Manjusri108

after update computer won't boot

Pinned posts

Edit: For those who are still having this issue, note that you can work around it by switching to the Delayed update feed so that Emsisoft Anti-Malware downgrades to an older version that does not have this issue. Here's how to do that:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Delayed from the list.
  5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Hello Libor, thank you for your feedback.

As I'd mentioned, "We're still unable to replicate the issue". Up until just a few minutes ago, we have not been able to replicate this issue at all, whatever we tried, and nobody had been able to provide usable debugging information. Those who were willing to try ended up having the problem go away prior to any information being gathered, so we were left with a problem we could not see to diagnose. Impossible as you might imagine. So no, we're far from asleep, we have just not been able to get any usable data other than "it happens", and that it's with current Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Comodo Firewall, and Windows 7 x64.

By "up until this evening", I mean that I just had a virtual machine with Windows 7 x64, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and Comodo Firewall (free) lock up well after the desktop was loaded. I'm going to try gathering information if I can, if the problem repeats itself. So, some progress possibly.

I'll post back here with workaround instructions should I find any, and update with fix status as well once that comes.

UnPinned posts

After updating to the latest version, the computer hangs on reboot.  I had to go to Safe Mode to uninstall. 

Other AV: Comodo Firewall (not AV), VodooShield free

Autoruns: Eraser, SoftPerfect RAM disk, Samsung RAPID mode, Dimension 4, Virtual Clone Drive, ID Manager, Pure VPN,
Rainlendar2, TextAloud 3, USB safely remove, KeyScrambler, Snagit and Hard disk sentinel.  
It is during the loading of the autoruns that the system hangs, and does not recover.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2018.3.0.8555
Updating to this version required a reboot, and that is when the problem started. 
I have cloned back a few times, and every time the Emsisoft update causes the computer to freeze during reboot. 
I’ve tried updating from the old (clone) Emsisoft, and also downloading the latest installer, both with same results. 

I thought it must be a bad update, but the lack of action on the forum tells me different. 
I downloaded the latest EEK, and it found no problems. 
I’m still afraid to reinstall EAM as I’ve already put hours into it.

Yes, I can boot into Safe Mode, but EAM real time protection seemed to be off there. 

Are you able to get your computer to start in Safe Mode?

BTW: We've rolled back the update that our QA team feels was responsible for this issue, so let us know if that helps.

3 hours ago, Manjusri108 said:

Arthur - I reinstalled EAM from a previous installer, entered license, updated, then rebooted, and it hung up again.
I rebooted into Safe Mode and uninstalled (again).

fyi - Each time I go through this my task bar transparency becomes re-enabled. 

I used SysInternals AutoRuns (Logon tab) to disable startup on all but a few necessary programs. 
The results were the same, the system hangs during boot.

I should add I'm on Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit and I have on my comps Comodo Firewall also. Some programs of course start too, but it's nothing special (TeamViewer, PopMan, Adobe Creative Cloud, Samsung Magician (SSD disk), Color Navigator) and almost all I've been using for some years without problems.

To be precise about my situation: on my home comp after Welcome screen started black screen without icons and that was all. After a while (5-10 minutes or so) I tried to find out where is the problem, but except mouse pointer nothing worked (CTRL-ALT-DEL, ALT-TAB, ALT-F4, OFF Switch on case...). It went to the Safe Mode without lan, but I have to revert to some restore point earlier... then windows started, but system doesn't work without problems (Comodo crashed and after a while I've found Windows Update stopped working...

On my work computer today it was almost tragedy. After restarting (as I thought it could be possible to revert back) there was precisely the same scenario - Welcome screen and then desktop without icons and that was all. But this time reverting back two or three days didn't help (last restore point was at 27.3.2018). In safe mode I uninstalled Emsisoft, manually deleted Comode (to be sure it isn't in it), but nothing. I spent four hours trying to do all I could, but nothing. It seems it has to do something with lan side of Windows (in crash reports almost all LAN components started with errors and I was able to run it in Safe Mode but not in Safe Mode with network). All in all, it f*cked my comp to such degree I prepared myself to new Windows installation. I have data back-uped, but there is a lot of trifles on my C: and so I have to copy them too and last thing I tried was to manually delete Emsisoft folders (I uninstalled it before, but then I tried maybe 5 times different restore points, so they were back). Then I tried to restart (without hope it could change anything) and - voila - Windows were back working. Now I'm in state Emsisoft is out, Comodo is not working, but other programs and Windows itself seems to be ok.

At the end I should add that I'm angry as hell. The problem almost certainly lies in Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Both computers stopped working after EAM update and restarting (at work my comp runs all the time, so I've restarted it just today morning) and this is almost unacceptable. I have to work and not try to restore comps after ruined update of some kind (and I have to add I work on comp almost 20 years so usually I know what I'm doing). If I wouldn't renewed license week ago this would be the last time Emsisoft is on my comp. During five or six years I'm been usin EAM I was satisfied with it even I have to resolve some problem two or three times with yours technicians (some Adobe programs trouble), but this time it's too much.

So would you be so kind to tell me what's wrong and when I could use paid EAM program again? Because just now there is no way I could try it again at work computer and not knowing it it's ok. Libor.

I am running a Windows 7 Pro machine and whilst I have the machine up and running (of sorts) the EAM still takes hours to Initialize (and, in fact, it doesn't stop).   It's killing my machine and it can take twenty minutes for the machine to shut down.

Ok, had to spend the night fixing 3 networks all running win7 x64 setups (all intel) with this problem with the latest version (8555) and that is just no good for business.

Here is the solution I came up with until they solve whatever caused it.

Boot into safe mode, open up emsisoft, go into settings/update, switch channel to delayed.

Now close the emsisoft app, goto c:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware (or whatever drive your using), open a2settings.ini, replace this ini group [Guard] with pasted info, this will disable the protections so it can load the desktop.

[Guard]
Revision=4
AlertRiskware=0
ExtensionsFilter=0
ScanLevel=1
SurfProtection=0
FileGuard=0
BehaviorBlocker=0

Save, Now reboot, once logged into windows, open emsisoft again, run an update, it will put you back to 2018.1.1.8439, this one works just fine., once updated, reboot then turn back on all the protections and you'll be good to go.

The problem seems to be with behavior blocker/anti randsomware and results in a2core crashing during bootup. Disabling those protections in safemode via ini edit then booting back into normal mode lets you switch back to older version without the problem. It is possible a less edited fix is nessesary, but when I was trying to find out what exploded I was trying to turn everything off to roll it back.

Hope it helps and never happens again :)

I ran some tests and the problem is a comparability issue with Comodo firewall. 
I was using Comodo firewall, not Internet Security Suite (which has AV).

I uninstalled Comodo firewall and rebooted. 
I installed the latest EAM and rebooted, and the computer booted up fine.   
I reinstalled Comodo firewall and rebooted, and the computer would not boot. 

I entered Safe Mode, but could not uninstall either EAM or Comodo firewall. 
I had clone back to an earlier time to get my computer running again. 

Please fix the compatibility issue with Comodo firewall, and alert me when it is fixed. 

4 minutes ago, Manjusri108 said:

I ran some tests and the problem is a comparability issue with Comodo firewall. 
I was using Comodo firewall, not Internet Security Suite (which has AV).

I uninstalled Comodo firewall and rebooted. 
I installed the latest EAM and rebooted, and the computer booted up fine.   
I reinstalled Comodo firewall and rebooted, and the computer would not boot. 

I entered Safe Mode, but could not uninstall either EAM or Comodo firewall. 
I had clone back to an earlier time to get my computer running again. 

Please fix the compatibility issue with Comodo firewall, and alert me when it is fixed. 

I had no problems with win 8.1x64 installs with comodo firewall and the 8555 version, it appears to be specific to windows 7 x64, but not discounting the possibility it is windows 7 x64 + comodo firewall. a2core definitely freaks out over something and causes the freeze up.

I can confirm that I can report similar issues.  I am running Win 7 x64 and have the latest Comodo firewall.

I would say that if this were an issue running alongside Comodo then this is a bit of a rum do because a lot of us were forced to find an alternative firewall in Comodo when Emisoft removed their firewall leaving us to trust Microsoft or a third party.  And as Comodo seems to be the most popular choice I am surprised that this wasn't picked up in testing.

Two different clients, both with different models of HP, both using Windows 7 x64, neither have Comodo firewall, both had the Emsisoft update installed yesterday and both today will not boot at all. Won't go into safe mode. Renaming the c:\Program Files\Emisoft Anti-Malware folder with a PE boot drive didn't help. Appears to crash and reboot during drive.sys - all attempts to solve have failed.

What is the fix for this? Two businesses are short a computer and can't do any work at all as their computers have been disabled by this update!

Hello folks,

First of all, endevite's method should work, even if it does a few things that aren't quite necessary. Good job figuring that out!

Comodo isn't involved to the best of my knowledge. The issue had to do with computers that ran files stored on network shares at boot time. We've rolled back only the component of Emsisoft Anti-Malware responsible for the issue, so anyone able to update to the latest stable version should not have the problem again. We're also instituting extra testing that will keep this issue from happening in the future.

A basic method to fix machines still having a problem, other than the one endevite mentioned, is this:

1. Boot into safe mode.
  2. Using msconfig, disable Emsisoft Protection Service in the Services tab, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware in the Startup tab.
  3. Reboot the computer into normal mode.
  4. Run services.msc, and re-enable Emsisoft Protection Service by opening its properties and changing it to Automatic startup.
  5. Run Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the start menu.
  6. Click Update now on the Overview to update.
  7. Once updating is complete, run msconfig again to re-enable Emsisoft Protection Service and Emsisoft Anti-Malware (or just click normal boot if you haven't used msconfig to disable anything else).
  8. Restart the computer again - all should work fine. No need for delayed version unless you wish to use it.

An alternative method is to use system restore from Windows Repair or any other mode you can get into, and once completed, update Emsisoft Anti-Malware before any other reboots are performed. Some did try this but had the problem again, because we hadn't updated with the culprit component rolled back by that time.

For those computers that cannot get into safe mode or cannot use system restore, please contact [email protected] and we'll help with other methods.

If after confirming the computer has Emsisoft Anti-Malware version 2018.3.0.8555 or newer installed there is still trouble with Comodo Firewall, please let me know, but it should be cleared up. The version number can be checked by opening Emsisoft Anti-Malware and clicking EMSISOFT in the upper left corner.

Thank you for your patience, and I apologize for the hassle this has caused.

It's like being in a bad relationship, which is to say THE PROBLEM IS NOT YET FIXED. 

After many hours I had the computer running smoothly, EAM & Windows firewall,
so I updated EAM and re-installed Comodo firewall. 

Well it didn't work and it has taken me almost an hour to my computer back up.
In Safe Mode, I tried msconfig, uninstalling & System Restore, but without any luck. 

I wish you guys would stop guessing, and actually test your solutions.

4 minutes ago, Manjusri108 said:

It's like being in a bad relationship, which is to say THE PROBLEM IS NOT YET FIXED. 

After many hours I had the computer running smoothly, EAM & Windows firewall,
so I updated EAM and re-installed Comodo firewall. 

Well it didn't work and it has taken me almost an hour to my computer back up.
In Safe Mode, I tried msconfig, uninstalling & System Restore, but without any luck. 

I wish you guys would stop guessing, and actually test your solutions.

Win7 x64 + comodo firewall is indeed working with the delayed release version of EAM, which is what I tested (and why I suggested it in my temporary workaround) and am running on 3 different customer networks at the moment.

Alright Manjusri108, thanks for confirming the issue still exists with Comodo, and is an issue in addition to the one I mentioned. The other issue however was very real, was fixed, and tested. All I needed was confirmation your issue still existed, so is obviously a different one.

I'll see what I can find out and get back to you. I should be able to test the current stable with it later today, and if I can replicate the issue, gather debug logs. In the meantime, feel free to switch to the delayed feed as endevite has suggested.

If you'd like, there is a fresh beta version out right now  that you can try and see if it has an affect on Comodo Firewall.

Manjusri108, (this applies to anyone having this problem, really)

I have not of yet been able to reproduce the boot problem. When you installed Comodo Firewall, do you recall which of the additional features you enabled? Among those offered (I deselected all of them) were:

• Yahoo homepage, new tab, search engine default settings.
  • Comodo Secure DNS
  • Cloud based behavior analysis
  • Anonymous crash reporting
  • Comodo Dragon (it installed anyway)
  • Comodo Internet Security Essentials (was not offered, but installed as part of it anyway)

Hopefully I can better match your installation, but failing that, I'll try to get a usable method to gather information from your computer about the hang. I'm not so sure debug logs will be of much use here, but it would be a start. To enable:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, click the support link, and change the debug logging pulldown to one day.
  2. Close the program, restart the computer (resulting in the hang of course), and wait a good while, perhaps 15 minutes.
  3. Reboot into safe mode as you have been doing, remove Comodo Firewall, and restart again.
  4. On normal boot, open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, click the support link, and disable debug logging via the pulldown.
  5. Click the Send an email button, fill out the email form, and select all logs with the current day's date from the column on the right, then click send.
  6. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware when finished if desired.

Something else to try would be to exclude the Comodo Firewall program from monitoring:

1. Reinstall Comodo Firewall. Don't restart after install.
  2. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, click "Settings" in the top row then "Exclusions" in the second row.
  3. Click 'add folder' in the exclude from monitoring section, navigate to the "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\" folder, if you've installed in the same location it did for me, and click OK.
  4. Reboot to test.

It may turn out that another of Comodo's files is conflicting, perhaps in the Windows folder structure. It's also possible a monitoring exclusion won't work, but I wanted to give you a direction at least since I haven't been able to replicate yet.

Once I've received logs, I'll be replying via email in our ticket system to keep each person with their own logs and to advance each ticket until we find a fix; please do not post logs in this forum thread. When a fix is found, I'll post here.

David

Comodo - I had only the firewall & cloud based behavior, everything else was turned off. 

The last two attempts of mine, I could only recover by reverting to a clone, so no chance of logs.

I think I'm going to stick with Windows firewall until I know the coast is clear,
and after reading Sarah's article, I may just stick with the Windows firewall. 

Signing off, Glenn

The installs I manage do not use anything but bare comodo firewall with only firewall and hips enabled (cloud check function disabled, auto containment disabled,web filtering disabled, virusscope disabled ), trick I use to slim it down is to use the full installer found on the windows 10 comodo page, the downloader installer however from what I recall, likes to install random junk, full installer you can deselect everything short of the notice to have geekbuddy deal with a problem (which can be fixed via a registry switch post install). (here is the full installer, runs from 7 to 10 http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cispremium_only_installer.exe )  Since day 1 EAM has been on comodo's let it do everything list in both firewall and hips and worked great right before 8555 release was pushed. Tested the config with windows 8.1x64 and EAM and Comodo Firewall and it seems to lack the fault that shows face in win7x64.

On 8555 if behavior blocker/anti randsomware are disabled, the machine boots fine with comodo active if that helps, and the crash point in my logs was a2core.

I will say that if the update in 8555 added any kind of invasive process checking, comodo hips is very self protective, this can even be seen with process explorer being disallowed from scanning even with exceptions added.

Pulled these from frst since I can access one of the systems I fixed last night now from the addition log:

Error: (04/02/2018 03:57:24 PM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: a2service.exe, version: 2018.3.0.8555, time stamp: 0x5abfc268
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.19110, time stamp: 0x568429dd
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x000000000000b16d
Faulting process id: 0x640
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3cad5d6a79926
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 34779989-36c9-11e8-80b0-001a7dda7113

Error: (04/02/2018 11:58:45 AM) (Source: Application Error) (EventID: 1000) (User: )
Description: Faulting application name: a2service.exe, version: 2018.3.0.8555, time stamp: 0x5abfc268
Faulting module name: a2core.dll, version: 2018.3.0.1024, time stamp: 0x5ab90e4c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000009b44f
Faulting process id: 0x1bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3cab48767f02a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2core.dll
Report Id: de065b25-36a7-11e8-ae0a-001a7dda7113

This was during my attempts to get it into desktop post login, sometimes I could nearly get in then would get endless spinner, other times it wouldn't even get as far as trying to get to the desktop with an endless spinner.

there was also this

Date: 2018-04-02 11:56:50.109
Description:
Code Integrity is unable to verify the image integrity of the file \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2hooks64.dll because the set of per-page image hashes could not be found on the system.

This particular system is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz with 8gb of ram.

Manjusri108/Glenn: OK, that sounds good. I was hoping a safe mode boot was possible for gathering the logs. I'm still trying to replicate, but no luck so far. I'll try with the cloud based behavior analysis enabled next time, thanks. I personally also use Windows Firewall along with Emsisoft Anti-Malware, for what it's worth.

endevite: Thank you for your feedback. The code integrity issue is 'normal' and has to do with a file not being recognised as a valid one due to the loaded file being monitored. However, those are application crashes listed. Would you email me at [email protected] please? I'd like to provide you with application crash memory dump gathering information so we can look at them and hopefully find the issue. While not dangerous, I'd just as soon not post them here and end up with an unexpected flurry of memory dumps. If anyone else would like to help, please email [email protected] and reference this forum thread.

We're still unable to replicate the issue, causing a no-boot problem where Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Comodo Firewall are active on the same computer, and attempts to recreate it by customers who reported it happening and who have replied have not met with any success either using the current stable or current beta versions. It seems the issue may have been related solely to the update that caused trouble on the 2nd of April, that is no longer available as of that same evening, Eastern USA time.

If anyone can still replicate a boot issue with Comodo and Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and you're using our current beta version, please let me know right away, preferably via [email protected] If you can replicate the issue and are using our current stable version, please consider trying our beta and seeing if it continues.

To switch to beta:

1. Open your Emsisoft product.
  2. Click Settings in the top row, Updates in the second row.
  3. Change the drop-down menu from Stable update feed to Beta update feed.
  4. Press the Update now button.
  5. Reboot the computer when it's finished updating. If it has you reboot during the update, consider that your reboot; you don't have to do it again.

For most people, please switch back to the stable version within a week, even if the beta works. Beta releases are just that, beta, and may be unstable in some cases. You may learn more about when releases come out, here: https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/category/emsisoft-news/product-updates/

Hello,

as it seems this topis is dead, I want to add my 5 cents to it, as nothing is resolved until now. Last Sunday (at home) and Monday (at work) I found both my computers after restart (EAM update) didn't start - they both stucked on empty desktop and the only workaround was reset and from Windows start menu to choose restore to earlier point. As EAM apparently before instaling major update didn't make restore point I had a little trouble reverting at home and big trouble with the same at work. I lost more than half day with it there. Well, ok, maybe it's my problem.

I uninstalled EAM from three comps immediately a installed Microsoft Security Essentials temporarily until it will be resolved by Emsisoft. After one week I've read on this forum it is (maybe) ok, so I've tried today install EAM back. On one of my work computers I have only Window Firewall installed so I start there (it's computer only for tests of hardare/software and not for another work). After I've installed EAM and updates I've restarted it and computers then started ok. So far so good. At work I have to work (strangely) so I weren't so brave to install it on second work computer too (I use Comodo Firewall on this comp and as I've found on this blog Comodo computers were usually troubled with this EAM upgrade error). After I came home I've told to myself I try it there (on my home comp there is Comodo Firewall too). I made restore point, unistalled Security Essentials and installed EAM and database updates. Computer worked, but only until restart. After that it went to empty desktop again and stucked there.

Fortunately I made restore point, so after reset I immediately went to Windows start menu and restore comp to this point. It started then like a charm again (with MS Security Essentials back in game). This time it took me only ten minutes as I expected it and I knew what to do. But I have to ask: are you at Emsisoft doing something or are you sleeping or what? You know EAM (probably with Comodo Firewall installed) makes trouble on some computers (maybe only Window 7? I don't know), but after 7 days you did nothing to repair it? Of course I know it not such easy to find out what is going on (lot of systems, computer hardware, programs etc.), but it's your job, isnt't it? You don't expect your customers will do your job instead of yourself?

I renewed my EAM license at 28th March - two weeks ago. When will I be able to use it again? Will it be this week, next month or maybe never? Because you know I want to keep Comodo Firewall on my comps (I use it longer than EAM) so uninstall it isn't the right workaround for me. I think this situation is very frustrating and unacceptable I want to know what are you doing to get EAM back to working state.

And for your info: on both my comps there are Windows 7 Pro, all windows updates installed, Comodo Firewall 10 (Firewall ON, Auto Containment ON, HIPS Safe mode, VirusScope ON, Page Filtering ON), then I have nothing special there (standard programs as on every other comp). I read somewhere here on this page this problem could arise on comps loading something from LAN. I don't think it's my case (and don't think it's true anyway). I'm on LAN at work but there isn't any program started from another LAN comp and the same situation is at home (there is only one LAN disk where aren't any programs running at all).

Waiting for your response. Thanks. Libor Zezula ..*email address removed to prevent spamming

I've made some headway here. Despite exclusions and adjustments to Emsisoft Anti-Malware, nothing I did rectified the issue.

However, when I added an exclusion to keep Comodo Firewall from touching one of our programs, the problem went away. I reset the computer, booted into safe mode, started Comodo Firewall, opened it, clicked Settings, Advanced Protection, Scan Exclusions. I then clicked the Excluded Applications tab and added our Emsisoft Anti-Malware service executable, and restarted the computer to test. The problem (for me) was gone.

If others would test this, I'd appreciate it. Please let me know how it goes.

ComodoExclusion.png
Download Image

Ok, thanks. I try exclude a2service in Comodo Firewall when I'll be at home (probably at evening) and let you know.

Thanks. Libor.

You're welcome, Libor. I just hope it works for everyone, otherwise it's back to the drawing board with replication and work-around or debugging. I'd just as soon put this particular issue to rest as soon as possible. I imagine everyone else thinks so too!

Well, I was rather curious so during a lunch time I went home and tried Comodo excusion havredave suggest above. Unfortunately it didn't help. To be sure I excluded not only a2service.exe but the whole Emsisoft folder too (in "Excluded paths" setting), but nothing helped. For me the situation is the same: I have SSD disk which is quick and if it isn't ok I see it immediately because comp stays too long on the Welcome screen. Then it goes to empty desktop and stop.

So this unfortunately didn't help on my comp (above I forgot to mention I have Win 7 64 bit on both computers).

Libor, did you exclude using the "Excluded applications" tab? The excluded paths one did not work for me, either.

I'll see if I can replicate again with the exclusion I have, but it was "just working" after I did that on mine. Windows 7 x64 also, with SP1. Also with SSD, so I did what I needed to do in safe mode, not normal mode. From there it worked. Mind you that you probably have to reboot after creating the exclusion - I didn't have to since I worked in safe mode and our service wasn't running, but usually, whitelisting doesn't affect currently running processes. The process would need to be restarted. If you did not either set up the exclusion from safe mode as I'd mentioned, and did not reboot with the exclusion in place, please do so and let me know if that makes a difference. It sounds like you did restart, but I want to make sure it's clear for everyone.

Dave, I did exactly what you suggested. And to be sure I've just repeated it once more without success (again). I installed EAM, restarted, computer freezed on empty destop, restart, safe mode, started Comodo in safe mode, setting, EXCLUDE APPLICATION - Emsisoft folder (to be sure I excluded the whole bunch of exe files there), restart comp, tried to start in normal mode, freeze on empty desktop...

This exclusion in Comodo didn't help on my comp. I had to restart and use restore point made before this action. Then - without EAM - it works again. I could try to uninstall Comodo to be sure it's really in it, but this  I'll try tomorrow. Now it's too late for me...

Libor.

Libor,

I was able to, once, get the system to hang after boot even with the exclusions. It is irregular though. Irregular enough that it did not happen over several restarts prior to suggesting the whitelisting.

Please avoid using system restore in this situation. It is enough to boot into safe mode or safe mode with networking (Using the F8 key before the Windows splash screen appears during the boot process) and modify things from there to test. If you choose safe mode with networking, please don't use it for any generic surfing, as the computer will not be properly protected in that state. Consider it "emergency use".

I've just tried something else, and it seems if I disable Comodo's VirusScope 'permanently', and remove all of the exclusions for Emsisoft files/folders, things still work (for me). Please boot into safe mode, open Comodo Firewall, then click on VirusScope's "Enabled" link. Change it to "Disabled", and when the popup appears, choose "Permanently".

I'd very much like to know if that works for you. So far, for me, this also works. No glitches yet, but I need your feedback also. If it does work, and especially if it works for several people, that's information we (or Comodo) might be able to use for a better solution.

Dave, I'll give it try at evening. But I have to say I do system restore to be able to work on my comp. Any other solution keep me from start Windows in normal functional mode (I couldn't uninstall both Comodo Firewall and EAM from Safe mode and there is no other way to start my Windows in normal mode). And I have to add I couldn't start my comp in Safe mode with networking (after F8 during boot) - it ends exactly in the same state as starting it in normal mode - it stucks on empty desktop - IMO the whole problem has to do something with LAN or networking. The only possibility to start Windows with EAM and Comodo together is Safe mode.

Of course during testing I don't do system restore and I try the things from Safe mode. But after testing I need working computer even at home (strange, isn't it? :-)  ) so I do system restore to the state where EAM isn't there (using MS Security Essential instead of EAM).

I'll try to disable VirusScope permanenty but I think I've tried it yesterday at night without success too. But I'll let you know anyway.

Thanks. Libor.

Libor (and others),

The toggling of Comodo's av might not do the trick completely. It did work for me across several reboots, but during one of my virtual machine boots today, it hung. After loading into safe mode and re-confirming that its av was off, I rebooted into normal mode and things appear to be working just fine. I'll keep on it, and update if I learn more.

Dave, I tried all I could. Here's what I've found:

1) on my computer there is no way to start Windows in normal mode with EAM and Comodo Firewall installed. I tried all your suggestions without success (exclusions, set Virusscope off permanently, sel the whole Comodo off - HIPS, Auto Containment, Page filter, Firewall itself) - no change - after restart it stucked on empty desktop

2) I tried restart three or four time to find if this isn't random behaviour - and no, it isn't

3) from Windows start menu (F8 at boot) I could load Safe mode only - not the Safe mode with networking (same stuck on empty desktop)

3) After uninstalling Comodo Firewal Windows starts with EAM successfully - so the problem lies in EAM-Comodo Firewall coexisting together

In fact I haven't so much time to test further - it's really time consuming and sometimes I've got my work to do. IMHO this should be work for your programmers, because until the last week of March 2018 these two programs (EAM, Comodo) worked together fine (as I've said before I use Comodo more than five years and EAM the same period). After some "great fantastic" improvement of EAM started this mess. I expect your programmers should know what they did and try to find out where the problem could be. I don't expect your programmers write the whole program new from scratch, so there must be some new component responsible for this.

More to it: two my computers both with EAM and Comodo stop working immediately after last March update (or was it in April? I don't know exactly). I expect this should be easily replicable. On my comps there isn't a lot of specific programs running (Adobe CC, AMD Radeon Raptr, WD SSD dashboard, Tune up utilities, Skype, SpeedFan, Daemon Tools Lite, Adobe Acrobat, Popman and that's probably almost all) and both computers react exactly the same way. I'm rather curious this behaviour isn't replicable on yours computers...

With regards Libor.

Libor,

The issue IS replicable on my virtual machine, after days of not being able to replicate it. I'd mentioned that several posts ago. Then I find a workaround, seems to work, but doesn't work for you. Then, I find that even though after several stop/start/restarts it worked fine, the next day it fails and locks on startup again.

It is indeed work for us at Emsisoft to do, but we do need testing to see if we have a fix for you or not. Each time I posted, I had done something that effectively fixed the issue on my virtual machine, which is configured similarly to your computer, even with SSD. So, I was interested in seeing if the fix worked for you as well.

I'm glad you took extra steps to disable all of Comodo and note that it still happened. For whatever reason, it happens much more frequently and certainly on your computer than it does mine, so testing was, while tedious I'm sure, much faster than doing it here.

So, it's back to the drawing board for me. No, our developers do not simply know what the conflict is. Programs of this nature are far, far more complex than that, and most of the time, the cause isn't so obvious. That's why this testing is important, so I can narrow down exactly which modules, features, or settings cause the problem to go away, so they know where in code to start looking. Standard troubleshooting and debugging steps, really.

I'll avoid posting more things that seem to work unless they work for several days in a row. Have a great week!

Hi, I have the (very similar) problem, too. Win 7 Pro 64bit, Comodo (only the firewall), EAM. Turned off computer Monday, April 2 afternoon with everything appearing to work fine. Turned computer back on Saturday April 7. It wouldn't boot all the way. It got to the "choose which user to boot into" prompt. After choosing the user it hangs. I let it hang once for 30 minutes before giving up and doing hard reboot. Then it lets me choose Safe Mode. Safe mode with networking DOES load for me.

Ultimately, after messing with the dang thing for literally half a day trying everything, and not suspecting it was an EAM thing, here's what worked (sort of):

Can't remember the exact sequence, but it went something like this. In Safe Mode I unplugged the network cable to disconnect from Internet, then used system restore point to get back to Monday, April 2 MORNING (a point several hours before I had turned it off). It may have rebooted itself at this point? Then turned off all updates in EAM. Then I plugged the cable back in. It now works fine, but obviously I need to update EAM (last update: 8 days ago)! It reboots and works fine. I have been afraid to turn on auto updates in EAM 'cause I don't have much time to mess with the consequences. Actually, the problem could be fixed by now and I wouldn't know it.

Random info on my computer: Skylake processor, Samsung 850 Pro PCIe SSD, I have a somewhat complicated configuration/software. I have been mostly following the askwoody dot com Group B (security only) Windows 7 updating regimen (Thanks Woody!). Also, I did NOT yet install the latest Comodo update from a couple weeks ago. I have the version before that from a month or two ago. I usually wait a bit on updates in general because in my experience stuff like this problem happens when you install unproven updates.

My opinion: The problem is in a recent EAM update, maybe even from that Monday. Probably involves not getting along with Comodo (I miss Online Armor). EAM and Comodo have coexisted fine for at least a year, and has been a great combo that I still believe in.

I appreciate the effort you guys are putting into this. Don't give up. Stuff happens. I can answer some questions but have limited time.

I too have had the problem come back on stable, it really does seem to be some sort of timing issue between what is accessing what.

I feel funny saying this, but thanks, Door Knob!

I agree, it's the 2018.3.x update that introduced (not 'caused') a conflict. That's not to lay blame on the code or version, Comodo or Emsisoft, since security software by its nature is complex and deals with systems that can bring them into conflict. Comodo's free firewall is not just a firewall even with parts disabled, so falls into that category as well. That's part of why many (most?) experts recommend avoiding having multiple active antivirus on one machine, for example. I sure don't know exactly where the conflict is yet, but no, I'm not giving up.

It's interesting that so far, I think everyone reporting this is using an SSD instead of a platter drive. Anyone out there using non-SSD system drive who has the issue of a boot hang in normal mode?

Dave, I'll try it on my notebook - Win 7 64 bit with EAM installed but there isn't Comodo Firewall. And there isn't SSD disk too, so I'll try to install Comodo there and let you know how it looks.  Libor.

> Anyone out there using non-SSD system drive who has the issue of a boot hang in normal mode?

Not me... but I have sent Frank two full system dumps for what looks like a file explorer hang, using the last two Betas... and I have SSDs too (two in one laptop).  Although my hangs occur when EAM is asked to scan something via the explorer context menu, I see that the description above of Libor's hang ('desktop wih no icons') suggests that problem might lie in the start-up of the file explorer component.  They might be related.   (I don't use Comodo.)

Edited by JeremyNicoll
Added last sentence.

I to had the same problem with Comodo Firewall and Emsisoft. It got to the point where I couldn't even restore to an earlier date. I always loved Comodo but sometimes thought it was too intense. Once I uninstalled it the problem went away. So now I am using Zone Alarm, maybe not as good but sufficient with all the other programs I run I feel relatively safe. Sorry I love Emsisoft more than Comodo. Good luck all.

Just now I installed Comodo on my notebook with EAM. This time all's ok. After restart Windows 7 (64 bit) boot without problem. True, I have almost no other program installed on this notebook (except maybe Firefox), but nevertheless it works. But there isn't SSD disk there (contrary to my both desktop computers with system SSD where EAM and Comodo make troubles), so maybe SSD disk with these two programs together (and probably something other than that) are responsible for this.

Libor

Thank all of you for continuing feedback and information.

Libor: It would be very strange if an SSD is the thing here, especially since I've been replicating this in a virtual machine, which doesn't know that the parent device is an SSD. I won't discount the possibility however. I'm not going to ask you to do more, but if you do notice anything, I'm interested in what you find.

endevite: I rather expected that after my own experience. I still haven't found the culprit, but I'm not giving up.

neneduty: Thank you for your loyalty! Hopefully though we can figure out the Comodo conflict quickly so everyone has the choice to use it if they wish.

JeremyNicoll: I think that's unrelated actually, but thank you for sending in that information and offering help/feedback!

I've been having lots of problems over the last week with this. Numerous customers all running Windows 7 x64. All HP ProBook's or DeskPro's. Normally G1 or G2 models. Some with SSD's others not. All running Emsisoft. Really struggling to get them to start. Have seen approx. 10-15 computers in the last few days. Any clients running similar setups but not using Emsisoft are fine. I've managed to get into some and tried uninstalling Emsisoft but as soon as it is reinstalled the problems return.

None of my clients computers run Comodo!

This is costing my clients businesses lots of time and money as it is mine. It is completely unacceptable that this is not resolved. I will be looking for compensation for my clients and my business if it continues.

Dave, I didn't mean that SSD disk itself is the core of the problem. But if there could be some timing issue (as Endevite suggested), SSD disk and its speed could make the troubles worse. But if Jeremy's problem with two computers are in some relation to EAM, then this would be very bad news, because that would mean any computer could stop response anytime during usually work... Not to mention what BishBashBosh has written just now.

If I can help let me know and if it's in my possibilities I'll try. But you have to specify what to do, because just now on both my desktop computers EAM isn't installed (temporary using MS Security Essentials). I'm not such program lover as Neneduty (I'm loyal customer but it has its boundaries) and except of Adobe CC which is necessary for my everyday work, other programs only help to keep my comp in working state. But on my home computer I could  help with this in my spare time.

Regards. Libor.

@Libor - my problem is with a single computer, but in both cases with Beta versions (two different versions) of EAM.  The hang hangs 'file explorer' but when I realise it's happened and tell file explorer to do something else (eg I click on a desktop shortcut) Win 8.1 recognises that file explorer is hung and stops & restarts it, causing what's known as a 'desktop reset'.   It would not normally cause a full system dump (ie a BSOD and dump) but I have forced that twice to send the dumps to Emsisoft so they can - hopefully - find out what's caused it. 

When Emsisoft dumped their firewall, I installed  Comodo FW free on 4 Win 10 computers, One day later it was gone. Going back years, I would not install Comodo anything because it would not play nice with other programs. Maybe it has changed, but still not convinced.

BishBashBosh: Please email [email protected] right away. That is a completely different problem, and we have a fix as of yesterday. If you've already emailed, I will get to your ticket as soon as possible. You can feel free to private message me (in the forums here) with your email address and I will look for it if you already have.

Libor: I understood - it would seem much more likely to me that it is conflict related than timing related, but we'll see. Jeremy's issue is also (seemingly at least, we'll see) unrelated to the Comodo issue. I had thought context scan hangs were a thing of the past, and very short-lived, but apparently not.

JeremyNicoll: Frank is actively working with you, correct? I don't want your issue to fall between the cracks!

Ken1943: That is the basis of what I think is going on, in essence. Games often have anti-hacking protection, and sometimes think antivirus-capable monitoring software needs to be blocked, causing conflicts. I think that Comodo is not honoring whitelist entries fully and is still hanging when it touches our process, possibly due to how they or we perform monitoring. Just how to fix it, I don't know yet. Conjecture of course, based on how it's acting and past experiences.

I wasn't able to do any testing yesterday due to another problem (that BishBashBosh ran into), but should be doing more today or tomorrow. When I have usable tests to perform, I'll mention them here first!