HoggyDog

CLOSED System Slow; Windows Explorer Crashes Hourly

Hi again, Kevin, hope all is well with you. My system has become noticeably slower, and Windows Explorer (not MIE but the local system file browser) crashes with "Windows Explorer has stopped." I have run the System File Checker with "sfc /scannow" and all system files appear to be fine.

EIS reports no issues, nonetheless, something is infesting my PC and causing the problems described as well as numerous other annoying anomalies.. Logs attached. Thanks in advance for waving your magic wand over my system. Again. :lol:

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

scan_180419-205206.txt

FRSTshows that Malwarebytes is installed but not in Windows Security Center as being installed.  Uninstall Malwarebytes and let me know if that resolves the issue or not.

Thanks for your reply- I had installed MBAM as an on-demand second line of defense. My habit over the years has been to run a MBAM scan every week or so. Sadly, MBAM installed itself as a "free trial" of always-active "protection" as a means to sell me a paid subscription to that service. When the Free Trial ran out, apparently MBAM left itself active in some way without my knowledge. It has truly become, if not actually "malware," at least "nuisanceware."

I have uninstalled MBAM and, due to its renegade behavior, manually searched and destroyed any and all vestiges of its existence on my machine. I won't be able to answer your question as to how effective that has been for a couple of days since the proof of its effectiveness is a negative: Windows no longer bogs down and Windows Explorer no longer crashes every hour or so.

Meanwhile, can you recommend a truly on-demand second line of defense since MBAM is no longer suitable as such? I do NOT want a second always-on anti-malware program competing with Emsisoft Internet Security.

Thanks.

Any AV/AM you install is going to have always-on components.  There is no way getting around it, they all install services that are always running in the background.

I have not had a Windows Explorer crash since uninstalling MBAM, and overall my PC does not always seem to be too busy with ????? to do what I want it to do, so I think you can color this one solved. Thank you.

You are welcome.

Now to remove most of the tools that we have used in fixing your machine:

Download Delfix from here and save it to your desktop.

• Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
  • Also place a checkmark next to:
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore
  • Click the Run button.

When the tool is finished, a log will open in notepad. I do not need the log. You can close Notepad.

Empty the Recycle Bin

You can delete and uninstall any programs I had you download, that you do not wish to keep on the system.

To Remove EEK simple delete the EEK for in the of your System Drive, normally C:\EEK

Run Windows Update and update your Windows Operating System.

Articles to Read:
How to Protect Your Computer From Malware
How to keep you and your Windows PC happy
Web, email, chat, password and kids safety
How Did I Get Infected?

That should take care of everything.

Safe Surfing!