GREGORY

Bug in the Custom Scan - Last Version 8555

In Custom Scan with option "Use direct disk access" marked, the process stops more than 30 minutes in "Enumerating objects to scan", then when trying to start it stops completely in the scanning process and does not progress....

That happens on all computers, I have a license for 5 computers...

2018-04-03.thumb.png.c61593929eb0596c7d775b75cc8ef853.png
Download Image

5ac39c1886ed3_2018-04-03(3).thumb.png.f464ef2361e40a48836d076000c5bee0.png
Download Image

2018-04-03 (5).png
Download Image

The help information from the "i" tooltip for direct disk access suggests it shouldn't be used for whole-disk scans.    Do you normally use it?    I've never used it.

Hi Dear Jeremy, 

Sometimes I used it, with the previous version it scanned without problems...

So is it a mistake of mine to mark that option?

Direct disk access mode
As mentioned above, the scanner is able to search files that are hidden by active rootkits by utilizing our own NTFS file system parser instead of Windows APIs. Direct disk access mode allows the Emsisoft scanner to bypass security checks and go directly to a file location to find protected malware.

The downside of this method is how immensely time consuming it can be. Therefore it should only be used for specific folders that may contain rootkits. There is not much to gain by using this feature to scan your whole disk, which is why this option is disabled by default. Rootkit scan always uses the direct disk access mode feature, so rest assured that it’s automatically set to be utilized when necessary.

- but how can a normal user know what folder to look for?

Sorry, I don't know.    We'll need to wait for EMSI Support to comment.   If it's really a bad choice for whole-disk scans maybe the GUI should prevent it from being ticked in such circumstances.    If it's been speedy in the past and isn't now that does suggest either a problem in the newest version, or something that wasn't working properly in older versions has just been fixed and slowed things right down.

• Upvote 1

Direct Disk Access isn't very useful these days simply because there are faster and more effective ways of detecting rootkits. It's sort of an outdated feature that scan engines still have just in case, but which is almost never needed.

As for the scan freezing bug, does installing the latest beta help?

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

3 hours ago, andrey said:

I have a similar problem with a Custom Scan<_<

The scan does not end and it can not be stopped!

Only rebooting the computer ... Is there really a reason-in the option Direct Disc Access?

It's a bug. It should be fixed in the latest beta version. ;)

9 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Why are you using direct disk access?

Hi Jeremy!

Because it used to be an effective way to detect rootkits!

But .. GT500 has already explained that today it is not necessary-_-

However, all the declared options should work, right?

In any case, earlier (in the early versions of the EAM) such a bug was not.I hope that they will fix it!

On 4/7/2018 at 10:17 AM, andrey said:

However, all the declared options should work, right?

In any case, earlier (in the early versions of the EAM) such a bug was not.I hope that they will fix it!

It's fixed in the current beta version of EAM:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/30896/emsisoft-anti-malware-2018-3-1-beta/

Hopefully we'll be able to publish it as a stable build soon, but feel free to try the beta until then just to make sure everything is OK.

Hello!

Thanks to the development team-in the current version (2018.3.1.8572), all the scans work without any problems!

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear it.

BTW: If anyone switched to the Beta update feed, then note that the fix is now available in a stable update, so you can switch back to the Stable update feed if you'd like.