Jonathan Starr

Policy Name issue

Emsisoft Enterprise Console version 2017.12.0.3282

I'm having an issue with the policy names on some policies.

I created them by cloning the 'New Computers' policy and renaming them, then dragging them up one level to be under 'Organisation'.

In the Policies screen they show the correct names. In the Clients screen two of them are called 'New Group [x]'. I deleted one and recreated it and it was still called 'New Group' in the Clients screen. 

Am I doing something incorrectly when making these?

Policy Screen.png
Download Image

Clients Screen.png
Download Image

Hi Jonathan Starr,

Seems like a bug.

Could you try to drag these computers to another group and drag them back to see if the groupname in the overview screen will be updated to the correct one ?

2 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Hi Jonathan Starr,

Seems like a bug.

Could you try to drag these computers to another group and drag them back to see if the groupname in the overview screen will be updated to the correct one ?

Thanks for the quick reply Frank H. I dragged the computer responsible for the top 'New Group 2' in my screenshot to 'Development'. The Client screen showed it was now in 'Development'. I then dragged it back to 'Production' and the Client screen showed it was back as 'New Group 2' again.

So the issue follows the groups not the machines by the look of it.

Regards, Jonathan

Ok, restarting the service again after trying some more things has caused 'Organisation' to now be named 'Production'. The ComputerGroups table in the ae2System db does not look correct (attached). I'm going to have a go at fixing ComputerGroups and the linked ids in the other tables manually and see if I can get things straightened out.

Database.png
Download Image

thanks.

I'm running latest EEC version 2017.12 and the context menu on 'New computers' is disabled, so i can't clone that group. How did you manage that ?

1 hour ago, Frank H said:

thanks.

I'm running latest EEC version 2017.12 and the context menu on 'New computers' is disabled, so i can't clone that group. How did you manage that ?

I'm not sure, I can't replicate it when I try now. I can't guarantee I'm remembering correctly but I am fairly sure that's what I did.

(Edit: I think) I've fixed my issue by rejiggling the database and it seems to be working properly now. Adding new groups by cloning existing ones has produced working groups so far.

Thanks

I've fixed my issue by rejiggling the database 

Pls be careful with such changes. We can't provide support when table data is being modified by users.

A better option would be to just remove the faulty group and create a new one by cloning.

cheers

11 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Thanks

Pls be careful with such changes. We can't provide support when table data is being modified by users.

A better option would be to just remove the faulty group and create a new one by cloning.

cheers

Understood, I won't be touching anything else in there. I think the only other solution to this would be have been a fresh install though, it doesn't seem possible to rename the group root from the GUI and some of the new groups I cloned were also defective until I adjusted things.

Have I provided enough information for you to log this with the developers as a issue? I have a copy of the broken db if you would like.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Have I provided enough information for you to log this with the developers as a issue?

Nope, as i like to know exactly what you did to replicate ;) it seems that cloning the 'new computers' group is not possible anymore, so we can't replicate.

You could always send a db with the name issue to us and we can do the rename for you, when it might happen again and you can't resolve it by deleting and cloning again.  A fresh reinstall will work for sure, but you, will loose all your settings.

cheers

1 hour ago, Frank H said:

Nope, as i like to know exactly what you did to replicate

I can't replicate the same issue currently but I have managed to reliably create what may possibly be a related issue, it seems to be highly timing related:

Description: This will create a group at the same level as the special group 'Organisation', it will also have a different name between the 'Policies' and the 'Clients' screen.

Steps:

1. Clone 'Organisation' to a new group (New group 1).
  2. Clone 'New group 1', this will create a new child group (New group 2).
  3. Rename 'New group 2' to 'aaaaaa'.
  4. Drag 'aaaaaa' to the 'Organisation' group to change its level.
  5. Add a computer to 'aaaaaa'.
  6. Rename 'New group 2' to 'bbbbbb'.

Notes: Steps 2, 3 and 4 must be completed quickly.

Results: 'bbbbbb' will now be on the same level as 'Organisation' not a child of it as is normal, it will also have two different names depending on the screen you are on.

If you try to delete 'bbbbbb' you may also get: 

The given DataRow is not in the current DataRowCollection.
   at System.Data.DataRowCollection.Remove(DataRow row)
   at A2EGui.Screens.ClientSettings.ComputerGroupsScreen.RemoveSubTree(ComputerGroup computerGroup, List`1 computerGroups)
   at A2EGui.Screens.ClientSettings.ComputerGroupsScreen.DeleteGroup()
   at A2EGui.Screens.ClientSettings.ComputerGroupsScreen.bDelete_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at DevExpress.Utils.Controls.ControlBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at DevExpress.XtraEditors.BaseControl.WndProc(Message& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Policies.png
Download Image

Clients.png.3259505da97ee5fd47f3cb597872c53c.png
Download Image

Edit: I have also managed to create two 'New group 1' groups after doing this, one as a child of the other. And after deleting the groups I get an error that 'aaaaaa' or 'bbbbbb' already exists as a name now.