stapp

CLOSED Core.. notifications

Just noticed that the Core...Notification is missing in my Forensics log for this morning's 5.40 am auto update. (Thank goodness the logs were set to show default or I may have missed it :) )

notification.PNG
Download Image

This is getting really strange. The GUI hours later now has the Core..Notifiication included in Forensics. I have no idea what is going on.

There have also been 2 updates within an hour of each other than needed a program restart.

restart.PNG
Download Image

Okay in case anyone is interested I have more information about this.

The first screenshot is what I saw in Forensics for today (the missing Core/Notifications entries.

The second screenshot is what Forensics then shows if I shutdown the machine and then boot again (Fast startup not enabled)

Summary..

Any Missing Core/Notification entries appear after next boot.

sched.PNG
Download Image

sched2.PNG
Download Image

A minor side-issue is I wonder what the difference in meaning is between

"The update process was successfully completed."    and    "Updates were downloaded and installed successfully."

Does the former happen if only one file (a control file?) is downloaded and it says there's nothing else that has to be fetched, let alone installed?

Hi Jeremy

>The update process was successfully completed." -> this is the forensics entry for when a notification was shown. when you have that notification disabled in Settings/notifications, there won't added be such forensics record.

So it seems that core/notification records are visible after  a2start or a2service restart. minor gui issue.

edit: i can't replciate the issue on W10. Core/Notification records are visible right after the update when i open forensics

Thanks

5 hours ago, Frank H said:

So it seems that core/notification records are visible after  a2start or a2service restart. minor gui issue.

edit: i can't replciate the issue on W10. Core/Notification records are visible right after the update when i open forensics

Thanks

I do not check right after each update (I am not glued to my machine :))

It happens randomly during the day sometimes, and all is sorted after a reboot.

The logs I attached in first post may give a clue, however I realise this is a minor gui issue, but if a user doesn't shutdown their machine for days....

> The update process was successfully completed." -> this is the forensics entry for when a notification was shown. when you have that notification disabled in
> Settings/notifications, there won't added be such forensics record

Both the messages are classed in the log as "Core       Notification"  so surely they both represent notifications?    

All my notifications are enabled, and set to display for up to 999 seconds.  I usually dismiss them by clicking the grey X at their top rh corner.

The log contains "The update process was successfully completed." log entry about one time in three or four.    So I ask again, what's the difference between the two messages?

19 hours ago, Frank H said:

I have discovered that when Core/Notification is missing in Forensic logs I can make it appear in the log by selecting Notifications in the Actions part of the drop down menu.

Perhaps that may give you a clue.

Hi Jeremy

The log contains "The update process was successfully completed." log entry about one time in three or four.    So I ask again, what's the difference between the two messages?

it seems you found a glitch too:

msgSignaturesUpdatedN=Updates were downloaded and installed successfully.
msgUpdateCompleted=The update process was successfully completed.

both strings are used and one of them is obsolete, will fix that

Both the missing 'core/notifications issue' and 'the update process was successfully completed' have appeared quite a lot today in the new build 8617

core.PNG
Download Image

msgSignaturesUpdatedN=Updates were downloaded and installed successfully.
msgUpdateCompleted=The update process was successfully completed.

FYI:
string: msgSignaturesUpdatedN

Is displayed in the notification when the  nr of signatures AFTER the update <> the  nr of signatures BEFORE the update