Nick0708

Cannot use Mobile Antivirus

Hi, I am a new customer who wants to try Emsisoft mobile security on my HTC U11. My phone is running Android 8.0.0. I installed the Emsisoft app to test it out, but when I open it I am unable to use it at all. Please see the screen shot attached. If I try to click anywhere in the app, the app crashes. The options "just once" and "always" are not able to be selected. 

I have tried reinstalling the app several times but still the same issue. Even if I manually enable the permissions for the app in the phone settings I still can't use it as explained earlier. Screenshot_20180228-135151.thumb.png.7fb66309903846ebf6b1deb4359d28d9.png
Download Image

Dear Nick0708,

Thank you for your request.

Please excuse the circumstances.

If it should still not work for you, please could you let us know the following additional information:
  1. Is there any other security solution installed on the device?
  2. a) Please open the settings of your mobile device and choose "Security settings".
      b) Is Emsisoft Mobile Security listed and enabled as "Device Administrator“ there?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Thomas Ott said:

Dear Nick0708,

Thank you for your request.

Please excuse the circumstances.

If it should still not work for you, please could you let us know the following additional information:
  1. Is there any other security solution installed on the device?
  2. a) Please open the settings of your mobile device and choose "Security settings".
      b) Is Emsisoft Mobile Security listed and enabled as "Device Administrator“ there?

Hi Thomas Ott, thanks for your reply. I had Bitdefender installed just for scanning but as soon as I uninstalled it, the Emsisoft app worked correctly. 

Is the Emsisoft app meant to run in the background?  Because there is no notification of any background processes like there is with other apps such as VPN, password manager etc. 

Hello Nick0708,

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed that must have been the reason for the problem you've experienced. You need to know that we are working very closely with our partner BitDefender when it comes to Emsisoft Mobile Security and our app shares the same codebase, so only one of them should be used.

Emsisoft Mobile Security runs in the background and you are right, there is no indication which shows the status permanently. But you should see a message popping up for about 1-2 seconds if you update or install a new app. The message should tell you that the app is clean and disappear again shortly after (of course only if the app is clean).

Thank you for using our software solutions, should you have any further questions please just let us know.

3 hours ago, Thomas Ott said:

Hello Nick0708,

Indeed that must have been the reason for the problem you've experienced. You need to know that we are working very closely with our partner BitDefender when it comes to Emsisoft Mobile Security and our app shares the same codebase, so only one of them should be used.

Emsisoft Mobile Security runs in the background and you are right, there is no indication which shows the status permanently. But you should see a message popping up for about 1-2 seconds if you update or install a new app. The message should tell you that the app is clean and disappear again shortly after (of course only if the app is clean).

Thank you for using our software solutions, should you have any further questions please just let us know.

Thank you for your help. I am wondering if my app has a problem, because there is no update button or mention of updating in the settings. Does Emsisoft Mobile Security just automatically download updates silently? because when I use it, I can't find anything about updates.

Also, I am currently using the 30 day trial for the Mobile Security so I would like to check, is the trial version exactly the same as the version I will have if I purchase a license and activate the mobile app?

Hello Nick0708,

Emsisoft Mobile Security does not need to download signature updates as the signature database is stored in the cloud and consulted for a result after each scan.

The trial version unlocks the full version of our security app for 30 days so that users have a chance to see if Emsisoft Mobile Security can fit their needs. So the answer is yes, our app with an active trial has the same capabilities as if the full version would be unlocked with a license purchased via our website.

If we can assist any further, please just let me know. I hope you enjoy a great weekend!