JeremyNicoll

CLOSED Build 8839 - weird behaviour of Protection - BB - display filtering

Win 8.1, EAM 8839

In Protection - BB - if I type eg: 'ked' (without quotes) in the search field the display is filtered to show just the instances of 'KEDITW32.exe'  (my text editor) that are running.  If I then append some random chars to 'ked' making it eg 'kedjkl'  the display does not change.    But I seriously doubt that there are any entries that actually contain 'kedjkl', which I think is misleading.

If I enter 'wav' in the search field I'm shown 7 programs, none of which have "wav" in any visible text.    It's not just matching on "w" or "wa" though because as I entered "wav" I paused between chars.  That's to say, with just "w" in the search field I see more than 60 entries, then with "wa" I see 12 entries, then with "wav" I see 7.     I realise that "wav" might occur in some field that's not displayed to the user, but that's quite confusing if it is the case.

So, suppose I then right-click one of the seven lines and choose "Open file location" or "File properties"... absolutely nothing happens.  I've done this several times with different entries and regularly see nothing (and two of those seven lines are 'KEDITW32.exe" ones).   But, if I go back to the display based on 'ked', selecting one of those programs DOES open the file location or show its properties.

thanks. this is a gui issue. as soon as you type non-matching characters, the grid gets confused and isn't refreshed.

The grid should show no matching processes for 'kedjkl'. the issue with non working context menu entries will then be non-existent.

workaround:

when you typed a non matching search word, click in the grid and use the scrollwheel. the list will be refreshed and emptied

OK, the workaround works here, when there's an obviously false search string and appending extra characters to a working string invalidates it.

But it doesn't explain why starting afresh I see 60 then 12 then 7 items when entering successive w, a and v to form the list of 7 items.  Obviously quite a lot of items do contain "w" - it's in "Windows" and eg "software".  Appending the "a" does seem to cut down the number of things seen and appending "v" cuts them down again, which certainly looks, to a user, as if filtering is working properly.    If I try the click & scroll after adding each character, the final 7-entries-for-wav display does get emptied (and the prior two do not).  But why is the 12-entry "wa" display being modified when "v" is added?

I wouldn't invest too much time in this now Jeremy as search is unstable. will be improved.