iWarren

Freezing and Update Issues

I am also getting the PC freezing issue.

Anti-Malware 2018.1.0.8407
Windows 7 Professional sp-1 (32-bit)
Intel i3

My PC specifications are different in some ways, so that should help
you rule out some particular architectures.

My system had been running flawlessly for several months.... until these last installations you did.

System has been freezing up as well... I checked the event viewer, and the emsisoft logs, but there
doesn't seem to be anything that stands out as being a cause for the PC freezing.

I do have a "lot" of applications now under the "monitored" status, but I would think if there was
some critical issue with one of them, it would provide me with an alert.

If it helps.... the system freezing seems to happen most frequently while I am using my browser...

I thought I had nailed it down to the fact that I had 'explorer.exe' monitored, and it seems like
the frequency of the freezing has changed.... but it is still occuring.

So far, it seems to happen more often while I am in a browser, but I have had it occur other times
as well.

I have noticed in my Emsisoft logs, "Around" the time time of the system freezes, i notice there is
an entry "Auto- Game mode enabled" ... I've never heard of this feature.... but I am quite certain,
that I don't like the sound of it.

The freezing starts out with the round cursor button saying the system is "busy". Usually i can get
1 or 2 other programs open... like taskmgr.exe at about that stage, Firefox becomes unresponsive and
and then explorer.exe refuses to open any new programs... other programs that are still in the active
state work for a short time, before 'everything' seems to bind up and stop working.

I am also using Comodo as a personal firewall.

i think i narrowed it down to the last update that is trying to be pushed.
when i tried clicking Update, it got to "Installing... 1%" and froze up again.

now that i have the debug_output turned on, it doesn't want to give up the update.

i recall my last freezing issues, also coincided with Emsisoft updates, getting to 1%

Update:  my system will still not complete the install of whatever it downloads from Emsisoft Anti-malware
and continues to freeze.  Emsisoft reports that it is 'up to date', even though it didn't finish the installs that
were in its queue.  So I can only assume I 'might' be several days late on my malware updates at this point.

I am curious whether Emsisoft AntiMalware logs a successful installation at the beginning of the install
process, or after the update install finished.

If its freezing at the point of install and I have to manually reboot, and it reports that everything is installed in
logs and all is well and up to date... that would seem to indicate that it is counting the update as successful
pre-install. 

21 hours ago, iWarren said:

Update:  my system will still not complete the install of whatever it downloads from Emsisoft Anti-malware
and continues to freeze.  Emsisoft reports that it is 'up to date', even though it didn't finish the installs that
were in its queue.  So I can only assume I 'might' be several days late on my malware updates at this point.

I am curious whether Emsisoft AntiMalware logs a successful installation at the beginning of the install
process, or after the update install finished.

If its freezing at the point of install and I have to manually reboot, and it reports that everything is installed in
logs and all is well and up to date... that would seem to indicate that it is counting the update as successful
pre-install. 

Can you start Windows in Safe Mode With Networking and open EAM? If so, are you able to switch feeds and check for updates? Or at least uninstall some of the other security software on the system and see if that helps?

Regardless, we're almost certainly going to need a memory dump from your system before we can know for certain what's causing this. Here's how to configure Windows to save a full memory dump:

1. Hold down the Windows key (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and hold down the R key to open the Run dialog.
  2. Type in control system and click OK.
  3. On the left, click on Advanced system settings.
  4. In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings button.
  5. Please ignore the System Startup and System Failure sections.
  6. In the Write debugging information section, please change the first option to Complete memory dump (it may say something like Small memory dump, Kernel memory dump, or Automatic memory dump).
  7. The Dump file field should say %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP which means that it will save the dump as MEMORY.DMP in your Windows folder (usually C:\Windows). If it does not say %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP then please change it so that it does.
  8. Make sure that Overwrite any existing file is selected.
  9. Click the OK button, and restart your computer to save the changes.

You'll also have to configure Windows to crash when you press a certain key combination. The easiest way is to download the following ZIP archive, open it, double-click on the Memory_Dump_Ctrl_Scroll_Lock file in the folder that opens, allow it to be imported into your registry, and then restart your computer (assuming it's Windows 10 the best way to restart after doing this is to right-click on the Start button, go to Shut down or sign out, and select Restart):
https://www.gt500.org/emsisoft/Force_BSOD.zip

Once you've done all of that, the next time you hold down the right Ctrl key on your keyboard and then press the Scroll Lock button (you may need to press it twice) the computer will crash, show you the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death" (aka. BSoD), and then start writing a memory dump. When it's done you can turn your computer off and back on.

Note: The method of using Ctrl + Scroll Lock to cause a BSoD that I linked to above only works with USB keyboards. If you have a laptop, then it may use a PS2 keyboard, in which case I'll need to create a new registry export for you.

If everything works as expected, you should have a memory dump in the following location:

• C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

You will need to ZIP this file to be able to send it to me. If you don't have something like 7-Zip or WinRar, then you can right-click on the file, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder to ZIP the file. Note that it will more than likely need to be saved on your Desktop when you do this.

You're almost certainly going to have to send me the memory dump via a file sharing service such as WeTransferMega, etc. Some file sharing services may require that you send the file download link via e-mail, so you can simply enter support@emsisoft.com and paste the link to this forum topic in your message when you send it.

I thought maybe my problem was that I had a critical program being monitored, so i added some
of the system files to the trusted status... and then tried the update.   It cycled through the update
really quickly, and i think the log said it only updated one file. Then said it was all up to date and
wouldn't let me do another update.

Then about half hour ago I tried it again... disabled my other firewall, and pressed Update... the logs
said it was installing something like 30 files... but when it got to the installing part, it started locking
up like it usually does.  This time i pressed the 'X' to 'cancel updates'.  and i had managed to do this
once before.... I ctrl+alt+delete to let the cpu "catch up" and it managed to pull it out of its tail-spin.

I checked event viewer, and i didn't notice anything in the time window... other than one event said
a dcom event failed to register.

since I have the emsisoft debug_log enabled, I did manage to catch the information at that given time,
but I don't really see anything useful.

also note... since these freezes started... i haven't done any factory resets, or re-installed emsisoft.

19 hours ago, iWarren said:

i sent them to GT500
because they contained license information and personal information.

Logs received, and sent to QA. ;)

Since I suspect this is a different issue than the one reported here, I have split the topics so that things don't get all jumbled together. ;)

Well, I didn't quite feel like mucking about and creating BSOD's, so I just reset all my settings to factory default.

It appears to update correctly now, so I am thinking, either my application rules were corrupted... or,
my applications rules were not compatible with the previous update... or, more likely.... there is a program
that may have been monitored and possibly interrupting the normal system operation at the time of update.

It still seems like there is a bit of a "delay" in between when it says "Installing ..." and when I can open up new
programs to run... but at very least its only for a few seconds and continues working again.

I'm glad to hear that restoring factory defaults helped. It's possible that it was just an issue in the settings file, and resetting everything cleared it. ;)