jamjar

Preshutdown events in Event Viewer

I recently had the following error message in Event Viewer every time I shut down my PC:

“The Emsisoft Protection Service service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.” This was resolved after receiving update 8843.

However, after receiving Tuesday’s Windows updates, I now have this error message:

“The Windows Update service did not shut down properly after receiving a preshutdown control.” 

I've not had these events showing up before. Just a coincidence or could it be an underlying problem? 

> or could it be an underlying problem?

Probably not.  Windows sends a message to every running service telling it that a shutdown's about to happen, so those services can tidy things up and stop in a controlled fashion.  If the Eventlog is recording that specific services know they received that message, but were unable to stop, then it's hard to see that as a system-wide issue.  If it were a system-wide one, you'd be seeing these messages from every service.  It's clear that the messages ARE getting to the services, too.  More likely, WU has broken itself.

@slopesif you're saying the error occurred shutting down the older version of EAM before the update took effect, that's not a surprise...   If the same thing happens with the newer version that WILL be a surprise.

Version 2018.7.2.8843

This just happened after installing patch tues updates.Did the restart, it configured then went to desktop, about a minute later desktop turned shaded and froze.

If you'd done the restart, and hadn't asked the restarted system to shut down, then a pre-shutdown failure (for the new version) makes no sense.  I'm not saying the new EAM versions's desktop may not have had a problem, but I can't see how that would have anything to do with a failure to shut down the old version. 

Some of these restarts (around Windows Updates) are presumably of the whole system (ie a reboot) so every service will have had to shutdown.  Others may have been just  a2service.exe (if EAM was doing a restart).   In your situation I'd note down the timestamps of all the Event Log records that seem relevant (and there will be some that record the whole system shuting down and restarting as well), as well as any that are EAM-specific.   You need to be sure what service(s) had shutdown errors.

I saved the event log and everything does seems fine now.Did a shutdown to check and had no errors.

Thanks Jeremy

PS a2service was the only error event 1000

9 hours ago, jamjar said:

I've not had these events showing up before. Just a coincidence or could it be an underlying problem? 

Do these errors appear in the Event Log after every shutdown/restart?

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for your reply.

“More likely, WU has broken itself”. Am I right in thinking that that doesn't mean WU on my PC might be broken?  

It's possible that there was an issue with an update that was installed, causing the shutdown issue with the Windows Update service. Unless there's a persistent problem with Windows Update, then it's more than likely nothing to worry about.

Found out long time ago that many event errors are timing related. Windows expects something should happen in a certain period of time and when it doesn't

an error is generated. Unless I notice a possible problem, I no longer check the event log.

4 hours ago, Ken1943 said:

Found out long time ago that many event errors are timing related. Windows expects something should happen in a certain period of time and when it doesn't an error is generated.

That can certainly be the case. If an issue is persistent (happens multiple times, especially with a repeating pattern) then it might be a good idea to look into why it's happening, however occasional errors in the Event Logs are to be expected.