Sign in to follow this  
OnlineAmor

Does it add much to use Mamutu with Online Armor free?

On my 7 x64bit system, I am using Online Armor Free, Sandboxie, and 2 on-demand daily AV scans as my main security programs, along with safe browsing and a system image. I want to be alerted if changes to the computer are attempted. Would it add much to my security to run Mamutu (a behavior blocker) with Online Armor free (a firewall/HIPS)?

On my 7 x64bit system, I am using Online Armor Free, Sandboxie, and 2 on-demand daily AV scans as my main security programs, along with safe browsing and a system image. I want to be alerted if changes to the computer are attempted. Would it add much to my security to run Mamutu (a behavior blocker) with Online Armor free (a firewall/HIPS)?

Hi OnlineAmor, welcome to the forum

(interesting nickname as a matter of fact ;) )

Yes, it will add a lot in case you are using free OA and just on-demand scanners

Basically it must not conflict with HIPS, just create certain exclusion rules

At the same time it's worth mentioning that HIPS (any) can be even disabled

HIPS is good when you do not have BB, but it has its disadvantages

– it is very “talkative”, because it will alert you about any single step of any unknown Application

Not every user can comprehend that and can make a mistake with the decision

When BB as good as Mamutu is in place – there are considerably less Alerts even in "Paranoid Mode"

Sure, you (rather any user) still must have some experience in order to make final decisions, but that cannot be compared to any pure HIPS

My regards

*** whole quote was removed {Lynx}

Hi Lynx, thanks for the reply. I was able to make OA less intrusive by using the 'learning mode' when installing software, so I have no problems with the HIPS part. Would it still be better to turn off the HIPS in OA and run Mamutu for watching the computer processes? Or if running both together isn't too intrusive for me, do I get much added protection running them together, or are they redundant?

1st, ctrlaltdelete would be the best to give you an advice here since he is experienced and using both OA & EAM/Mamutu

I hope he will reply

At the same time, in addition to what I posted

I would not call that being “redundant” despite it may be ... it depends ;)

Then, if you “have no problems with the HIPS part....” the “intrusiveness” is not a major issue

You will have many Alerts from HIPS & minimum Alerts from Mamutu

The “problems” as far as I can see it are in two areas:

- again... too many alerts from HIPS;

- the computer power (Hardware/Software configurations/ tweaks applied / and so on... in order to make particular system being not overloaded by security & spare services;

What I mean is the system's responsiveness is a major factor for many rather than intrusive alerts

I do not have any issues regarding my system being affected on XP running Defense+ (HIPS) by Comodo & Mamutu (Dual Core 2.66GHZ/ 2GB Ram DDR2 667)

I do not have any issues whatsoever on Win 7 x64 running EAM & Defense+ together (2.9GHz Q9000 quad-core / 8GB Ram DDR3 1086), but Defense+ was disabled, because the users will not ever get any sense out of any alert by Defense+

EAM even being set to “Paranoid Mode” fired just a few for a long time

So, it's you decision after testing keeping in mind all mentioned factors

My regards