xeon

Pale Moon a system process?

16 hours ago, xeon said:

Being a browser I would think everything that can be monitored.

It is not a system process.

It's digitally signed right? If so, then everything will be automatically allowed.

Keep in mind that EAM doesn't monitor malicious scripts running in the browser, and can't tell the difference between normal browser activity and malicious browser activity (<- this statement is slightly misleading, as browsers themselves are not malicious, and is not intended to suggest that browsers actually act maliciously). The Behavior Blocker protects your computer by monitoring unknown processes for potentially malicious behavior, and not by scrutinizing browsers. Trying to block behavior of a browser will simply results in problems during normal usage.

23 hours ago, GT500 said:

(<- this statement is slightly misleading,

Thanks for the explanation.

I would think this is a minor bug;

"This is a system process and therefore monitoring is not supported."

Thanks GT500, you explained a lot.

We'll look in to why it's showing as a System process. It's more than likely, as you said, a minor bug.

23 hours ago, GT500 said:

It's digitally signed right? If so, then everything will be automatically allowed.

Keep in mind that EAM doesn't monitor malicious scripts running in the browser, and can't tell the difference between normal browser activity and malicious browser activity (<- this statement is slightly misleading, as browsers themselves are not malicious, and is not intended to suggest that browsers actually act maliciously). The Behavior Blocker protects your computer by monitoring unknown processes for potentially malicious behavior, and not by scrutinizing browsers. Trying to block behavior of a browser will simply results in problems during normal usage.

So why is Chrome being monitored?

czwd_btNQpqGvuQnALM6Pg.png

BQjoKHlHRni7Fj2tgk7tyg.png

8 minutes ago, xeon said:

Now that is interesting about Chrome being monitored.

Yes it is interesting, especially when Opera and Palemoon are not being monitored..

I wonder if there's a difference between rules that existed before the merged app rules/BB screen was invented, and those that get displayed from now on? 

I've lots of programs whcih say "Monitored" but also have the green tick (pity one can't sort on that column) saying they are digitally signed.  And also quite a few 'Trusted' programs which don't have a tick - does that mean things I previously defined a rule for myself?

On 2/3/2018 at 9:37 AM, Nightwalker said:

So why is Chrome being monitored?

There's a difference between "trusted" and "not monitored". The Behavior Blocker automatically allows any "trusted" processes, even though they are monitored. Excluded processes are not monitored, as they should not be monitored for one reason or another.

On 2/3/2018 at 10:58 AM, CBMman said:

I don't think it's currently digitally signed: No more code-signing options

That's unfortunate, however there's a good reason why code signing certificates are not easy to obtain. We do not want it to be easy for criminals to abuse them. They are, after all, used by software companies to establish trust and help users validate where software came from and that it has not been tampered with.