Marg

Appdata Roaming Nasty Critter Found By JRT

I ran an EAM malware scan first & nothin found.! I then ran a JRT scan & it found: C:\users\marg\appdata\roaming\Mozilla\firefox\profiles\f97vedb1.default. This is the second time I got this nasty critter & it stops Eam from opening & causes EAM to hang & a restart is needed. Help Please! Marg

First, what is JRT?    Do you mean the now-unsupported: https://www.malwarebytes.com/junkwareremovaltool      Maybe that's not reliable any more?

Then.. three problems:

a) you want to know whether EAM's "malware scan" looks in firefox profiles.    (I don't know.)  I'd suggest, just in casee it doesn't look there, you try a 'Custom scan' and ask EAM to look in that folder.

b) The place you mention is not a file, but a folder full of things that firefox saves for your user.  Which FILE within that was found? 

c) I don't understand what you mean by "it stops EAM from opening"?    Nothing inside a firefox folder should have any effect on EAM.   You just said that you ran an EAM scan - how did you do that if EAM wouldn't open?

4 hours ago, Marg said:

I then ran a JRT scan & it found

Most experts had stopped using Junkware Removal Tool some time ago. It is not reliable, and no longer maintained. Any useful technology from it was merged into AdwCleaner (which was probably just its database, since I would believe JRT was just a series of batch files bundled in an EXE file).

4 hours ago, Marg said:

C:\users\marg\appdata\roaming\Mozilla\firefox\profiles\f97vedb1.default

That's a Firefox profile. It's possible that it may be created by a Potentially Unwanted Program, however I'm not finding anything in a Google search, so it could just as easily be a false positive.

4 hours ago, Marg said:

... it stops Eam from opening & causes EAM to hang & a restart is needed.

Let's try getting a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. You can find instructions for downloading and running FRST at the following link:
https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/en-us/article/274-running-a-scan-with-frst