drakeman

Why everytime OA armor ask me for allow or block it blocks my remote connection

Hello guys,

Im seeing a little issue with OA++, i always let my home pc turned on, because i connect to my home pc from my work remotely using RDP.

The thing is, when im using the rdp connection if i open for example the cmd command prompt in my home pc and do nslookup www.gooogle.com for example. when OA ask me if i want to Accept or denny that action, i cannot click allow or block, because the rdp connections halts

I think this maybe is a bug of the software, when oa ask for a permission allow or block it deactivates the other rules until you can click allow or block....

This can be fixed with and update please, ive lost my rdp connection like 3 days from now.....

Thanks guys

Edit/Delete Message

Hi,

in our old forum there is a topic of user experiencing similar problems (but with LogMeIn). OA developer answer was:

This relates to OA selfdefence. LogMeIn uses API to control input, but OA doesn't allow to control its windows by API, it only allows user input(...)For the next release we tuned this behavior and the current beta allows to use LogMeIn remotely.

I'm sadly not able to tell you if that fix made its way to final release, but you can try to update your OA to latest version - if you haven't done this already - and check if that fixes your problem.

Hopefully someone from OA team would be able to answer to you shortly.

Hi,

in our old forum there is a topic of user experiencing similar problems (but with LogMeIn). OA developer answer was:

I'm sadly not able to tell you if that fix made its way to final release, but you can try to update your OA to latest version - if you haven't done this already - and check if that fixes your problem.

Hopefully someone from OA team would be able to answer to you shortly.

Thanks for the info.. yes, well that post its a little old, now i have the last version and the problem is still there. i uninstalled oa++ to see if a new version releases with this fixed.... this option its critical for me....

Hmmm - I have noticed that when OA displays an alert Internet access is halted completely - this means that other programs are unable to access the Internet either. For example, an updater will start when I am surfing the net and OA will display an alert. The web page that I.E. was loading will halt until the OA alert has been dealt with. I always thought this a little strange.

Can't OA just halt the process that's trying to use the Internet connection without stopping everything else? Or is my OA not working properly?

Guest Julian

Can't OA just halt the process that's trying to use the Internet connection without stopping everything else? Or is my OA not working properly?

I can confirm your findings.

I think asking the devs would be a good option.

Hmmm - I have noticed that when OA displays an alert Internet access is halted completely - this means that other programs are unable to access the Internet either. For example, an updater will start when I am surfing the net and OA will display an alert. The web page that I.E. was loading will halt until the OA alert has been dealt with. I always thought this a little strange.

Thats right, thats why i have to uninstalled my paid version of oa++ till the company can fix this....

I can confirm your findings.

I think asking the devs would be a good option.

The developers dont read this forum? i think they should read from here :D or there is an special mail address?

thanks.

Guest Julian

The developers dont read this forum? i think they should read from here :D or there is an special mail address?

The best way to contact the devs is to send in a bug report (by betatesters).

At least if it's really a bug.

Maybe they'll give some feedback here, we'll see.

The best way to contact the devs is to send in a bug report (by betatesters).

At least if it's really a bug.

Maybe they'll give some feedback here, we'll see.

Thanks Julian, that would be awesome, i paid two years of license and for now because of this error im using another "firewall + av" solution till this problem is fixed. The other Solution (I reserve the name) im using right now doesnt have this problem at all, through rdp you can accept or deny any rule without dropping my connection.

Surely this is a bug.

Guest Julian

Surely this is a bug.

From what I've been told this is more or less by design, the devs are aware of it.

I can't tell you if it will change in near future, hopefully it will.

From what I've been told this is more or less by design...

Surely not... This incapacitates the Internet connection - nothing else works.

What happens when I'm downloading a nGB file and watching a film on TV with the PC screen turned off and Windows Live Communication Platform (which I have ticked as trusted more times than I can remember) connects and OA generates an alert (again) and kills the connection? Will the download be protected?

Exactly what I've found too. If OA asks anything concerning allow or block any program/process, it blocks the whole computer internet access. As I sometimes have to connect to my comp remotely (with LogMeIn), it's very unfortunate behaviour for me. Although I paid for OA, I think about unistall it and use another firewall. Sad. Hope there could be some repair to this soon.

BTW, it seems to me that my internet connection slows down with OA (or better say reaction of pages loading). Hard to say if it makes OA alone, but as I saw somewhere here the same description of this problem, I'm a little bit suspicious.

Is this product in beta stage and somebody forgot to tell me? If I'm beta tester, I expect I could earn some money for beta testing and not to pay myself for it...

Exactly what I've found too. If OA asks anything concerning allow or block any program/process, it blocks the whole computer internet access. As I sometimes have to connect to my comp remotely (with LogMeIn),

Hi Libor,

Do you have all entries relating to LogMeIn marked as Trusted (highlighted green) in OA's program's list? If you already have them Trusted with no success, could you try adding the LogMeIn folder to OA's exclusions list under Options -> Exclusions? This worked for a few others in the same situation? :) Another possible alternative to using Esclusions could be to set LogMeIn as an installer.

Hi Libor,

Do you have all entries relating to LogMeIn marked as Trusted (highlighted green) in OA's program's list? If you already have them Trusted with no success, could you try adding the LogMeIn folder to OA's exclusions list under Options -> Exclusions? This worked for a few others in the same situation? :) Another possible alternative to using Esclusions could be to set LogMeIn as an installer.

Hi Surelycat,

I'll give it a try in the afternoon (just now I'm out), but the whole problem isn't only in LogMeIn. If OAF blocks internet connection, it block it not only for LogMeIn, but for the whole computer. I couldn't access comp even on LAN (mapped discs) and any program in pc couldn't access web (even Emsisoft Anti-Malware updates etc.).

I looked over this "blocking" behaviour of OAF yesterday and today. It's definitely bad idea to do it this way and I call it a bug. It has nothing to do with LogMeIn. OAF simply blocks whole internet connection if it asks user for input (allow, block, trust, etc.). It's for nothing good to block web connection for the whole computer, if OAF asks only for permission to connect a new (and sometimes insignificant) program. Such firewall is ridiculous.

The main problem lies also partly in the strange idea to ask permission for one program (trusted and allowed before) many times for each one port that program is using. IMHO if I allow any program to connect, there isn't any sane reason to ask me again and again on every other opening port (some programs dynamically open a lot of ports and more to it, every time they open ports with different numbers, so OAF asks for permission on and on and on... usually after comp restart again for the same program. And if I'm not by the computer, it blocks web connection... It's very unfortunate/strange "feature" of OAF).

If I could advise some solution it would be this: let OAF asks user input only for the very first web connection of program with easy possibilities - 1) block 2)only outbound 3)outbound and inbound - for all ports program will use. There could be then chance to edit rules of this precisely (even with port numbers, protocols etc.) in some menu, if users has necessity to do so. This is logicall and only possible behaviour of firewall. All other features could be there and could improve OAF, but lets start by the basics. And please stop blocking computer from web access if OAF only asks user for input about new or unknown programs.

I agree.

The ports could be addressed - some organisations monitor so-called 'rising ports' e.g. http://esecurityintelligence.net/. OA could allow programs web access generally, but where connection to a suspicious port is made then OA could display an alert. This could be included in the configuration options: allow unrestricted access, or allow access except when connection to a suspicious port is made.

However, not being a professional security buff, I might be being naive here... :D

What do you guys think?

The main problem lies also partly in the strange idea to ask permission for one program (trusted and allowed before) many times for each one port that program is using.

This shouldn't occur if you have "Autoconfigure trusted programs" ticked under Options -> Firewall (this is for Advanced mode). If are using Standard mode, then you only get asked the first time a program requests internet access (and if you have "Automatically allow trusted programs to access the internet" ticked (again under Options-> Firewall), even this is done automatically).

If you have Program Guard disabled (I have no idea if you do or not), then the above doesn't work the same way though.

This shouldn't occur if you have "Autoconfigure trusted programs" ticked under Options -> Firewall (this is for Advanced mode). If are using Standard mode, then you only get asked the first time a program requests internet access (and if you have "Automatically allow trusted programs to access the internet" ticked (again under Options-> Firewall), even this is done automatically).

If you have Program Guard disabled (I have no idea if you do or not), then the above doesn't work the same way though.

I do have "Autoconfigure trusted programs" ticked (Advanced mode) and Program Guard is enabled by me. Ok, today OAF haven't been asking for permissions of known programs, so I let it be and watch it over silently during weekend. But the other trouble with blocking the whole computer if it asks permission for any new program to connect stays (and it's very annoying).