Minimalist

Install problem

Where in the world are you?     (The CDNs have different servers in different countries.)     This being Saturday, you might not hear from an Emsisift staff-member until Monday.

I'm from Europe.

No problems, I tried downloading it few more times and now it seems that I will get installer in about half an hour. I just hope file won't get corrupted during download. Too bad that they don't post hash checksums for their packages...

Yes, thanks stapp. I downloaded full installer (it was downloading for almost an hour) and using full installer, I could install with no problems.

EDIT: I tried to download it again today and speed returned to normal. So it seems that it was temporary problem only.

image.png.52cc0db45b565b6a8b697bee5d82659f.png
Download Image

Edited by Minimalist

Highwinds hasn't published any information on their RSS feed about problems, so it's difficult to say what may have been happening. Possibly just a problem with an Internet backbone between you and the server that the download was coming from.

Today I tried to download whole installer again and speeds were slow again:

image.png.9a3a2aa0fbc3cde48c7e9fcd3a149975.png
Download Image

Then just for fun, I tried to download through VPN and I got normal speed:

image.png.092fe5d8df9b30d1096d6b60b53cf02b.png
Download Image

Tried on and off few more times and results were always the same. If I try to download from my own IP (from Slovenia) I get slow download. IF OTOH I try to download through VPN from some other country (Austria or Switzerland) I get normal speed.

To me it seems that CDN provider is throttling connection speed to my IP or IPs from my country.

8 hours ago, Minimalist said:

To me it seems that CDN provider is throttling connection speed to my IP or IPs from my country.

There's probably either a local issue with a backbone provider, or an issue with their server in your area. Our CDN provider isn't reporting any issues right now, so it's more than likely an issue with a local backbone provider.

You can get an idea of what's going on by using a tool such as WinMTR. Simply enter the CDN address (dl.emsisoft.com) into the field in WinMTR and click the Start button. It will trace the route to the server, and then it will start pinging each hop (routers and servers you're connected through at your ISP and the backbone providers) along the route. It will give you statistics of how many pings it sent, how many replies it received, how many packets were dropped, and the times in milliseconds to receive the replies.

3 hours ago, McFarlandIT said:

I'm using the same server. no issues with downloading it.  downloaded it full speed. sounds like an issue with your ISP or network.

Aren't you in North America? If so, then you'd be downloading from one of the Highwinds servers in North American, whereas he is downloading from Europe which has different servers.

The IP's are the same for all of the servers, even though they are scattered throughout the world. CDN's work this way to ensure quality of service. A traceroute can be used to help determine where the CDN server you're connecting to is located.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:16 AM, GT500 said:

There's probably either a local issue with a backbone provider, or an issue with their server in your area. Our CDN provider isn't reporting any issues right now, so it's more than likely an issue with a local backbone provider.

You can get an idea of what's going on by using a tool such as WinMTR. Simply enter the CDN address (dl.emsisoft.com) into the field in WinMTR and click the Start button. It will trace the route to the server, and then it will start pinging each hop (routers and servers you're connected through at your ISP and the backbone providers) along the route. It will give you statistics of how many pings it sent, how many replies it received, how many packets were dropped, and the times in milliseconds to receive the replies.

Thnx for suggestion. Will try it next time I have to download installer.

On 3/12/2018 at 3:41 PM, McFarlandIT said:

the "CDN" thing threw me off. thought he meant Canada lol.

I imagine you already figured out what it means, but for anyone else who might not know "CDN" is an acronym that stands for "Content Delivery Network". It's a service that provides servers and bandwidth to handle downloads at a higher quality than most companies can offer on their own (at least for an affordable price). CDN's handle downloads for just about every major company these days (even Windows Updates are downloaded from a CDN).

Just to be clear, at no point do we ever send any customer data to our CDN provider. They handle downloads, and nothing more.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:25 AM, Minimalist said:

Thnx for suggestion. Will try it next time I have to download installer.

You're welcome. ;)

• Thanks 1