Scan Hung Again

Ken1943

This from puter #3 scan hung up. FRST run while happening.

First time with a desktop. Other 2x were with laptops. Laptops have Malwarebytes, desktops have Zemana as secondary security.

Usually happens on first boot of day and not all the time (of course !!) Security has cross exclusion of folders.

FRST)        Addition.txt.txt

Is this continuing on from: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/28822-scheduled-scan-hangs/   ?

When the scan hangs, is the whole machine unusable, or just EAM?

If you have to reboot to get the machine usable again, does Event Manager show anything significant in the run-up to the hang?

Which OS?

How old are the disks in the machine concerned?   Spinning rust or SSDs?   Any other weird behaviours?  I/O errors?  Files that sometimes can't be read or eg a 'rename' doesn't seem to work?   Had any BSODs recently? 

What /IS/ the type of problem, then?       (Type of disks matters if the disks are the spinning kind and becoming unreliable.  I/O errors might be your problem.  SSD firmware is more likely to notice its different kind of problems.  My experience of SMART disk reporting is of several spinning rust disks reporting ok through SMART right up to the point where they failed catastrophically, and I do not think I'm alone in that respect.)

I don't know how you expect GT500 to help you if you're unwilling to look for more information... unless you know that the FRST reports (which of course people like me cannot see) contain something pertinent.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:46 AM, Ken1943 said:

This from puter #3 scan hung up.

Where did the scan hang? At roughly 80%?

On 1/21/2018 at 12:02 PM, Ken1943 said:

The type of disks have nothing to do with this type of problem

The type of disk can have a great impact on scan performance and responsiveness (as well as responsiveness of the system while the scan is running).

On 1/21/2018 at 8:46 AM, Ken1943 said:

First time with a desktop. Other 2x were with laptops. Laptops have Malwarebytes, desktops have Zemana as secondary security.

Does the issue happen without these other security softwares installed?

The usual hang is with a driver in \Windows\System32 did not note which driver was involved this time since every hang was a different driver.

I am going to change scan settings in case one is scanning while another is updating. A drive would not cause this type of problem. This must be some sort of conflict

which I will try to find.   3 different puters with different security programs and the only single program in common is Emisisoft anti-malware. I will find the problem on my own.

23 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

A drive would not cause this type of problem. This must be some sort of conflict

On Windows 7 with a magnetic hard drive, it is not uncommon to have scan performance issues. Windows 10 is usually OK though.

Note that it could also be filesystem issues. Have you tried running chkdsk from the recovery environment or from a boot disk?

Also, does the scan freeze when the system is running in Safe Mode?

23 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

The usual hang is with a driver in \Windows\System32 did not note which driver was involved this time since every hang was a different driver.

What percentage is the scan at when it hangs/freezes? It is completely normal for scans to hang at 80% for a little while, as that's where the scanner calculates how many files it has left to scan so that it can display an accurate percentage completed. How long it hangs depends on how many files it has to scan and the speed of the drive.

@Ken1943 - in your earlier thread you only implicated a single machine - an HP laptop.  I didn't immediately realise that /this/ occurrence is on a different machine.   Also at the start of /this/ thread you suggest the problem " Other 2x were with laptop/s/"... so does that mean despite only mentioning laptop with the problem in the last thread, it had happened on two laptops?  And so all three machines have had this happen?

I can see why you wouldn't think it's a problem with one machine's disk.  

Do all three machines only scan their own disks?  No network drives or anything shared?

It happened on 3 different puters weeks apart and always on first boot of day, never with any other boot. Always stuck on a driver in \system32 that is why I got log file posted. All use a ssd. Since Anti-malware does a scan on boot, gets updates on boot along with other programs, it is a timing problem. I have changed scan schedules for now.

I wouldn't have expected the exact duration of a scan (dependent on what else is going on during boot), or the duration of an update process (fetching different numbers of different-sized files each day, then installing them) to have that level of repeatability.  And I also would have hoped that Emsisoft had designed EAM so that if updates happening during a scan were a problem, the install phase of that (if  not the file fetches) would be deferred.

You could possibly run EAM with debug logging on.  It generates a lot of output and you'd want to delete old log files every day to stop them taking over your disk(s).  It might also slow the machine(s) down too much, and - if it really IS a timing problem - having debug logging on might prevent the problem from happening, which would mean you'd get all the overheads and not be any the wiser.

8 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

It happened on 3 different puters weeks apart and always on first boot of day, never with any other boot. Always stuck on a driver in \system32 that is why I got log file posted. All use a ssd. Since Anti-malware does a scan on boot, gets updates on boot along with other programs, it is a timing problem. I have changed scan schedules for now.

In that case we'd need one or both of the following to debug it:

• Scan Engine Debug Logs showing the scan freezing.
  • A memory dump of a2service.exe and/or a2start.exe at the point the scan has frozen (or a full system memory dump if the system is frozen).

On 1/24/2018 at 5:32 PM, Ken1943 said:

Does the program do a startup scan ...

No, there are no automatic scans unless you configure them yourself.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:32 PM, Ken1943 said:

... is it because of a scheduled scan that was missed ?

If you have the option to run missed scans on the next startup selected, then yes.