desktop emsisoft antimalware symbol is not coming on desktop

Nimesh

yes i used MSI installer for installing. so do i need to install again exe installer? so i can see emsisoft antimalware symbol on desktop. in system tray its already coming, but its not visible on desktop which generally used to come. 

You can create your own Desktop icon by right-clicking on the Desktop, going to New, and selecting Shortcut. You'll want to create a shortcut to a2start and it will usually be found in the following location:
C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware

It's also possible to copy the shortcut for Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the Start Menu and paste it on the Desktop.

Another way is to open the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder, right-click on a2start, go to Sent to, and select Desktop (create shortcut). If you do it this way you will more than likely need to rename the shortcut after it is created, as Windows will usually use the name of the file as the name of the shortcut rather than using a more "friendly" name for it.

yes i created it on desktop. but it has some problems. its not able to detect eicar sample virus file even while downloading and also scanning option not visible right click scan option not visible. after uninstallation, system is not able to start up and said that i have to restore ,so i have to restore my system. you have any better option? should i remove it ? or what should i do.

> yes i created it on desktop.

... refers only to the shortcut, to what should be an already-installed and already-running copy of EAM.      If EAM is already running you shouldn't need a desktop shortcut.    I'm puzzled.    

So... is EAM running on your machine?   Is any other anti-virus or anti-malware application running?   And, what version of Windows is this?  

> scanning option not visible right click scan option not visible

Did you have Settings - General - Windows Integration - Windows Explorer integration ticked?

21 hours ago, Nimesh said:

after uninstallation, system is not able to start up and said that i have to restore ,so i have to restore my system. you have any better option?

This particular issue should now be fixed. If it's still happening with new or fully updated installations of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, then please let me know and we can take a look at why that might be happening.

21 hours ago, Nimesh said:

its not able to detect eicar sample virus file even while downloading

It's detected fine for me:

image.png

Which version of the EICAR test file did you download? The versions in ZIP archives would need to be extracted before they would be detected.

22 hours ago, Nimesh said:

right click scan option not visible

If you open Emsisoft Anti-Malware and go to Settings at the top, there's a setting in the lower-left for "Windows Explorer integration". If that setting is on, then the option to "Scan with Emsisoft Anti-Malware" will appear in the context menu when you right-click on files in Windows Explorer (or on your Desktop).

4 minutes ago, Nimesh said:

after installing fresh emsisoft antimalware, emsisoft overview screen is not coming. hence there seems to be problem in my window 10..can you guide me?

Let's try getting a diagnostic log. The instructions and download are available at the following link:
https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/en-us/article/275-running-the-emsisoft-diagnostic-tool

That "major problem...." error message has in the past been caused by the  a2service.exe  service not running.  You might be able to start that yourself (from Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services [at least that's where it is in Windown 8.1]).     However it shouldn't need to be started manually...    You'll need to wait until GT500 looks at the diagnostic log you posted (above) to see if he can find out why the service isn't running properly.

You seem to be having a whole set of problems with this.     Are you using an uptodate installer?

11 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

What were you thinking?

I imagine he was thinking it would update to the latest version (some people have older versions on disk, or just reuse old installers that they had downloaded). Something must have prevented it from updating, because as far as I know the update feeds for version 11 are still online. I suspect it may be a compatibility issue with version 11 and newer versions of Windows 10. I would believe I remember one cropping up over a year ago that we had to fix, however older versions of EAM weren't updated to fix it since we no longer provide support for them.

20 hours ago, Nimesh said:

yes i installed emsisoft antimalware 11 then updated to latest defination update. however let me check this.

We recommend always downloading the latest version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware before installing, as it's usually faster than waiting for all of the updates to download. The exception to this is if you download the EmsisoftAntiMalwareWebSetup installer (this is the one currently downloaded by the "Download" button on our website), as it will simply download the latest MSI installer for your computer when you run it.

Yes, i thought the same that, i will install older version and update to latest version which i did but seems like it was having compatibility issue with window 10. ideally there should not be any compatibility issue, which i had thought that it will not be  and i had installed version 11. anyway i have installed latest version. it works fine. thanks a lot for quick support.

15 hours ago, Nimesh said:

ideally there should not be any compatibility issue

That would certainly be ideal, however Microsoft has made significant changes to Windows 10 since version 11 of Emsisoft Anti-Malware was discontinued, so it may no longer function on up-to-date Windows 10 systems. Microsoft has an unfortunate history of... breaking things... in updates.

15 hours ago, Nimesh said:

anyway i have installed latest version. it works fine. thanks a lot for quick support.

I'm glad to hear that. If you need anything else, then please be sure you let us know. ;)

10 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

@GT500 - there might be some point in making installers warn users if they are used more than - say - a couple of months after their release date.

Unfortunately that's something we would have needed to do years ago. Since most people are downloading the web setup (which downloads and installs one of the MSI packages), any changes to the InnoSetup installer aren't going to help, especially since the problem installers are old ones that people still have on their computer (which we can't do anything about).

• 2 weeks later...