cuishaobo

Is the current stable version of EAM compatible with the Windows update for "Meltdown"

According to several reports, the latest Windows 10 Update pushed on Jan. 3rd is supposed to address the "Meltdown" security problem. However, due to changes to Windows kernel, Microsoft didn't make the update available to users without the "ALLOW REGKEY", and directed users to confirm with AV vendors if their products are compatible with the latest update. So is the current version of EAM compatible with this update?

• Upvote 2

> Following this thread (can't find a way to do this without a post ! )

You click on the "Follow" link just to the right of the thread title above, and choose the options then displayed according to what you want.

25 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

> Following this thread (can't find a way to do this without a post ! )

You click on the "Follow" link just to the right of the thread title above, and choose the options then displayed according to what you want.

Thanks, Jeremy. Couldn't see for looking !

10 hours ago, cuishaobo said:

According to several reports, the latest Windows 10 Update pushed on Jan. 3rd is supposed to address the "Meltdown" security problem. However, due to changes to Windows kernel, Microsoft didn't make the update available to users without the "ALLOW REGKEY", and directed users to confirm with AV vendors if their products are compatible with the latest update. So is the current version of EAM compatible with this update?

As per the following it appears that the current version of EAM has not yet been updated to accept The WIn 10 Meltdown Update.

"...If users aren't willing to search their antivirus product's homepage for such info, if they find the following registry key on their systems, the antivirus product has already been updated to support the Meltdown and Spectre patches.

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD”

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-releases-emergency-updates-to-fix-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-flaws/

I'm sure that Emsisoft will be working on this as we speak, and that an update will be available as soon as possible.

I think they are very quiet because they are very busy behind the scenes :)

Have confidence paulderdash :)

According to reports the disclosure for this was to be on 9th January so some organisations and av companies may have been preparing their software for this date, but now have had their hand forced are are working hard behind the scenes I suspect to get things pushed through.

Researchers had initially planned on disclosing the security holes on January 9, but disclosure was moved up due to media reports and speculation surrounding the topic. Affected tech companies have already started informing users about the risks and the availability of patches and mitigations.

http://www.securityweek.com/tech-giants-address-critical-cpu-vulnerabilities

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is compatible with the Windows update. We also just published an update that sets the compatibility flag for all users of the beta, stable and delayed update feed. Keep in mind, that Microsoft uses the same flag for all anti-virus vendors. That means if you are using multiple anti-viruses or anti-malware applications, you are risking one of those products, like Emsisoft Anti-Malware, flagging the system as compatible, even though one of your other products is not compatible. There is, unfortunately, nothing we can do to prevent this as Microsoft does not account for the scenario of multiple security products being installed on the same system. This is the perfect example why we are recommending against using multiple security products in parallel. For further information, feel free to stop by our blog.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, stapp said:

According to reports the disclosure for this was to be on 9th January so some organisations and av companies may have been preparing their software for this date, but now have had their hand forced are are working hard behind the scenes I suspect to get things pushed through.

http://www.securityweek.com/tech-giants-address-critical-cpu-vulnerabilities

Surf protection blocked a phising host at this link

EAM update and Microsoft Update (restart required) went in without a problem.

Thanks to Emsi devs for the work behind the scenes getting this done 

12 hours ago, slopes said:

Surf protection blocked a phising host at this link

I'm not getting one when I visit the page. It was either fixed already, or was just due to an ad or third-party script in the page.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

I'm not getting one when I visit the page. It was either fixed already, or was just due to an ad or third-party script in the page.

I am still getting the alert, false positive maybe?

phs.jpg
Download Image

4 minutes ago, stapp said:

I don't see it with Edge or Opera on Win 10.

That's strange, there is a pop up right when the alert is given

Using Windows 7 

45 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

Maybe @slopes doesn't use an ad blocker?

I see brightinfo.com blocked by uBlock Origin on my laptop using chrome (and no alert from Emsisoft AM)

Schermopname (1).png
Download Image
Download Image

That's correct Gandalf, I don't use an ad blocker , the host is in EAM's surf protection built in list.

11 hours ago, slopes said:

I am still getting the alert, false positive maybe?

Thanks for the screenshot. I've asked our malware analysts about it.

BTW: We highly recommend an ad blocker of some sort. uBlock Origin is usually recommended simply because it is more efficient and uses less resources, however you can use any ad blocker you like (Adblock Plus, Adblock, Adguard, etc).

Note that for Google Chrome, if you go with uBlock Origin, I also recommend uBlock Origin Extra, which attempts to prevent certain content blocker circumvention techniques (note that technically uBlock Origin is considered a "content blocker" rather than an "ad blocker", because by default it blocks much more than ads, including malicious/dangerous websites). I think most of the other common ad blockers are also capable of functioning this way, however you may need to tweak their block lists to make sure that they are configured to block everything you want them to.

12 hours ago, GT500 said:

Thanks for the screenshot. I've asked our malware analysts about it.

BTW: We highly recommend an ad blocker of some sort. uBlock Origin is usually recommended simply because it is more efficient and uses less resources, however you can use any ad blocker you like (Adblock Plus, Adblock, Adguard, etc).

Note that for Google Chrome, if you go with uBlock Origin, I also recommend uBlock Origin Extra, which attempts to prevent certain content blocker circumvention techniques (note that technically uBlock Origin is considered a "content blocker" rather than an "ad blocker", because by default it blocks much more than ads, including malicious/dangerous websites). I think most of the other common ad blockers are also capable of functioning this way, however you may need to tweak their block lists to make sure that they are configured to block everything you want them to.

Ok thank you GT, I will check out your suggestions