Bundaburra

Multiple email sends and EAM?

Yesterday I received the same email 10 times in succession.  As it was a large email (15MB) with several attachments, it made for a large download which I did not appreciate.

The sender advised that his AV software (unspecified) was updating itself at the time of sending the email .  When he became aware of the multiple sends, he killed them by shutting down the entire PC.  

On looking into this, I found a link which says "The most common reason for many copies of the same email being sent can be traced back to your mailware or virius scanning tools attempting to scan outgoing messages. This tends to interfere with the proper operation of the mail program, such as Outlook ..."

Is this something which could happen with Emsisoft Anti-Malware?  I often send large emails to multiple recipients, and would hate to think that I could cause problems at their end.

4 hours ago, Bundaburra said:

On looking into this, I found a link which says "The most common reason for many copies of the same email being sent can be traced back to your mailware or virius scanning tools attempting to scan outgoing messages. This tends to interfere with the proper operation of the mail program, such as Outlook ..."

Is this something which could happen with Emsisoft Anti-Malware?  I often send large emails to multiple recipients, and would hate to think that I could cause problems at their end.

I have never heard of such a thing being due to Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware software.

Also, note that Emsisoft Anti-Malware doesn't scan outgoing e-mails, it only scans files as they are created/modified, so it shouldn't interfere with your e-mail client.

Interesting.  Often I receive an email where at the bottom it says something like "scanned by XXX anti-virus" or "checked to be virus free by XXXX anti-virus".  If EAM does not scan outgoing emails,how can a recipient know that they are virus free, especially if there is an attachment?

A recipient doesn't actually /know/ anything seeing such an incoming email.   The line of text could have been placed in every email that a sender sent, without any scanning having taken place.  And, even if scanning did occur, a recipient has no idea how thorough the scan was.  

When emails arrive on a system their content does not need to be scanned then; indeed on systems where that does happen the scans - if they delete part of the content of an incoming mail - can damage handling of the rest of the interfered-with email, or - depending on the mail transport mechanism - damage the mails immediately following the one that was edited.  [Having said that, vendors with such systems often only install their scan-as-mail-arrives logic on systems using specific mail clients, so if you use a less common client their code doesn't actually get installed anyway.]

EAM users are safe because usually it's only if and when they detach an attachment (which creates a copy of it on their normal file system), or try to run it that EAM will examine it... as it does for any file one tries to run.   I say 'usually' because if you set up a Custom scan you can choose that contents of email client files will be scanned.  This is optional because - again - having something suspicious detected inside such a file and then having the file (which might contain bits of many emails) quarantined can break an email client.  

Thanks for the replies.  I guess the main point is that regardless of what the email sender says, or does, or puts in a footer, the primary defence is at the receiving end.  Turns out that my multiple sender was using a free Russian AV program .... enough said? 

20 minutes ago, Bundaburra said:

... regardless of what the email sender says, or does, or puts in a footer, the primary defence is at the receiving end.

Correct. It's relatively simple to forge e-mails (spammers do it all the time), and even easier to put fake information in them. Plus there's no guarantee that the sender's anti-virus software caught a threat that was attached to an e-mail they were sending.

22 minutes ago, Bundaburra said:

Turns out that my multiple sender was using a free Russian AV program .... enough said?

We do tend to discourage the use of free anti-virus software. It usually lacks protection features that paid software has, leaving people less protected than they should be.

On 3/7/2018 at 2:35 AM, GT500 said:

I have never heard of such a thing being due to Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware software.

Also, note that Emsisoft Anti-Malware doesn't scan outgoing e-mails, it only scans files as they are created/modified, so it shouldn't interfere with your e-mail client.

This is interesting, as most links I've found addressing this question of multiple sends of attachments (the problem I'm having) say something to the effect of

"The most common reason for many copies of the same email being sent can be traced back to your mailware or virius scanning tools attempting to scan outgoing messages." 

So even if Emsisoft doesn't do this, I'm surprised you've not heard of such a thing.   

Can you confirm that my problem with Outlook (sending an email with attachments repeatedly at roughly 3 minute intervals) is nothing to do with Emsisoft?  I've had the same issue with different recipients, and it's always when the email has an attachment, seemingly when it's quite a large one.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:52 AM, JonR said:

This is interesting, as most links I've found addressing this question of multiple sends of attachments (the problem I'm having) say something to the effect of

"The most common reason for many copies of the same email being sent can be traced back to your mailware or virius scanning tools attempting to scan outgoing messages."

That doesn't make much sense to me, however it could be an Outlook related bug related to certain ways of scanning e-mail attachments (addons or intercepting SMTP communication rather than using IOfficeAntiVirus).

On 8/12/2019 at 4:52 AM, JonR said:

So even if Emsisoft doesn't do this, I'm surprised you've not heard of such a thing.   

Can you confirm that my problem with Outlook (sending an email with attachments repeatedly at roughly 3 minute intervals) is nothing to do with Emsisoft?  I've had the same issue with different recipients, and it's always when the email has an attachment, seemingly when it's quite a large one.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware now has IOfficeAntiVirus support (added after this topic was originally created and answered). Many Microsoft applications do implement this technology to allow compatible Anti-Virus software to scan files without needing to intercept disk activity, and Outlook is more than likely one of them. As for how Outlook would handle IOfficeAntiVirus, I can't say for certain, however some of our employees do use Outlook and if this were a common issue caused by our software then we'd know about it.