Amon

Mapping limit for this key reached for today

I'm all of a sudden getting this error message. 

I did upgrade my graphics card though from a Zotac GTX 960 to an EVGA GTX 1080 8GB 2 days ago. I also installed the Glasswire firewall. just letting you know this if it may help with my issue. 

I've had to click the 30 day trial button again to enable protection. 

SIDENOTE: My license key was generated by emsisoft from the Internet Security Suite to the antimalware suite. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. I have an account with emsisoft and can provide the receipt and license number.

Regards

emsisoftmappinglimit1.thumb.jpg.def507ccc5c256a2a2a5ee72b4b278b1.jpg
Download Image

Something appears to be blocking the connection to arctic.emsisoft.com (there's no response from the server recorded in the log). What happens if you try to visit https://arctic.emsisoft.com/ in your browser? Does it redirect you to our homepage?

It looks like you're using GlassWire to manage the Windows Firewall. Does it have logs that show when it blocks something? It's possible that the firewall configuration is preventing access to the server.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:26 PM, GT500 said:

Something appears to be blocking the connection to arctic.emsisoft.com (there's no response from the server recorded in the log). What happens if you try to visit https://arctic.emsisoft.com/ in your browser? Does it redirect you to our homepage?

It looks like you're using GlassWire to manage the Windows Firewall. Does it have logs that show when it blocks something? It's possible that the firewall configuration is preventing access to the server.

Hello. So I think I'm using  giveaway license too. ¿Is there any con of getting the "mapping limit"?

By the way. ¿What is the function of the mapping?¿It will affect the functionality of emsisfot?

King Regards

What do you mean by "giveaway" licence?   

The mapping limit, I think, is used to make sure that the PC a licenced product was first used on is still the same PC, or is only changing a little.  I think it can cope with the PC's hardware signature changing slowly over time (so adding disks or changing a graphics card shouldn't matter), and neither should installing the program in a different PC (if you no longer use it in the previous PC), but not lots of changes (which would suggest someone's trying to use the same licence on more PCs than it is licenced for.

5 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

What do you mean by "giveaway" licence?  

Occasionally one of our partners will do a giveaway, and a few people will win free licenses.

6 hours ago, Andante9128 said:

Hello. So I think I'm using  giveaway license too. ¿Is there any con of getting the "mapping limit"?

By the way. ¿What is the function of the mapping?¿It will affect the functionality of emsisfot?

When a license key is activated in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, our license servers "map" the computer it is activated on to that license key. If that license key is then activated on another computer, the license key is then "remapped" to the new computer. There is a limit to how many times this can be done in a day before the system will lock out the license key from being remapped to another computer for 24 hours.

If the license key is in use on more computers than it is intended for, then the license key will be remapped at least twice every hour (once for each extra computer it is in use on). Once the mapping limit is exceeded, for 24 hours only the last computer the license key was activated on can use it, and if extra computers (beyond what the license was intended for) verify license information with our servers then they will essentially function in freeware mode (meaning no protection) until that 24 hours is over.

18 hours ago, GT500 said:

Occasionally one of our partners will do a giveaway, and a few people will win free licenses. 

When a license key is activated in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, our license servers "map" the computer it is activated on to that license key. If that license key is then activated on another computer, the license key is then "remapped" to the new computer. There is a limit to how many times this can be done in a day before the system will lock out the license key from being remapped to another computer for 24 hours.

If the license key is in use on more computers than it is intended for, then the license key will be remapped at least twice every hour (once for each extra computer it is in use on). Once the mapping limit is exceeded, for 24 hours only the last computer the license key was activated on can use it, and if extra computers (beyond what the license was intended for) verify license information with our servers then they will essentially function in freeware mode (meaning no protection) until that 24 hours is over.

So it means that if I got attacked by a ransoware right now emsisoft won't do anything ?

A better question is why EAM thinks your PC hardware keeps changing.    Are you changing disk drives (eg using caddied drives?) or other cards repeatedly?  Or running Windows in a VM under some other OS, and changing the virtual machine's architecture? 

46 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

A better question is why EAM thinks your PC hardware keeps changing.    Are you changing disk drives (eg using caddied drives?) or other cards repeatedly?  Or running Windows in a VM under some other OS, and changing the virtual machine's architecture? 

No I'm not but i have a giveaway license

> No I'm not ...

Unless someone at Emsisoft or wherever has made a mistake and given your licence to someone else as well, there must be a reason why EAM installed on your machine keeps thinking the machine is changing.   Are you using it on more machines than the licence permits?

1 hour ago, Andante9128 said:

So it means that if I got attacked by a ransoware right now emsisoft won't do anything ?

If Emsisoft Anti-Malware isn't activated with a license key, then that is correct. Freeware mode has no protection.

46 minutes ago, Andante9128 said:

No I'm not but i have a giveaway license

The partners who do giveaways don't generally give a license key to more than one person. I take it the license key has been shared (either among friends/family or online)?