snifferpro

EEK hangs system at specific file

Good news and bad news.

I was able to compress the full memory dump using 7zip as you suggested with the settings you suggested.

The bad news is that the compressed file is 3.12gb.

I re-compressed using volumes and it created 4 files at 700mb and 1 file at 488mb for a total of 5 files.

How would you suggest I get them to you?

You upload them to a file-sharing site (or free cloud storage if you have any), then send the URL to Emsisoft (via a private message).  Don't  post the URL here as anyone could download the dumps and search them for confidential content.     To send a private message to GT500, hover over his avatar then click the 'message' link.    See GT500's post a few posts back for the names of some file-sharing sites if you don't have a personal favourite.

The links to download the memory dump have been received, and it is downloading now. ;)

One of our developers looked at the memory dump, and said it looks like there is memory corruption. He's recommending running MemTest on the system to make sure that the RAM is OK.
https://www.memtest86.com/

Note that some issues with RAM can take a long time of rerunning the test over and over again before errors start to appear. In theory running it through 10 passes or for 24 hours (whichever comes first) should be enough.

Just finished running memtest.

Ran for 16 hours and 10 passes.  No errors.

I also ran the Microsoft memory test with no issues.

I may try MS Driver Verifier to see if it picks out a faulty driver.

May be a few days till I get to it as I'm currently having issues with my eyes.

Will report back after Driver Verifier.

Any further suggestions?

On 6/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, snifferpro said:

Any further suggestions?

Let's wait for Driver Verifier and see if it gives us any clues.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, but issues with vision kept me off the computer for weeks.  

During that time I ordered and installed a 32 inch monitor to ease my eye strain and did further diagnosis.

Also, I have finally resolved this issue.

Steps I took
     Ran memtest86 twice for 16 hours or more.  No issues found.
     Ran sfc - no issues found.
     Ran dism - no issues found.
     Installed all the latest drivers for all components.
     Installed all MS updates.
     POST - normal - no error beeps.
     Looked at event viewer - no help - usually called out ntoskrnl.
     System degraded further the longer it ran. Led me to believe there was a heat issue.
     Used an external fan to further cool the system.  No help.
     Considered replacing the power supply but decided against it because 2 other operating systems
     ran fine (Ubuntu and OSx Snow Leopard).
     Replaced keyboard and mouse.  No change.
     Disabled onboard ethernet adapter and used wifi adapter.  No change.

Windows continued to degrade with more and more BSOD's.

Booted to safe mode and system stabilized.  Checked which drivers were loaded and Nvidia drivers were absent.  
System was running with Windows default graphics driver.

Decided to upgrade my GTX 950 GPU to a GTX 1050 TI.

In safe mode I ran DDU Uninstaller to remove all GPU drivers.

Shutdown, removed 950 GPU and installed 1050 GPU.

Booted into normal mode without a network connection to prevent windows updating GPU driver.
Set windows update not to download drivers.

Installed EVGA 1050 drivers (which appear by size to be exactly the same as the 950 drivers).

Rebooted with network connection.

System stable.  EEK runs both types of scans with no issues.

With new GPU system has been stable for the last 2 days.

Again, sorry for the delayed update.

Thank you all for your assistance with this issue.

12 hours ago, snifferpro said:

Installed EVGA 1050 drivers (which appear by size to be exactly the same as the 950 drivers).

Yes, NVIDIA uses a unified driver that works for most of their video cards made within a certain time frame (sometime like the past 8 years), so the download for everything from the 500 series to the 1000 series should be the same. At least until NVIDIA moves the 500 series to "legacy" support, assuming they haven't done so already.

12 hours ago, snifferpro said:

System stable.  EEK runs both types of scans with no issues.

With new GPU system has been stable for the last 2 days.

I'm glad to hear that. Hopefully everything will remain stable for you going forward.

13 hours ago, snifferpro said:

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, but issues with vision kept me off the computer for weeks.  

During that time I ordered and installed a 32 inch monitor to ease my eye strain and did further diagnosis.

Just an FYI: In case you aren't already aware, LCD monitors use LED's for a backlight, and LED's are notorious for producing way too much blue light, which as I understand it this can cause eye strain as well. There are glasses that claim to filter out excessive blue light from computer monitors, and thus reduce eye strain. I've never personally used them, however I know people who have them and highly recommend them.

8 hours ago, GT500 said:

Just an FYI: In case you aren't already aware, LCD monitors use LED's for a backlight, and LED's are notorious for producing way too much blue light, which as I understand it this can cause eye strain as well. There are glasses that claim to filter out excessive blue light from computer monitors, and thus reduce eye strain. I've never personally used them, however I know people who have them and highly recommend them. 

To my mind one of the big problems with modern GUI systems is their tendency to have lots of pale backgrounds... and that means the screen is pushing out a lot of light for the areas you're not interested in - the 'paper'... and no or not much light for the characters on the page.  So, for applications that support it, I tend to configure things to run with black or dark blue backgrounds, and fairly bright text - just as 'old fashioned' mainframe terminals, radar screens etc do.  It's a LOT more restful.  For example compare two text editor screenshots (albeit one with no syntax-colouring defined - because the colours I normally use look terrible on a white background):

coloured text on black: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bl9cijxlqijm2j/20180710 keditonb.jpg?dl=0

the same contents, black text on white: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fbpx9jxcqtxbxwr/20180710 keditonw.jpg?dl=0

14 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

... I tend to configure things to run with black or dark blue backgrounds, and fairly bright text - just as 'old fashioned' mainframe terminals, radar screens etc do.  It's a LOT more restful.  For example compare two text editor screenshots ...

A lot of developers tend to like an IDE or text editor with a dark theme, because it's easier on the eyes. Even Notepad++ is themeable, so there's a ton of options available these days:

image.png
Download Image

image.png
Download Image