novuscomputers

EEC "Operation has timed out" when creating package

Bit of a newbie to the EEC and have just gotten everything set up for testing for an eventual move to production. First off, here is my setup:

• Windows Server 2016 VM (headless) which Emsisoft Enterprise Console Server sits on.
  • Workstation on same LAN on which the EEC GUI resides on which connects to the Console Server (running Win10).
  • All of the major ports for EEC (the ones listed in the user guide) are ported through to the Console Server and the Console server's firewall is currently OFF (so I know it's not a firewall issue)

Now, here's the rest of the story:

I can connect to the Console Server without issue over the LAN (and, if I port forward 31200 I can connect over the WAN) from the GUI on the workstation. I can see clients, configure the Console Server, etc. However, when I go to create a package for a new or existing computer I get an "Operation has timed out" error after about 30 seconds. I've checked the logs (relevant parts are below) but can't make heads or tails of them. If I log into the EEC GUI on the server itself and try it, everything works just fine. It's just not creating packages over the network.

Here are the logs from EEC:

Trace    5/18/2018 10:58:21 AM    [Certification manager]: Export certificate to a destination - C:\Windows\TEMP\wp5iwac5.tsm\DESKTOP-89FJDHI\Package\EEC.Client.pfx
Trace    5/18/2018 10:58:22 AM    [Certification manager]: Generate signed certificate with following data: store=MY, store type=cstMachine, subject=CN=Emsisoft Trusted Network CA (DESKTOP-89FJDHI), OU=Emsisoft Anti-Malware, O=Emsisoft Ltd, L=NZ
Trace    5/18/2018 10:58:22 AM    [Certification manager]: Found certificate with the same data
Warn    5/18/2018 11:00:01 AM    The operation has timed out

And here is the extended data from the "Warn" entry above:

The operation has timed out (System.Net.WebException)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFile(Uri address, String fileName)
   at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadFile(String address, String fileName)
   at A2EGui.Screens.Workflows.AddComputer.Service.BasePackageService.GeneratePackages(List`1 computers, String saveFullPath, String externalServerAddress, String serverPort, String licenseKey, DateTime validToDateTime, Boolean generateFullPackage)
   at A2EGui.Screens.Workflows.Package.PackageService.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<CreatePackages>b__0(ManualResetEvent _)
   at A2EGui.Dialogs.WaitDialog.DoAction()

Everything else I've tested in the EEC currently works over the network, just not the package creation process. What am I missing that will get this to work?

Hi, 

Excuse me for the delayed reply.

EEC offers multiple ways to connect to:

1) deploy
2) packages
3) manually connect from an alreaduy installed EAM (License/connect with enterprise console)
4) via cmdline  on the client

it seems that option 2 doesn't work on your network, which requires deeper investigation.

Did you try to connect by using the other options or is the application of packages a requirement.

Package creation isn't an absolute requirement but it is something I'd like to utilize for remote deployment.

I've not tried connecting a client system to the EEC via the command line but it does connect through the GUI (via License/connect with enterprise console) just fine. The issue isn't with the client systems connecting to the Enterprise Console, it's with trying to create a deployment package using the EEC GUI which is on a different computer from the actual EEC Console server (but still on the same LAN). The client systems connect up and work just fine once Emsisoft is actually installed on them, they take commands and everything, it's just creating an installer for those client systems which is the problem.

I'll see if I can record and upload a video of what I'm trying to do and maybe that will clarify things a bit.