Siddharth

Bug in Version 2018.3.0.8555

Hello,

Sorry for starting like this but I am very frustrated that every now and then new bugs keep popping up. Emsisoft was working perfectly two days back- ZERO issues but now after the recent update, there seems to be a new bug. The scan gets stuck at exactly 66%. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Emsisoft. I even tried reinstalling Windows but to no avail. 

In the past also, same things keep happening. New bugs keep coming up. 

What is the reason that the scan is getting stuck now? (it cannot be due to a file being corrupt as I have reinstalled windows). how can this be resolved? and if this is a bug, when will this be fixed?

Thank you, 

Sid

Capture.PNG
Download Image

It's hardly unusual for any piece of software that when new facilities are added (or code is simplified or reorganised), new bugs show up.   And, probably, EAM last week wasn't bug-free either.  Most updates Emsisoft provide claim to address some bugs as well.

Is this a bug?  How long does the scan get stuck for?   What scan options have you got set?   Although in the screenshot it /looks/ as if EAM is processing a specific file, my recollection is that the "Scanning: filename" information only gets updated every so often so the named file isn't necessarily the one that EAM's working on at the time.  (You definitely don't see every filename on the computer flash past).   

If you look at previous scan reports (in   "C:\ProgramData\Emsisoft\Reports"   I should think) how much variation is there normally in the time taken for the sort of scan you're trying to do now?    Also, do you always do scans when the machine is otherwise idle? 

Edited by JeremyNicoll
added Q about idleness

I just tried a CustomScan here (of C:\ and E:) and ... the pause that used to happen at 80% (or was it 60% ??) while EAM 'enumerates files' happened this time at 66%.   Here, EAM only paused for a few seconds, because although my C:\ drive has around 580,000 files, it is an SSD so the enumeration (building a list of files to examine in the next part of the scan process) is very fast.

So @GT500   - is  66% the new magic pause percentage?

@Fabian Wosar Hello Fabian, thank you for your response as well. Issue happens in the custom scan with both NTFS alternate data streams as well as the direct disk access option. Even if the direct disk access is unchecked, it still happens if the NTFS alternate data streams is checked. 

When can this be resolved? thank you. 

3 hours ago, Siddharth said:

When can this be resolved?

Our development team is currently debugging this, so we don't have any sort of ETA at the moment.

@Siddharth - I understand perfectly that it's not working for you, and - since I've contributed to that other thread too - knew something similar had been reported.  But you said your scan stops at 66%, whereas in the other thread the reporter said the scan eventually gets past that point (and then seems to get stuck). 

You also said   "I am using the default scan options"   which has turned out not to be the case - 'Direct Disk Access' is not turned on by default as far as I know - it would be in conflict with the advice not to use it.   There's no place that I can see (in the ? - Help manual) that actually states what the default options are though.   However if you ever turned that option on, the way that the Custom Scan set-up dialogue works is that when you return to it you see the options you used last time (except that in recent months there's been a couple of times when it managed to forget settings).   So, you might have thought that having DIrect Disk Access on was a default, because each time you tried to set-up a scan, it was set on, but only because you'd turned it on previously.

@JeremyNicoll Thanks again for replying back. I am having issues with both options (direct disk access and NTFS alternate data streams). If direct disk is not an important option, perhaps it should be taken off the GUI. The scan gets stuck if both are selected at the same time or if either one is selected when scanning. 

If you install the latest beta version, does the scan still freeze?

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

36 minutes ago, GT500 said:

If you install the latest beta version, does the scan still freeze?

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

It works fine after installing the beta update.

How long till i keep the feed on beta? thank you for your help. i appreciate it. 

You need to keep the feed on Beta until that version is released as Stable.    If you change back to Stable before that, the Beta you've just installed will be replaced by the old/current Stable version and you'd then need to choose Beta again to replace it.     If you keep an eye on the Emsisoft News part of the forum it will tell when the next Stable release is released.   

21 hours ago, Siddharth said:

How long till i keep the feed on beta?

Once we release the next stable update, you can switch back to the Stable update feed. An easy way to check and see if we have released a new stable update is the monitor the following category on our blog:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/category/emsisoft-news/product-updates/

We also have an RSS feed available at the following link if you would like to receive an automatic notification when new stable versions of our products have been released:
https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/category/emsisoft-news/product-updates/feed/

You're welcome. ;)

BTW: This fix was released in a stable update, so feel free to switch back to the Stable update feed if you have not already done so.