Jump to content

All in One Forensics Log-Is Inferior to Separate Logs


Yilee
 Share

Recommended Posts

I can't adjust to spending more time getting what I quickly want from the All-In-One-Forensics Log. I was doing fine until the Delayed Update Option also started using the All-In-One-Forensics Log. Now I get livid when I have to deal with it and now I can't get my spouse to interpret the  combined log so now I have to always do it. If several days pass between observations the effort it takes to get a clear picture going several days back is not acceptable especially when I was previously using a better method of individual log columns.

This is for me EAM's first big Strike One, regardless of the placating this post may get. I'm not a Millennial, I'm much older. I like explicit Tool Bars on my Browsers and Desktops, still use classic views on OS and Browsers so I don't forget what options I have as I get older. Why do you younger people never look out for your elders? This complaint can be assumed to apply to other upcoming  and past  reasons why half the population still uses Windows 7 and a Browser with a classic view. I like my 30" monitor that I am currently typing on along with my 70" TV. I don't and never will watch TV on a Smart phone or a tablet, not even on an airline flight.

If, as GT-500 mentioned that the move was not to save on coding and that it wasn't any harder one way or the other then give your users a choice to use individual log columns  or the all-in-on since it's not so hard to do since all of the coding is already in place anyway!!!!!As you previously mentioned in another post in which I previously complained about this same issue

Anyway at a glance, just looking at uptick in EAM problems since the 1st release of the all-in-one log build release it seems that things are starting to slightly get away from your control. Don't get me wrong, I still thing EAM is one of the best choices for OS malware protection  when used with other measures, but just remember; 50% of Windows users still use Windows 7 and for good reasons-too many reasons to mention  here. If you follow Microsoft and  begin to mimic their behaviour  and dumb down and simplify the UGI at the expense of those who require to clearly see and have access to tools and options you will begin to lose your advantage over other AV Solutions. Many years ago ZoneAlarm did the same thing plus they eventually just became evil and their program became a spy program that could not be neutered or managed. They could have chosen the honorable way and just died away in a respectful manner.

Going forward I will probably just stop observing the logs unless a specific problem arises, however this is not to my liking. So, if the information is already in place to produce separate log columns, why not give the customers the option????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would think most users hardly ever look at the log.  You said: "If several days pass between observations the effort it takes to get a clear picture going several days back is not acceptable"... and I find that odd; with new log you should be able to find just the entries you want, albeit spread over several days, very easily.

What sort of problem are you typically trying to see relevant log entries for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Yilee said:

I can't adjust to spending more time getting what I quickly want from the All-In-One-Forensics Log. I was doing fine until the Delayed Update Option also started using the All-In-One-Forensics Log. Now I get livid when I have to deal with it and now I can't get my spouse to interpret the  combined log so now I have to always do it. If several days pass between observations the effort it takes to get a clear picture going several days back is not acceptable especially when I was previously using a better method of individual log columns.

Is there something wrong with the filters? As far as I can tell, they seem to be working OK:

EAM_Forensics_Log_Filters.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thing is GT500, if you do what you just showed above, then when you open the logs again it is just showing updates.

It would be better if it went back to default view after closing the GUI and not just stick at the last thing you looked at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, stapp said:

Thing is GT500, if you do what you just showed above, then when you open the logs again it is just showing updates.

It would be better if it went back to default view after closing the GUI and not just stick at the last thing you looked at.

We made that change after it was requested that Forensics log filters be persistent (that they not reset when you switch from the logs view or close the UI).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GT500 said:

We made that change after it was requested that Forensics log filters be persistent (that they not reset when you switch from the logs view or close the UI).

I must have missed all those requests then :rolleyes:

I would think that anyone who uses the logs would want then at default view when opening them as you don't look for the same thing each time.

When I open them in the morning I note the Shutdown Received from last night.. Protection started for today ..and  then all the Scheduled updates during the day and other events each time I open it.

I do not believe that there was such a mass vote for persistence... it was more likely to have been a dev decision (just sayin')

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, stapp said:

I must have missed all those requests then :rolleyes:

...

I do not believe that there was such a mass vote for persistence... it was more likely to have been a dev decision (just sayin')

You'll have to pester Frank about that. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the Beta thread when the new log filtering thing came out, one of the points I raised started by saying " Another thing: good for experts, bad for rare users of the facility - settings persist. "...      See: https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/28922-beta-8311/        That means that the decision to make such settings persist was made before you produced the beta, so I don't think we're going to believe that users requested that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

That means that the decision to make such settings persist was made before you produced the beta, so I don't think we're going to believe that users requested that.

I remember that either the filters or the search field (I can't remember which) didn't persist in the early betas, and that was changed in a subsequent beta so that both persisted after closing the logs after someone asked us to make it persistent (or at least that's how I understood what I was told at the time).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me, just a pain the get to scan logs to make sure they are working on time and other information. This company looks like they have nothing better to do than "improve" how we do things or how your way is better. This is the reason why users dump products. From my working days, I never believed that the "customer is always right". Took time to work with them because they were not right.  Customers that care usually comment on bad choices or you lose a them. Security programs are always changing & the customer is always looking for something 'better' or easier to use. Superantispyware turned into a cookie finder and I can't find my Norton loopback plugs anymore & Malwarebytes is still biting some customers, which is normal considering the junk out there.

In other words, don't change a program because you think it is a better way to do something. It is UNDER THE HOOD THAT COUNTS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

For me, just a pain the get to scan logs to make sure they are working on time and other information.

The logs filter will stay on whatever you leave it on when you close the Emsisoft Anti-Malware window, so you should be able to just leave it on "Scan" and then it'll still be on "Scan" the next time you open it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...