seppok

Hitman Pro Alert vs. Emsisoft

Hi all,

I've just uninstalled ESET, because i was lucky enough to get one year av survey license key for Emsisoft antimalware. 

Installing Emsisoft Antimalware went fine. After install, when Emsisoft started to update its databases and main protection components, HMP Alert kicks in and "prevented" Emsisoft "protection component" for running.

But HMP Alert actually cannot kill it, because Emsi still upgrading its databases and components. Rebooted and exluded all those Emsi .exe's in HMP Alert. And exluded hmpalert.exe in Emsi. 

Working good now, boot time not affected at all. And the whole computer feels "snappier" now. 

First let me sate that i am not a employee  of emsisoft  just a community member you shouldn't have more than one Antivirus installed at the time on a system EAM already has all necessary protective components  besides this any other av software may have have kernel-mode drivers installed that could cause conflict with the other installed Antivirus products, leading to system instability. Therefore, I suggest you  uninstall  of your Antivirus and leave only one installed (logically, it would be the one you are currently paying for). i would suggest dropping hitman pro alert to avoid any further conflicts  

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

3 hours ago, MJmusicguy said:

First let me sate that i am not a employee  of emsisoft  just a community member you shouldn't have more than one Antivirus installed at the time on a system EAM already has all necessary protective components  besides this any other av software may have have kernel-mode drivers installed that could cause conflict with the other installed Antivirus products, leading to system instability. Therefore, I suggest you  uninstall  of your Antivirus and leave only one installed (logically, it would be the one you are currently paying for). i would suggest dropping hitman pro alert to avoid any further conflicts  

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

Hitman Pro Alert is not an anti-virus, its more of a anti-exploit, anti- ransomware tool, it can be run safely with an anti-virus program. However, with EAM you probably don't need it. If I was seppok I would run both together for a few days to see if there are any issues. I can't remember if there are any known compatibility issues with EAM, staff will chime in.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:17 PM, seppok said:

Kernel mode drivers, in ring 0-1?

Kernel mode drivers aren't the only issue. Almost all security software with real-time protection opens some sort of hooks to other running applications, which requires them to inject code into those running applications. When you have more than one program injecting code into every other running program on your computer, it can cause unexpected things to happen, even if the two security softwares are usually compatible with each other.

Exclusions like you added at least keep the two security softwares from trying to open hooks to each other's processes, which helps prevent freezing/hanging and performance issues, however it doesn't prevent every possible issue.