JeremyNicoll

Forum software - why does behaviour vary from day to day?

Some days whenever I click the thing to the lefthand side of a subforum's title, I get a pop-up panel asking  "Are you sure you want to mark this as read?".... and on other days I never see this.   Then it comes back for a while, then goes again...    Is it just me?     Why isn't it consistent?

If you click on the icon for a subforum, then it's supposed to act as a "Mark as read" button. The only time I know of that it might not work that way is when everything in the subforum is already marked as "read".

It might also be possible for certain keyboard buttons to modify what it does when you click, sort of like how holding "Ctrl" and right-clicking brings up a different menu in the reply field.

The thing always acts as a 'mark as read' button (but is greyed-out when the subforum has no unread items), but on an unpredictable basis the forum pops up an 'Are you sure' pane some of the time.   I'm using Firefox 57.0.3 on 64bit Windows.

I'm not pressing any modifiers.  The pop-up looks like: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d386sc0l07pk7c2/20180104 Emsi forum - Are you sure.jpg?dl=0

Edited by JeremyNicoll
added browser details

It's probably supposed to ask all the time (or at least when there's more than one unread thread in a forum). More than likely just a minor bug in the forum software.

On 1/6/2018 at 6:24 AM, JeremyNicoll said:

Do you ever see it?     Do other users?

I've seen the same inconsistency that you do. Usually I see no warning, but I have seen it once at least. I just don't use that feature very often.