Dnggt56

Weird "Setup" folder appears in downloads folder, and after i installed and opened roguekiller noscript gave cross site script warning about some attack when browser automatically opened the "thanks downloading roguekiller" page

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

scan_180105-185403.txt

The noscript pop up warning said

Noscript detected a potential cross-site scripting attack from [...] to https://ww.malwarebytes.com

Suspicious data:

TypeError: ic is undefined,(URL) https://ww.malwarebytes.com/images/mb-logo-2.png

I removed the first W from the addresses so that they are not functional in case they lead to malicious code.

7 hours ago, Kevin Zoll said:

Your logs show no malware.  The NoScript alert is very likely a false positive.

But what about that Setup folder? Its pretty weird because i didnt download anything that would have created such folder because by the time i saw it i only had installed windows, installed motherboard drivers from motherboards disc, updated windows, installed firefox and added noscript and ublock, and when i downloaded graphic card drivers i noticed that Setup folder which apparently was there all along as its creation time was way earlier than anything i mentioned.

Its very weird because the Setup folders creation time is 5.1 03:59 and my pc was not even on at that time, i had it shut down.

Delete the folder C:\Users\Amm\Downloads\Setup.  Restart the computer.

Is the folder recreated?

On 9.1.2018 at 2:23 AM, Kevin Zoll said:

Delete the folder C:\Users\Amm\Downloads\Setup.  Restart the computer.

Is the folder recreated?

I deleted it and it did not return, the folder was empty btw

I would like for you to run a tool that targets Adware and Junkware in general. It may find something that FRST is not showing.

Please download AdwCleaner and save it on your desktop.

1. Close all open programs and Internet browsers (you may want to print out or write down these instructions first).
  2. Double click on the AdwCleaner icon to run it.
  3. You will need to accept the license agreement from Malwarebytes in order to continue.
  4. Click on the Scan button in the lower-left.
  5. When the scan is done, a log will open in Notepad. You can close this Notepad window before continuing.
  6. If something was found on your computer, then click on the Clean button in the lower-left (where the "Scan" button was earlier).
  7. AdwCleaner will warn you that it will close all running processes (programs). Click OK to continue when ready.
  8. After the cleaning process is done, you will be prompted to restart your computer. Please click Reboot now when ready to restart your computer.
  9. A text file will open in Notepad after the restart (this is the log of what was removed), which you can save on your desktop.
  10. Please attach that log file to a reply for me to review.
  11. If you lose that log file for any reason, you can find it at C:\AdwCleaner[C0] on your computer.

Also regardin the "setup" folder, in farbar log i can see other entries at the same exact time:

2018-01-05 03:59 - 2018-01-05 04:08 - 000022352 _____ (RW-Everything) C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Drivers\AsrSetupDrv.sys
2018-01-05 03:59 - 2018-01-05 03:59 - 000000000 ____D C:\Users\Amm\Downloads\Setup
2018-01-05 03:59 - 2018-01-05 03:59 - 000000000 ____D C:\Users\Amm\AppData\Local\Comms

AsrSetupDrv.sys could be some Asrock motherboard driver file

AsrSetupDrv.sys ASROCK driver

C:\Users\Amm\AppData\Local\Comms  Windows Mail storage folder

The items in the RogueKiller log are normal.

42 minutes ago, Kevin Zoll said:

AsrSetupDrv.sys ASROCK driver

C:\Users\Amm\AppData\Local\Comms  Windows Mail storage folder

The items in the RogueKiller log are normal.

Do you think the Setup folder is related to those other two and hence legitimate?

Yeah. What about that cross site script warning? What malwarebytes.com has to do with adlice website? I couldnt recreate that warning, i tried going to same site again after resetting noscript but it did not give that warning again.

Adlice Software is a legit site and distributes RogueKiller, whose main developer is an employee of Malwarebytes.  NoScript is incorrectly alerting on that site.

4 hours ago, Kevin Zoll said:

Adlice Software is a legit site and distributes RogueKiller, whose main developer is an employee of Malwarebytes.  NoScript is incorrectly alerting on that site.

Alright. What about that youtube warning? Is that also false positive? Im not an expert on noscript, but it seems to be saying that the attack is coming from youtube to google ads site, not that the threat is coming from google ads? If it indeed means that attack is coming from youtube.com, then its 99,99% false positive as youtube is not distributing malware.

I am unable to determine if that is XSS attack or a malformed URL, part of the URL does appear to be encrypted.

Hmm, should I be worried? I though it was false positive because it appeared when browsing youtube. But here are new farbar logs, if you could review these to determine if something came from it or if pc has been infected from elsewhere since i uploaded the previous farbar logs.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt