JeremyNicoll

CLOSED Build 8627 - "enhanced documentation"

I have misgivings if there's going to be no offline help at all.  What happens if someone's not got an internet connection?

The beta release notes say "Enhanced documentation which is available in our online Helpdesk that describes all aspects of the software."    I sincerely hope you're planning to populate the online help because at the moment it seems a bit sparse.  The first topic I looked at, in the FAQ section "Installing & Uninstalling" is described as "Best practice advise for installing and removing Emsisoft products properly."... and does not contain ANY relevant information for current releases.  Instead it just mentions XP and Vista. 

It's a backward step if all you're going to do is assemble a set of blog posts.  I think the existing offline help document is already a bit sparse, but at least one could start at the top and read the whole thing.  A set of miscellaneous Q&A isn't as good.

I heartily agree with Jeremy on this. Having been burned in the past with (other) software problems and no internet connection to look for help, I've had to resort to using another computer, located elsewhere, to find online help, then print tens of pages to carry back to my computer to troubleshoot and fix the problem(s).

Emsisoft should compile the online help into a handy downloadable PDF file (and update it periodically as needed). Short of that, I'll probably spend the time to do it for myself. (I've already done that for Macrium Reflect, and it was a time investment that paid off on a couple of occasions.)

When I click on "?" in the GUI, I get taken to https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/en-us/?utm_source=refer&utm_medium=refer&utm_content=help&utm_campaign=am

There, on my only experiment, I scrolled down through the page to "Frequently Asked Questions" and totally at random clicked on "Installing & Uninstalling" which was described as "Best practice advise for installing and removing Emsisoft products properly."   That took me to a page which had ONE article on it, entitled "Why can't I install an Emsisoft product on Windows XP & Vista?".

It's  LONG way short of best practice advise (sic) on installing and uninstalling EAM.

Obviously you should read the 'User Guides' section, which is the new 'online help' and replaces the local helpfiles.

Th FAQ part is not related and will be updated on a regular base.