govind

Repeated BSOD

Dear Emsisoft,

I am running the paid version of emsisoft A.M, every thing was fine until today morning. When i made a restart, during the boot the the system crashes with a blue screen error. I could not even use the safe mode and last known good configuration as the bsod happens repeatedly when ever i use these options. The problem is that i have many files created in my new C: drive. For your kind info, i am running only one a.v solution which is E.A.M, i don't even use an on demand scanner.And i did not install any new software or hardware recently Kindly let me know what could be done to restore my pc to the working state. I could not send any details that are displayed in the BSOD message, because it disappears in a fraction of second. Kindly reply me at the earliest.  

Thanks.

Which version of Windows?   You should be able to turn off, in Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Startup and Rceovery - Settings - System Failure - Automatic Restart... whcih will at least give you a chance to read the BSOD screen before the system restarts.   Also there might be info in the Event Log about the BSOD or any errors that immediately preceded it.

Do you know how to get into the recovery mode? If so, then I have some instructions that may help (I'll paste them below). Note that they're intended for technicians, and may be a little complicated, so if you need anything clarified then please let me know.

Please try booting into the Recovery Mode and open a Command Prompt (I would believe it is in the "Troubleshooting" category). Once you're there, run regedit, and try the following:

1. Click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" to select it.
2. Click on 'File' and select "Load Hive".
3. Load the system registry hive from the offline installation of Windows. The path should be as follows (note that the C: drive should be the Recovery Environment, and the D: drive should be the offline installation of Windows):
-- D:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM
4. Give it a name that's easy to find ("Offline-System" for instance).
5. If it wasn't expanded automatically, then expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" and select the offline system registry hive you loaded.
6. Navigate to the following subkey (when you get to 'Classes' you can click on one of the subkeys, and then type out "{4d" to quickly jump to the fist entry that begins with that characters, and then use the down arrow on the keyboard to scroll through them until you find one that has an entry in the list on the right for 'Class' that has a value of 'DiskDrive' like in the screenshot at the bottom of my e-mail):
-- ...\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
7. Once you have the correct subkey selected, look in the list on the right for 'UpperFilters' (it's on the bottom of the list in my screenshot).
8. If the value for UpperFilters contains "eppdisk" like in my screenshot, then please try double-clicking on UpperFilters, and remove the line that says "eppdisk". If it does not, then skip steps #8 and #9, and let me know what it says (also see note below instructions).
9. Click 'OK' to save your changes. Regedit will display a warning message, however this does not mean that anything went wrong (it always displays this warning when editing this registry value).
10. Click in the list on the left again, and tap the left arrow key until it collapses everything except "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".
11. Click on your imported offline system registry hive to select it.
12. Click on 'File', and select "Unload Hive".
13. Close regedit.
14. Type 'exit' into the Command Prompt, and this should shut off the computer.
15. Try starting the computer normally.

Note: You can export the {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry key while the offline system hive is still loaded and send me the saved five if you would like. Simply right-click on a registry key (these are in the list on the left) and select 'Export' from the menu, and be sure to save it somewhere on the D: drive (or on removable media if you have some available). Sending us the export of the registry key will help us to determine what's going on.

Regedit_Finding_UpperFilters_Screenshot.png
Download Image

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. If you run in to it again, then please let us know.