stapp

WFC (Windows Firewall Control) and EAM

For those on Wilders who are wondering if the mysterious company that purchased Binisoft WFC happens to be Emsisoft, we already went down that road with Online Armor, and then after discontinuing it we developed and subsequently discontinued our own firewall technology. While it's impossible to predict the future, I expect that our interest in such technologies will remain minimal at least in the near future.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

... we ... subsequently discontinued our own firewall technology. While it's impossible to predict the future, I expect that our interest in such technologies will remain minimal at least in the near future.

I still think it's a pity that Emsisoft discontinued their excellent firewall technology. Would be a great addition to EAM.

On 4/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, GT500 said:

For those on Wilders who are wondering if the mysterious company that purchased Binisoft WFC happens to be Emsisoft, we already went down that road with Online Armor, and then after discontinuing it we developed and subsequently discontinued our own firewall technology. While it's impossible to predict the future, I expect that our interest in such technologies will remain minimal at least in the near future.

But WFC is not a firewall -totally unrelated to Online Armor and even EIS- and it'd make an excellent in-built companion to EAM which actually promotes the Windows Firewall. Anyway, I guess it's too late for that. ^_^

17 hours ago, CBMman said:

But WFC is not a firewall -totally unrelated to Online Armor and even EIS...

This is true, however we have to consider what has value to our customers, and since the vast majority of our customers don't even know what a firewall is (let alone how to use it) we feel that such technology simply over complicates the product without adding any real value for them, even if it is just a set of controls for the built-in Windows Firewall.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, GT500 said:

...and since the vast majority of our customers don't even know what a firewall is (let alone how to use it)

I'd give them a bit more credit than that!

7 hours ago, digmor crusher said:

Ouch. Just me but I would say Emsi's customer base is above average in regards to computer knowledge.

The ones on the forums certainly are, however most of our customer base is just average people (or companies that also don't need those kinds of advanced features).

On ٤‏/٤‏/٢٠١٨ at 7:34 AM, GT500 said:

I apologize for you but you killed Online Armor for other reasons apologized to the reservation and to know that it was the greatest wall of protection used for 9 years when your program is a free helper to establish a large but I am now and even now I encourage and support this program, but it is wrong to kill online Armor deliberately .... On the one hand, the number of users is also due to you because, after his brilliance and imposing himself on the sky of the Internet, you and others deliberately hit him ... My point of view and vision  :ph34r:

On 5/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, zezoom said:

... it was the greatest wall of protection ...

Online Armor actually had some unfortunate holes in it that prevented it from being an adequate firewall for protection. While Online Armor seemed solid on the surface, and certainly boasted lots of advanced functionality, in reality it wasn't quite up to the task of keeping modern systems secure (at least on the network protection level). On top of that, the application monitoring/control features were overly complicated, and in many cases too buggy.

Interesting how the official press release from Malwarebytes seems to have been taken offline (at least at the moment).

How fortunate for us that Google records everything that happens on the Internet, huh?
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hG-F5UbGYWIJ:https://press.malwarebytes.com/2018/05/22/malwarebytes-acquires-binisoft/