Can't Run Programs After Installing

Todg

On 3/28/2016 at 7:50 PM, Rachel said:

I recently installed emsisoft anti malware program and I ran my first scan..some no risk files were quarantined and since then I cannot open any program on my computer.please help!...I tried restoring these files but they are not restoring.it keeps telling me it cannot restore to original location..when I try to restore it somewhere else ,it does not work

I have the same problem after installation and first scan / quarantine - programs .exe do not open, nor start, command, browser etc but lo and behold emsisoft fires away ..... ?

Do you have anti-virus software from Avast, AVG, Kaspersky, ESET, etc. installed? If so, then please note that software from these vendors are not compatible with Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and your computer will usually freeze/hang when they are installed alongside Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I recommend following the instructions at this link to start your computer in Safe Mode With Networking so that you can uninstalling the incompatible software.

If you use Windows 10, then the instructions at that link may not work, but you should be able to click on the Start button and then click on the power button in the lower-left to open the shutdown/restart options. If you hold down the Shift key on your keyboard while you click on the option to restart, then your computer should restart in Recovery Mode, and you can get into Safe Mode from there.

When your computer starts in Recovery Mode, it will show you a blue screen that says Choose an option in white at the top, and has the following options:

• Continue
  • Use a device
  • Troubleshoot
  • Turn off your PC

If you click on Troubleshoot, then click on Advanced options, and then click on Startup Settings then there will be a button in the lower-right to restart your computer to get advanced startup settings (such as Safe Mode).

After your computer restarts you should see another blue screen that says Startup Settings at the top. Simply type the number 4 on your keyboard to load into Safe Mode, or type the number 5 for Safe Mode With Networking (if you need Internet access in Safe Mode), and Windows will start in Safe Mode.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you able to do anything on the PC at all?

Another way to get offered the troubleshooting options is to force close the PC using the power button 3 times in a row.

So try holding in the power button until PC shuts down and then start it straight up again. As soon as it starts up (don't wait until you get to desktop) hold the power button in again 'til it goes off.

Do this 3 times in a row and you should get offered the troubleshooting options and you choose 'advanced options'

Don't give up!!

Are you able to get into settings at all?

Are you holding down the shift key and just tapping restart once and then letting go of the shift key and letting the PC restart?

The interrupting boot 3 times in a row to get the windows repair option which then gives you the advanced options, troubleshooting start up options (safe mode)

is not as scary as it sounds. :) 

See options 2..3..and 6 here (it has pictures !!)

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

1 minute ago, deerstalker said:

Success at last. Thanks!

There is a warning .... but as with many other installations we ignore it. Our fault I know .... but they should change the wording to emphasize "not removing other anti-virus software will DEFINITELY cause computer to freeze or lock - please ensure you remove before installing Emsisoft"

I am simply trying to save further posts from disgruntled potential paying customers ..... if the software causes this to happen, are you happy to let it loose in your pc?! Moral high ground is great but human fickleness may trump it!

1 hour ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If you admit to ignoring a warning, it seems a bit pointless to say as you did earlier:  "Emsisoft should have posted a more obvious warning before installation." - you'd probably have ignored that too.     

Jeremy you are replying to Todg who did not say that.

5 minutes ago, deerstalker said:

All fixed. I booted in Safe Mode using the method described by you and Microsoft - zapping the power button three times. Many thanks for your help in getting out of a very frustrating situation. I was about ready to shoot the computer 

That is a good result.

Well done at fixing it yourself :)

We are always here to help... you only have to ask.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:04 AM, Todg said:

... they should change the wording to emphasize "not removing other anti-virus software will DEFINITELY cause computer to freeze or lock - please ensure you remove before installing Emsisoft"

Not all anti-virus software causes this sort of compatibility issue. I know one of the warnings that are shown does recommend removal for known incompatible anti-virus software, however I would believe that the one seen during the installation process is just a simple check with WMI that asks what anti-virus software is currently registered, and if anything other than Windows Defender is returned then the warning is shown in the installer.

On 3/10/2018 at 12:51 PM, deerstalker said:

All fixed. I booted in Safe Mode using the method described by you and Microsoft - zapping the power button three times. Many thanks for your help in getting out of a very frustrating situation. I was about ready to shoot the computer 

I'm glad to hear that the issue is resolved. If you have any further trouble, then please be sure to let us know. ;)