22Green

Emsisoft no longer default anti virus Windows Def. now is??

"If you open Windows Defender Security Center and click on 'Virus and Threat Protection' it should say that Emsisoft is your av."

This was working perfectly for a few months till this morning I take it. I have a full license bought a while back and not expired.  Anyone know why WD has now taken over as my default anti-virus?

I know WD is default b/c I can search my exclusions I had before I bought Emsisoft. Its listing them again. There doesn't appear to be any issues with Ems. either. 😕

image.thumb.png.309a54c948bfdab37b2ae6e3d16401ef.png
Download Image

EAM is fine here (on W8.1) too.  Indeed, it's not possible to open the Windows Defender Security Center; I get a message saying I've chosen to run something else, and I should use it.  I think in W8.1 I'd need to go to the Action Center and turn off EAM before I could expect to have some way of turning WD on.  If it's the same in Windows 10, it's hard to see that you could do it accidentally.

Does the EAM OVerview screen show that all four of its components are on (ie 4 ticks in the lefthand green box)?

Had to do a system restore to previous week. I was having issues with GeForce Exp. and all of a sudden pinned icons were missing from the task bar. Lots of issues in Event Viewer. No idea what happen but something got hosed. Back to normal now :)

Thanks for the replies this thread I believe can be closed.

image.thumb.png.cdef993e79f83b0bca55dbfc2ae63fc6.png
Download Image

Note that using the System Restore could remove the uninstaller for Emsisoft Anti-Malware, or revert its drivers and service to older versions without reverting all of its components to older versions.

If you can open Emsisoft Anti-Malware and interact with it without problems, then the service is OK, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware will continue protecting your computer. The uninstaller is a different matter, and can't be replaced without reinstalling, so if you ever need to uninstall/reinstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware and run into trouble then let us know.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:31 PM, JeremyNicoll said:

EAM is fine here (on W8.1) too.  Indeed, it's not possible to open the Windows Defender Security Center; I get a message saying I've chosen to run something else, and I should use it.  I think in W8.1 I'd need to go to the Action Center and turn off EAM before I could expect to have some way of turning WD on.  If it's the same in Windows 10, it's hard to see that you could do it accidentally.

Does the EAM OVerview screen show that all four of its components are on (ie 4 ticks in the lefthand green box)?

Hi where do I find this version? Am I on the latest? I see you mention 8.1

image.thumb.png.4b65b10af211df5a6935f2e87c70e0fd.png
Download Image

23 hours ago, GT500 said:

Note that using the System Restore could remove the uninstaller for Emsisoft Anti-Malware, or revert its drivers and service to older versions without reverting all of its components to older versions.

If you can open Emsisoft Anti-Malware and interact with it without problems, then the service is OK, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware will continue protecting your computer. The uninstaller is a different matter, and can't be replaced without reinstalling, so if you ever need to uninstall/reinstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware and run into trouble then let us know.

ok thanks it seems to be running fine. I assume maybe a sys restore that would have gone back weeks would be an issue. Lucky I just had to go back a week.

> Hi where do I find this version? Am I on the latest? I see you mention 8.1

Yes you're on the latest version of EAM.    I mentioned "W8.1", that's to say "Windows 8.1", trying to make it clear that I knew that my comments might not apply to W10.

22 hours ago, 22Green said:

I assume maybe a sys restore that would have gone back weeks would be an issue. Lucky I just had to go back a week.

As far as I know, the age of the restore point isn't necessarily related to why the System Restore removes our uninstaller. Unfortunately in the cases where people have run into the issue, they usually don't tell us the age of the restore point they used or when Emsisoft Anti-Malware was installed, so all I know for certain is that it can happen.

1 hour ago, GT500 said:

As far as I know, the age of the restore point isn't necessarily related to why the System Restore removes our uninstaller. Unfortunately in the cases where people have run into the issue, they usually don't tell us the age of the restore point they used or when Emsisoft Anti-Malware was installed, so all I know for certain is that it can happen.

Just turned my PC on its back Defender now is default again. Geforce won't launch either says there was a problem... i'm uninstalling that for now.

I have no idea whats going on here. And I see a new task added searching Google now. Running virus can full scans nothing shows up.

image.thumb.png.4fb3d18062a520b858966419d0bf9029.png
Download Image

image.thumb.png.f47c96c4e0691a6aa18470731d315262.png
Download Image

I think I know what happen. I was getting and still am Event 10016 DCOM error to one particular entry and i've done my home work on granting permission, taking over the two registry keys associated with this to Administrator - tons of threads on this going back to Windows XP. I know it says these are harmless but when your EV is clean as a whistle and you have this one entry it bugs ya. Granting the permissions to exactly what says doesn't have permission doesn't fix the issue. I've done this in the past and no issues - this one won't seem to 'fix'

I changed the Access permissions to default just last week to see if the issue would somehow go away. Under Component Services - Windows Management and Instrumentation Properties is the service that is generating all those errors. Fixes on the web are to start/restart the service.

I'm going to put it back the way it was and ignore this DCOM error in EV and move on with life. Its pretty much a brand new W10 Alienware Aurora R7 built to the hill. We'll see if going back to what I had it fixes this dilemma.

22 hours ago, 22Green said:

Just turned my PC on its back Defender now is default again.

It's possible that turning off integration with the Windows Security Center and then turning it back on will resolve this. Here's what to do:

1. Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  2. Click on Settings in the menu at the top..
  3. Click on Advanced in the lower of the two menus at the top.
  4. Turn off the option that says Windows Security Center integration.
  5. Wait a couple of seconds, and then turn it back on.
  6. Close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Note: You may need to restart your computer before the changes fully take effect. Being Windows 10, I recommend restarting by right-clicking on the Start button, going to Shut down or sign off, and selecting Restart from that menu.

ok great I will try that tonight and when I went back into DCOM the settings/permissions were already back to what I originally had. I ran SFC a few times didn't find anything so those settings being back could have been from the sys restore I did. I think the issue comes back when Windows Defender has an update but no idea why its messes with GeForce Experience.. and removes my pinned icons. Seemed ok last night but it was that way for a few days then BAM messed up again. 

I will try that suggestion tonight thanks again i'll post back.

For the DCOM errors, you may be interested in post #5 (by usasma) at the following link:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612593/these-dcom-errors-are-annoying/#entry3990199

Note that you may not be able to completely eliminate DCOM errors in the Event Logs. Sadly it's natural to see at least some, and you should really only worry about them if something is wrong.

As for the other issues, Windows Update on Windows 10 is known to change settings and install things without permission. You can curtail a certain amount of that with tools like ShutUp10, however I don't think it's possible to fully reign-in Windows Update and keep it from changing things.

If you do decide to use ShutUp10, then do not enable the option with the red box around it in the following screenshot, as it will completely disable Windows Update (even manual updates will be impossible):

image.png
Download Image