Raynor

Please stop making the user interface (and the defaults) worse!

Well,

the new scrolling settings view in 2018.06 already annoyed me (as well as many others), but back then I didn't feel the need
to speak up because it was just one window. Now, with 2018.07 the scrolling view has been added to the "protection" section
of the Interface as well.

The usability of this scrolling view is HORRIBLE in my opinion, it is jumpy, makes you dizzy, and just somehow feels wrong.

And as a bonus, I have added a little treat (see attached screenshot). On one of my PCs, I have increased the DPI scaling because I need bigger fonts.
Now the main window is just a tiny little bit too large to fit the screen, which results in the rightmost scrollbar. But because of the scrolling settings,
I now have TWO scrollbars. Now isn't that cute... no, wait, it isn't. The whole thing is just an abhorrent abomination.

Bottom line: Please  stop making the UI worse. There has been criticism by other users about the scrolling settings view in 2018.06 already.
In fact, telling from the comments, nearly nobody seems to like it. Which is not surprising, because it's a bad design decision.

The new On-Demand scanning default in 2018.07 is also a change to the worse, as Piotr has rightfully pointed out
in his comments (especially in the second one) below the following article:

https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/31683/new-in-2018-7-improved-file-guard-performance/

Sorry for the scathing criticism (it is intended to be constructive!), but these recent changes indeed feel a bit like like making changes just for the sake of change... 😰

All the best and best regards
Raynor

Two Scrollbars.png
Download Image

> as Piotr has rightfully pointed out in his comments...

I'm interested in something in Fabian's reponse to those comments, namely:  "If a lot of people switch the default value, we may consider adding other options".     How will Emsisoft know how many of us change the default value, if there's no 'telemetry' sending that info back to them?

• Upvote 1

Hello,

I like very much the New EAM. It is going always better. Its is not «Horrible.... Wrong...Abomination...» I am with Emsisoft since 2014 and it is the best one ... Congratulations Emsisoft.

OK, fair enough, I guess it comes down to personal preference. Everybody is entitled to their opinion,
and I just wanted to express that I personally absolutely do not like the recent interface changes.

Again, it's intended as constructive criticism, even if my wording might indeed have been a bit harsh (sorry about that 😇).

But on a factual level, I stand by my opinion 🙂

To give two concrete examples:

1) The behaviour blocker program list in the protection section is in itself a scrolling list,
so now we have a scrolling list view within a scrolling preferences list.

2) The navigation tabs at the top (Behaviour Blocker, File Guard, Surf Protection) are still there,
creating the illusion of a tabbed preferences window. But clicking on the tabs only scrolls down the
view to the appropriate section. This just does not feel consistent/logical to me....

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2018 at 4:16 PM, saif7861984 said:

the new interface is not smooth to scroll and the main window should be made more compact like other security suites

Thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded it to QA.

On 8/2/2018 at 2:56 PM, JeremyNicoll said:

How will Emsisoft know how many of us change the default value, if there's no 'telemetry' sending that info back to them?

It would be based on user feedback. You can see all communication between EAM and our servers with Fiddler, if you enable the option in Fiddler to decrypt HTTP traffic and allow Fiddler's root certificate to be installed. Note when this option is turned on Fiddler is essentially performing a "man-in-the-middle attack", and unless you turn that option in Fiddler off it will apply to any browser you open that automatically uses Windows proxy settings.

9 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

Ok, so in fact, you wouldn't /know/,  you'd be guessing.

We'd be basing it on incomplete information, since not everyone submits feedback, however it still wouldn't be entirely a "shot in the dark" either. ;)

Sorry to butt in, but i don't like the new Interface. Too Much scrolling IMHO, rather have the settings sorted under their own TAB, but maybe that's just me *easier to find* (support - everything for support, internet settings - everything for internet settings).

Example:

I was looking for "Factory Defaults" it took me a while to find as it was under advanced (logical) but you have to scroll ALL the way down (not logical) to find it.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:08 AM, iammike said:

Sorry to butt in, but i don't like the new Interface. Too Much scrolling IMHO, rather have the settings sorted under their own TAB, but maybe that's just me *easier to find* (support - everything for support, internet settings - everything for internet settings).

Example:

I was looking for "Factory Defaults" it took me a while to find as it was under advanced (logical) but you have to scroll ALL the way down (not logical) to find it.

Thank you for your feedback. I have forwarded it to QA.

Chiming in about the new UI:

1. I use 125% DPI. The UI window (2018.8.1) needs to be much larger (almost full screen) in order to contain most of the information it did before the update. This also applies when using the "slim icon-only bar to keep it as compact as possible". I'm sorry but what I read  at the beginning here is simply not true - or does not apply at all on my system.

2. The scrolling: it does not "make things more user-friendly", because: unless fully memorised, you don't really know where settings are. You have to keep scrolling to find them. I've mentioned it elsewhere, it's an "eyes" issue, not just personal preference and all this extra scrolling (on an almost full-screen UI no less) makes the whole thing very uncomfortable.

Really sorry that I can't report anything positive about it. In the years I've been using EIS/EAM, I don't recall any "feature reversions" so I can only suggest this: please consider the use of themes/skins etc. so that we could have the previous, "steady" UI as an option.