Problems With CAPTCHA

I'm having problems getting CAPTCHA for websites to work ... properly solved CAPTCHA's aren't accepted as such ... doesn't matter which browser I use or which website ... seems more global than the browser level. Is it possible EAM can prohibit website CAPTCHA from working properly? I think prolly not but seeing how I'm stumped I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

KenB

There is no difference when booting into Windows safe mode with networking. Also no difference if I boot FireFox in safe mode without Add-ons. I'm using Windows 10 Home x64 with Firefox x64 and have tried Edge and IE. 

KenB

Well if it does it in safe mode it cannot be EAM (which doesn't run in safe mode as you know)

Perhaps the CAPTCHAS don't like you Ken :lol:

Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head at the moment is does it happen if you run in a different profile?

EDIT.. clutching at straws here.. hardware acceleration?

I find some CAPTCHAs very annoying - sometimes having to click on little pictures for half a dozen sets, eg not being certain whether the post that holds up a street sign is classed as part of a street sign or not, or (when clicking on 'shops') not being sure if I should click on a shuttered building that could be a shop, but also could be eg a warehouse.  Or (for 'cars') whether to click on a blurry photo of some vans...

I could see there might be problems if you'd blocked a CDN that contained some of the constituent images/soundfiles, but I can't see how that could happen and you also think you'd solved them alright.

The problem I actually have is with "invisible RECAPTCHA" ... which I guess is RECAPTCHA V2. I'm thinking that it might be a Java problem ... but I haven't been able to verify that "invisible RECAPTCHA" requires Java. Java isn't installed in any of my browsers ... so maybe that's it and why it seems like a global problem.

As this doesn't seem to be related to EAM I'll end it here.

Thanks!

KenB

Are these on sites you've coded, or other people's websites?  Since the code around CAPTCHAs is in Javascript, the Javascript console in eg Firefox might let you see what code is executing, and if for example the issue is with Google's servers that might show up in the network traffic analyser part or the console too.

On 5/6/2018 at 12:23 PM, KenB said:

I'm thinking that it might be a Java problem ... but I haven't been able to verify that "invisible RECAPTCHA" requires Java. Java isn't installed in any of my browsers ... so maybe that's it and why it seems like a global problem.

It uses HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript. Best security practice is to either never have Java installed, or disable the browser plugin if you need Java for an application or game. Java in the browser is very dangerous, and should be avoided (same with Adobe Flash and Adobe Acrobat Reader).

@Jeremy ... The problem site is someone else's ... not anything I coded ... I'm not a coding kinda guy.

@GT500 ... Yep ... Java isn't installed on my system ... too darn dangerous.

The ultimate answer to my problem has surfaced. The owner of the site I was having problems with said they bungled the implementation of ReCAPTCHA v2. Frustrating how a coding error by someone else can cause thousands of people to Google answers and work till wee hours in the morning trying to fix a problem that they had no control over in the first place.

Thanks everyone!

KenB

I'm glad you've resolved this... but you quite clearly said at the start that this affected more than one website ("doesn't matter which browser I use or which website ");  now you say it was with just one website.   

I'm confused.    Did the problem only ever exist in one site?    Or has one site's bungled implementation somehow affected other sites too?  That shouldn't be possible.

@Jeremy   

Indeed you're right ... that's what I said. You're confused because I was confused ... so I decided to confuse you too.

After receiving a little CAPTCHA education I think it was only one site I had a problem with ... the one that bungled the implementation.

What I previously didn't understand was that invisible CAPTCHA even existed. So when I ran across it on other sites and was not asked to solve a challenge ... my assumption was that something was wrong with me or them and I didn't know what or why.

So I led you guys an a wild goose chase for nothin'!

KenB

35 minutes ago, KenB said:

What I previously didn't understand was that invisible CAPTCHA even existed.

I think it's a recent addition to ReCAPTCHA v2. I remember reading about it when I read about Google discontinuing ReCAPTCHA v1.

10 hours ago, KenB said:

... So when I ran across it on other sites and was not asked to solve a challenge ... my assumption was that something was wrong with me or them and I didn't know what or why...

Ah!  That makes sense.   Thank-you.