stapp

CLOSED a2 service exception

Win 10 1803 with EAM  8631

Turned on machine this morning but it wouldn't reach desktop.. just a grey screen with cursor.

Did a hard reset and everything loaded okay after booting again,

Debug logs and screenshot of event viewer entry (4.40.11 am)

a2service_20180517044653(1624).zip

hi stapp, such crash issue require a crashdump of a2service or a full system dump.

Unfortunately debuglogs are not of value in such cases.

Maybe you have setup Windows to create a dump of the crashing process automatically ?

Frank there was no desktop or I would have been able to create a dump.

Don't know if Windows would have been able to create a dump if it hadn't completed boot? Would it?

We can only confirm that when you setup windows to create crash dumps.

17 minutes ago, stapp said:

Don't know if Windows would have been able to create a dump if it hadn't completed boot? Would it?

> Don't know if Windows would have been able to create a dump if it hadn't completed boot? Would it?

The support (for manually triggering a dump) gets configured into the kernel keyboard-driver code, so I should think there's a good chance that that would work.  Also when MS designed the code I would expect that many of the dumps they would want to take would be for things happening during boot.  Having said that, according to:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/forcing-a-system-crash-from-the-keyboard  the process doesn't work if the machine happens to be doing something at a higher level of interrupt procesing than that that the dump process needs.   Methods of dumping a process or via the GUI of requesting a dump are clearly not going to work if you can't get the GUI going.

I was just making the point, I suppose, that if and when the machine reaches that grey screen you might have to trigger the dump yourself, but I'd expect - generally - that that would work.   It was more complicated for me to set this up because the standard keypresses to trigger a full dump (press RIGHT CTRL and then press SCROLL LOCK twice) can't be issued on my keyboard as it lacked the SCROLL LOCK key - and thus I had to reprogram the trigger key as well.