I am sorry to say I HATE the new settings.

It opens out where ever it feels like, and the list of things in it is so large you have to scroll down it for what seems like ages.

Why is there so much white space in it?

Why is there so much space between each tickbox?

• Like 1

Bring back the previous settings! There's no need to replace the working fine settings with this new one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  

I  prefer the old one, faster access and better visibility. Too much scrolling to my taste, make it confusing.

I think it's weird - no improvement to my mind - the way everything's in one big list, which can be scrolled to any point, and yet there's still the four 'tabs' at the top of the list as if there are four separate pages.  But if all of the settings are still there, surely that's the important thing?

8 minutes ago, Frank H said:

hi guys, thanks for your feedback.

Did you read our blogpost where we explain  why we are updating the GUI ?

https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/31545/new-in-2018-6-improved-settings-panel/

Yes I did. That's why I'm giving the feedback :) 

It's too long.

Too much white space.

Too much space between tickboxes.

In blog it said it would increase my work efficency.

It also said the most used would be at the top. So why does setting seem to open anywhere it wants at random.

19 minutes ago, stapp said:

It also said the most used would be at the top. So why does setting seem to open anywhere it wants at random.

On a next open of the settings panel, EAM  scrolls to the last setting you viewed.

please note that the submenu indicator jumps to the section you are viewing, when you scroll up or down.

On next open, EAM will scroll to the section that was auto-selected or manually selected in the submenu.

it's not random ;)

Sorry Frank. I just don't like it.

It's too big, too white and too jumpy.

I understand stapp.

Please note that the Settings panel isn't used much. Most important/used settings are placed on top.

Besides that, it's the biggest panel. All others that will be updated are much smaller, hence less scrolling.

@Petrovic hi, that counter is an indicator for the total amount of detected threads.

It is not linked to any log and requires a manual reset.

You could clear it at Settings/Advanced: factory reset: revert and select 'Clear all logs and reset counters'

48 minutes ago, Secondmineboy said:

BTW, u can click the titles in the settings at the top like previously to jump to a certain part of the settings page :)

Makes me dizzy doing that :lol:

Why have both?

To be able to jump to a section without scrolling.

for stapp: click, close eyes, open eyes :P

44 minutes ago, Frank H said:

To be able to jump to a section without scrolling.

for stapp: click, close eyes, open eyes :P

:lol:

I still hate it :P

1 hour ago, Frank H said:

What scantype did you perform ? 

context & custom(including scan compressed files)

While the Bitdefender engine can and does unpack UPX packed files, it seems some automatically generated signatures stop working in such cases. We have reported it to Bitdefender.

Using 8750... I just went to start a Custom scan... and found the options panel was preloaded with the details of a single fle (probably the last context scan I did though I'm afraid I didn't check that) and no longer had the list of disks and options that normally remain on the panel from one custom scan to the next.

Thanks Jeremy, This is expected behavior for now. As context scans are custom scans, th GUI remembers them until EAM is restarted or the computer restarts.

I think we have an item on our todo list to clear the list when a users closes the GUI.

It's not useful to have the GUI remember the filename(s) last selected for a context scan, whereas the old behaviour was useful.

This behavior is not new Jeremy, it's been there since we introduced v12 afaik.

I do a custom scan roughly weekly and usually do not have to change the GUI settings from what they were for the previous custom scan.    I do context scans as and when I need them.

Looking back at the \Reports  folder, I see that I did a context scan of a single file on 5th July, and a custom scan of both drives on the 7th... and on the 7th I did not have to reset the GUI options from the previous both-drive scan (on 30 June).   I did context scans on the 8th, 10th and 11th of July then on 16th July a both-drive scan and did have to reset the GUI.

If the behaviour's supposedly been constant (since v12 - when was that?) it's not easy to understand what's going on.  You say "As context scans are custom scans, th GUI remembers them until EAM is restarted or the computer restarts".... so what happens when the computer is restarted?  What values are shown next time one goes to the Custom panel?

I reiterate though: there's no point in remembering the file(s) scanned by a context scan - they're going to be respecified whenever someone does another context scan.  But a user deliberately setting up a custom scan might, like me, expect to see its details next time they do the same thing.

33 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

What values are shown next time one goes to the Custom panel?

The default values with all detected drives.