marko

Right-click context scan causing Explorer to hang

Hello

I've been having an intermittent problem recently when right-clicking a file on my desktop (any file) and selecting 'Scan with EAM' where all I get is a revolving cursor and then explorer seems to hang (it then reloads itself once I click on the desktop) - the EAM gui never opens and doesn't scan the file.

Lately, this problem seems to be happening more often, although still intermittently.

Normally, I have one instance of a2start.exe shown as running in Task Manager, but when the problem occurs, I notice that another instance of a2start.exe is created, one shown as running and one shown as suspended - see a2start.jpg attached.

Windows Reliability History shows a2start.exe as causing the problem with explorer - see attached log files EAM error.txt and EAM error 2.txt from two attempts I made today to scan an individual file (I rebooted in between these two tries).

I also notice that another user had a similar issue about a month ago with a beta version - see here https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/29345-build-8555-some-weird-things/ but I'm on the stable channel running EAM v2018.4.0.8631 under Windows 10 Home version 1803 so I don't know if this is the same issue.

EAM error 2.txt

a2start.JPG
Download Image

EAM error.txt

It sounds like the problem I reported (which for me was on W8.1); the stable version now is probably the same or even newer than the beta was back then.

Since then I've used 'Custom scan' to scan specified files/folders when needed.  It's less convenient but it does seem to work.

We have a beta update available that's fixes this. I just got done testing it, and it seems more stable on Windows 10 than the current stable version.

If you already turned off Self-protection, then please turn it back on, and you can try the beta by doing the following:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  3. Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  4. On the left, under Update Settings, click on the box to the right of Update feed and select Beta from the list.
  5. Click on the Update now button on the right side.

I did turn off self protection and havn't encountered the problem since, although it was difficult to know whether this was just coincidental as the problem was intermittent.

Anyway, I'm glad that you've been able to replicate the problem.

I've now switched to the beta channel and turned self protection back on and will see how it goes.

Thanks for your help

OK. We should be releasing the fix in a stable update as soon as we get enough feedback about the beta. If everything seems OK to you, then let me know, and I'll pass that on to our QA team.

I experienced a similar issue again this morning although this time a2start.exe crashed but didn't cause explorer to hang.

This time I tried to scan a folder on my desktop via the right-click scan with EAM option and it caused a2start.exe to crash.

EAM is currently on the beta channel with self protection disabled.

I've just sent debug logs etc for this crash to the support team via the EAM gui support screen (as I had debug enabled to try and trap the a2service errors re my other thread here https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/29533-a2serviceexe-application-error/)

When the crash happened, were you automatically asked if you would like to submit a report?

18 minutes ago, GT500 said:

When the crash happened, were you automatically asked if you would like to submit a report?

no, I wasn't asked - the gui didn't even open - it showed the revolving magnifying glass in the system tray and it just crashed and then restarted itself, and the log said that the scan it had been cancelled - see attached screenshots

forensic log.JPG
Download Image

forensic log detail.JPG
Download Image

I'm made sure that our team is aware of your debug logs, and someone will take a look at them as soon as possible.

Is it possible to let us know what you were scanning, just in case this is actually a different issue than the one discussed here?

3 minutes ago, GT500 said:

I'm made sure that our team is aware of your debug logs, and someone will take a look at them as soon as possible.

Is it possible to let us know what you were scanning, just in case this is actually a different issue than the one discussed here?

ok thanks

it was just a folder on my desktop containing 13 jpgs and a txt file

Our Support Manager took a quick look at your debug logs, and while he isn't as familiar with how to interpret them as our developers he thinks that a2start didn't actually crash, and that the scan actually completed. He's not certain why the window closed and reopened, so anything further will have to wait for developers to look over the logs.

6 hours ago, GT500 said:

Our Support Manager took a quick look at your debug logs, and while he isn't as familiar with how to interpret them as our developers he thinks that a2start didn't actually crash, and that the scan actually completed.

Well the scan log says Scanned = 0 and *** Scan aborted by user ***  - see attached file

Also, I certainly didn't cancel the scan as the log implies.

6 hours ago, GT500 said:

He's not certain why the window closed and reopened, so anything further will have to wait for developers to look over the logs.

Just to confirm, the window didn't close and reopen, it actually didn't open at all

scan_180523-090039.txt

Hello marko!

Just to explain, by "closed and reopened" I was referring to "it just crashed and then restarted itself". That isn't apparent to me in the debug logs as to why, or that it even happened. The logs appear uninterrupted to me.

However, as GT500 mentioned, I'm not one of the developers, but rather trying to determine what caused the issue before they get to it. Unfortunately all that just means that we'll need to wait on them.

Hello David

It is very odd, but the Windows Event Viewer logs seem to suggest that it did crash - as you say, we'll have to wait for the developers to know for sure.

I only added the issue in post number 7 to this thread as it seemed to be similar to the issue in the original post and I thought it might be related.

(on a side issue, it's a pity the posts in threads aren't numbered as it would be easier to refer to specific posts in a thread than having to manually count them)

The forum internally numbers posts, and the date/time at the top of each post acts as a link to the post with the post number in it. If you right-click on the date/time at the top of a post, and copy the link address, then you can paste it into a post. The forums should convert the link to the post into a sort of quote that someone can click on to view the full post. You can also link to the post using the link button in the toolbar above where you write your post, so you can have a link to a specific post just like that. ;)

And (for reference) this is what the forum does if you just paste the link directly into your post (it can take the forums a minute to respond when you do this):

You can also click on the little prong thing (3 little balls connected by 2 lines at the right hand side of a post) It will say 'share this post' when you hover over it. Click on it, copy the link, and paste it in a post.

I can confirm that the problem with a2start.exe hanging/crashing when scanning via the right-click context menu seems to be fixed in the latest beta (EAM 2018.5.0.8686) as I have been unable to replicate the issue in this version.

Thanks for your help guys.