Serious problem with EAM and Windows 7

After updating to the latest version on a PC running Win 7 Professional, 64-bit, the computer will not boot.

Booting in Safe Mode and disabling the a2Antimalware service  brings the computer back to life. However, it complete freezes again as soon as the a2 service is enabled. 

Looking at various logs, it seems to be a problem with the FWNDIS_LWF service (the device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When you say "the latest version"... do you mean EAM 2018 dot something?

That service name "FWNDIS_LWF" looks odd to me - the "FW" implies "FireWall" to me... but EAM has not had a firewall for ages.    So do you maybe have the remnants of a previous version of EAM or EIS still installed, or some other company's firewall product?

I have good old Online Armor. Has been running smoothly alongside EAM for an eternity - until the most recent update of EAM that is. I doubt the fault lies with OA, because the EAM problems persist.even with OA deactivated.    

Emsisoft Online Armor was replaced by Emsisoft Internet Security which was further replaced with Emsisoft Anti Malware, I guess you are using old Online Armour with EAM which might be causing the problem, I guess uninstalling Online Armour and using EAM is enough for you since all the features of all the Emsisoft software have been integrated into EAM.

Regards

Problem is EAM has no firewall component. I wasted so much time on this that at the end had to replace EAM with NOD32 in order to get some work done. Good thing I didn't renew my EAM licence , which runs out soon. 

https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/29349-after-update-computer-wont-boot/

EAM does in no way have the features of OA. Try Comodo Firewall for that, but EAM 2018.3/2018.4 badly conflicts with CFW resulting in unbootable PCs, see link above for that, so far no solution except to stick to the delayed branch, which at least as of some hours ago was still on 2018.2.1. Since you mention you updated now, are you telling me that EAM delayed was updated to 2018.3 as well? (Had switched it to manual update just so I won't be blindsided with that update and check before updating, since I use CFW and therefore can't let it update to 2018.3.) That wasn't supposed to happen, from what I heard. But who knows anymore... So what branch are you on?

The problem appeared with  EAM 2018.3 and continued with 2018.4.0.8631. Funny thing is the latter version runs fine alongside CFW on a Win 10 laptop (even though I did have to deactivate EAM for the April 2018 Windows update to install). Using the recent versions of EAM  seems to be a bit of a lottery, not for the faint-hearted - not something you want from an expensive AV product. 

• Upvote 1