stapp

CLOSED 2018.7.1. 8839 shutdown issue.

On Windows 10 I saw this in System Event viewer logs this morning.

I rebooted just now and it shows again.

I have FastBoot disabled.

It doesn't show on Win 7.

The Emsisoft Protection Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a pre-shutdown control.

shutdown.txt

19 minutes ago, Peter2150 said:

I see a much slower shutdown on Win 7.   Been true last two builds.

Peter is there anything showing for it in the Windows Event Viewer?

regarding to the shutdown delays: could you guys try this:

1. disable self-protection in EAM

2. open CMD as administrator

3. run: sc stop a2antimalware

4. check with taskmanager if proces a2service stays in 'stopping' state

5. create a process dump if so

6. please send me the dumpfile, zipped.

you can start EAm again by starting Emsisoft Anti-Malware via  the windows start  menu.

thanks

I think I may have broken something :(

Did it first time and saved a dump but didn't know it EAM was stopped because I forgot to look under the details tab :blush:

So I restarted EAM via start menu but it didn't show in taskbar, so I tried with EAM desktop icon.

Then it showed 2 EAM guards in taskmanager and cmd wouldn't let me stop the service again and an EAM  popup said it had a problem and try rebooting. :(

I am going to reboot and try again.

tm.PNG
Download Image

I've created a dump file that I can send via WeTransfer, but what email address do I send it to ?

I also had a delayed shutdown (in W8.1) and since rebooting have tried your process twice.  The first time, a2service.exe did not go into "Stopping" at all, just stayed "running".   I didn't dump it, because I was looking for "Running" to become "Stopping"... but I realise now I probably got that wrong... because that "Running" was on the Details tab in TM next to the display of a2service.exe,  and I now realise the service state is shown on a different tab. (I normally use PH.) 

I rebooted and tried the whole thing again and the second time it stopped immediately.

We've found the culprit in the service dump by @marko
We will work on a fix.
There is no need to provide new dumps for now.

Thanks guys.

Excellent!  (The restart needed to get the new beta installed stalled, presumably because it was the older a2service.exe that was failing to stop properly... and I did dump that, but I suppose you won't need the dump). 

After that I shut down my W8.1 system and I can confirm that, here, that shutdown was its normal brisk self - the message saying that Emsisoft Protection Service was shutting down was only visible for a second or two before subsequent stuff happened.  Hooray!

Confirmed that the service stalled on the service restart of the new beta.

Hopefully that will be the last time :)

Other than that all seems okay.

Build 8843 is working fine for me - no more errors in Event Viewer at shutdown and it shuts down nice and quickly again.

I didn't notice any delay between service shutdown and restart during the upgrade - went very smoothly and the EAM log shows it took 4 secs to stop and start protection.

thanks for your feedback guys. much appreciated. 2018.7.2.8843 will probably go to stable today.