cship

new computer with default Norton, how to uninstall safely

Hello,

I have a new computer with Norton Antivirus running by default on Windows 10.  How do I unstall it safely and reinstall my EmsiSoft Antimalware?  Should I uninstall Norton before installing and running Emsisoft or what is best procedure?  Is there anything else I should consider in this process?  Thank you in advance!

Personally I'd download the most recent installer for EAM, then uninstall Norton (you might need to look at their website for how to do that and if they have an uninstaller utility, use it), then install EAM.  I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to reboot a few times during that process.

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for your prompt reply.  I followed your suggestions with success, I am up and running all thanks to you! 

Thank you

I'm glad to hear that Jeremy's recommendation worked. If you need anything else, then please let us know. ;)

You might want to go check with File Explorer and remove all the leftover folders & files left behind. There are probably many entries in the Registry left behind. Could pass

some time if you are bored and delete them, although they won't do any harm.

Norton has a "Remove and Reinstall Tool" that should be able to remove leftovers for you, however you need to be careful not to allow it to install a Norton product again after removing leftovers. By default it will remove an existing Norton product, and then attempt to reinstall it. If I remember correctly, the controls for changing it to only remove an existing product are hidden in the "Advanced Options" in the lower-right corner.