are displayed, then please let us know.

Both Jeremy and GT500 have confirmed what I was pointing out!

1. I don't want to type anythingI don't like  Drop-Down options unless they improve the interaction. In this case they degrade the interaction!  prefer to click and move on quickly in each of the older style columns and only see info that pertains to one of the previous 6 log sections, and then occasionally the Forensics column was useful for a all in one historical check  with a slightly different perspective to see if certain actions were interfering with other processes etc...  I want every log column ready to go without changing anything except grabbing the scrollbar. Typing is for other areas such as Protection where you are looking for a specific rule or etc...

2. I disagree that the Forensics Log by itself was more useful and made the other logs redundant. Sometimes the Forensics log would not catch changes that the other logs did catch for whatever reason did not. So, that makes all the logs helpful and much more organized.

3. I would rather mindlessly click 6 or 7 columns than to thoughtfully with effort use a drop down list to catch up on Log HX!

4. Please don't placate me with answers that are inherently false and at best trying to brush off the issue that this change is a backwards move.

5. I will stay on the DELAYED UPDATE until forced off.

6. Let's have a vote on this one. Everyone please chime in on this particular change because if you let this one go by without protest then in a short while EAM will be so dumbed down because of CODE-COST-CUTTING-MEASURES  that you will not be able to recognize it in the near future.

Not everyone was keen on the old approach; if you wanted to find everything that happened around a certain time previously you had to look in separate tabs AND - unless you took notes - you couldn't see exactly when things happening around the same time happened relative to each other.  At least with the 'forensics' single log, all the entries even if they're only seconds apart can be seen easily in their correct relationships to each other.

As far as (2) goes, before everything was merged into the 'Forensics' log, of course the previous version of that log didn't always catch everything... but now it does.

As far as (4) goes, the idea that this is a backward move is just a matter of opinion.   I do not think you are being given "answers that are inherently false"... if you think otherwise you will need to show what FACTS you've been given are not true.

As far as (5) goes.... good luck.  Surely the important thing is that EAM protects your system well.  Logging is secondary to that.

As far as (6) goes, it's not "dumbed down".  All the same information is available, with a great deal more ability to home in on precisely the specific log types of log entries that might interest a particular user.    /You/ might not like the interface, but there's no evidence that any of the log entries have been dropped or made less detailed.  

Edited by JeremyNicoll
fixed typo
  • Like 1

At my age all these changes are making me feel old. Logging, Windows Firewall, general security ,Windows 10 and all the site password changes.

This is just another one to adjust to. At least my brain can still adjust for now.

Figured logging out. Just check the important ones you want to watch.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:18 PM, Yilee said:

Sometimes the Forensics log would not catch changes that the other logs did catch for whatever reason did not. So, that makes all the logs helpful and much more organized.

All of the logs are pulled from the same database, and all logged events should show in the Forensics log.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:18 PM, Yilee said:

... in a short while EAM will be so dumbed down because of CODE-COST-CUTTING-MEASURES  that you will not be able to recognize it in the near future.

Removing components from the software and implementing new ones takes time and costs money (after all, developers have to be paid for doing that work). Also, no effort was necessary to maintain the old tabbed log views, so we didn't save ourselves any money by making these changes. The logging mechanism is still there, and still saves all of the same data that it did before. We've only changed how the logs are viewed, and you can still see everything that gets logged, it's just in one place instead of spread out across multiple tabs.