stapp

CLOSED Still scanning?

3 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Debuglogs could help here, stapp

No need now it disappeared after a couple of hours.

Perhaps a defs update or a reboot I did may have cleared it.

There's definitely something not right with this as I'm getting strange behaviour too.

I've just done a Quick Scan - the detailed scan report shows it started at 16:01:07 and finished at 16:01:33 but the Forensic Log is still showing it as being 'in progress' several minutes later - as I type this, it is now 16:08image.png.418565a4c7aa3768aeff1c50cb7aa52b.png
Download Image

Closing the gui and re-opening it has no effect on the forensic log as it still shows it as being in progress - It seems to me that it would just stay like this ad infinitum and that you have to do something else in order to wake it up (e.g. do another scan or something)

So, I then right-clicked a folder on my desktop and chose 'scan with EAM' - after the scan had completed , the Forensic Log had updated itself to show the start and end entries for the Quick Scan above, but now the Forensic Log doesn't show the entries for the custom scan I just did - the scan log shows it finished at 16:10 but it's now 16:20 as I type this.image.png.63f172ce61d8fa4e4e3d99c5d7ccd04d.png
Download Image

Also, if I now try to click on the View Details button to see the details of the Quick scan, nothing happens !

I have debug logs for this if you want them - please let me know.

Closing the gui and re-opening it has no effect on the forensic log as it still shows it as being in progress -

closing a2start process/gui and reopening makes no sense as only the GUI hides from the desktop. it will stay in memory.
if you want to test with a fresh try, kill the a2start process or do a 'shutdown protection' via the context menu on the green EAM shield icon.

note: A shutdown will stop EAM completely. you can restart it via the desktop icon (if you have it) or via the start menu

Thanks Frank but I think my comment about closing the gui was a bit of a red herring - I only mentioned it as it was something I tried (as a long shot) to get the log to refresh and show the latest expected entries.

The fact remains that the forensic log isn't being populated as expected and I can reproduce the issue above at will.

I've just done a Quick Scan again - the scan finished at 15:41:18 accrding to the Scan Report, but the Forensic Log is stll showing the scan as In Progress and it is now 15:49 and counting.

I have debug logs if you want them.

I can reproduce what you  see marko, so I tried to find some way to get rid of it :)

With the logs open click on 'components' top right.

Then make it just show scans and nothing else.

I couldn't do this as everything disappeared out of the forensics window  :lol:

BUT when I selected all the tickboxes again so it showed everything in Forensics, the ''in progress'' line has gone.

I think we'll have to take that as a result !!

Another thing I have learnt is the components window doesn't work as it should and to me it's useless as I never think of using it anyway because I want to see all that is in the logs.

15 minutes ago, stapp said:

I think we'll have to take that as a result !!

Another thing I have learnt is the components window doesn't work as it should and to me it's useless as I never think of using it anyway because I want to see all that is in the logs.

Thanks Stapp, but surely we shouldn't have to filter and then un-filter the log just to get it to populate.

The scan I did over an hour ago is still showing as In Progress  😦

I could force it to populate by doing another scan or rebooting but we shouldn't have to do that surely.

Perhaps they know it's an issue and are working on it ?

I don't think we should have to mess around to get things to populate either.

Hopefully they are working on it as you say and working on the components filter for those who want it as it appears broken to me.

1 hour ago, marko said:

Thanks Frank but I think my comment about closing the gui was a bit of a red herring - I only mentioned it as it was something I tried (as a long shot) to get the log to refresh and show the latest expected entries.

Marko, the idea of shutting down EAM and starting it again was to see if this resolved the missing logrecords issue. If so, the issue is purely GUI, which I expect.
Could you please try that?

cheers

20 minutes ago, stapp said:

Hopefully they are working on it as you say and working on the components filter for those who want it as it appears broken to me.

it is just slow.

please try again to select a component, click on the grid, so that the dropdown closes and wait until the grid populates again.

Slow ? ?..I've seen paint dry quicker :)

In fact any sort of mouse click anywhere (desktop for example) triggers the selected component to populate the log.

Otherwise it stays that way for ever...stuck

16 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Marko, the idea of shutting down EAM and starting it again was to see if this resolved the missing logrecords issue. If so, the issue is purely GUI, which I expect.
Could you please try that?

cheers

ok sorry - must still be half asleep :) - I have just shutdown EAM, then restarted it from the desktop shortcut and the Forensic Log now shows the scan completion time

7 minutes ago, Frank H said:

it is just slow.

Slow isn't the word - it was still showing as In Progress just now, two hours after the scan finished

9 minutes ago, Frank H said:

please try again to select a component, click on the grid, so that the dropdown closes and wait until the grid populates again.

that works fine, it just takes a second to re-populate with the filtered items

It's not fixed when doing a Quick Scan from the Scan and Clean panel on the Overview screen (although Quick Scan from New Scan screen is fine, as are Malware Scan from either location).

7 hours ago, marko said:

It's not fixed when doing a Quick Scan from the Scan and Clean panel on the Overview screen (although Quick Scan from New Scan screen is fine, as are Malware Scan from either location).

Confirmed here.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:08 PM, stapp said:

forensics filtering now should work as it should be, please confirm

18 minutes ago, Frank H said:

i cannot replicate the issue at all

this is what i see when i start a quick scan from the scan tile

712944275_2018-09-0412_30_15-Clipboard.png.43f7add05d24d9bf8124e70f62948c4d.png
Download Image
Download Image

That is odd because it did it this morning when I tested marco's findings and now it doesn't.

May try a restart and see it it is just first scan of day.

30 minutes ago, Frank H said:

forensics filtering now should work as it should be, please confirm

Seems to be working normally now.

6 minutes ago, stapp said:

That is odd because it did it this morning when I tested marco's findings and now it doesn't.

It happens every time for me  - here's another that finished 5 mins ago yet is still showing In Progress

image.png.37a045c776a986cc133a3f1566210165.png
Download Image

7 minutes ago, stapp said:

Okay tried it a different way. I selected scan from left-hand icon.. chose quick scan.. and then opened logs from left hand icon

progress.PNG
Download Image

i can replicate now sometimes,

as soon as you start another scan, the scanresults record of the previous scan is added.

not a major issue, we will fix this in 2018.9

5 minutes ago, Frank H said:

i can replicate now sometimes,

as soon as you start another scan, the scanresults record of the previous scan is added.

not a major issue, we will fix this in 2018.9

and sometimes when you do another scan, even though the scan results record of the previous scan is added, the scan results for the second scan don't get added at all until you do yet another scan

10 minutes ago, stapp said:

What exactly does 2018.9 mean?

Pretty sure that means the next release at end of Sept/beginning of Oct as this month's release is 2018.8

Well why say 2018.8 if it's September? Why not just say what they mean?

They sure like to make things complicated :)

I've just scanned a folder on my desktop via the right-click context menu and the log is showing the scan as syill in progress, even though it has finished

image.png.cce675311bf4381fa32615c5368540c7.png
Download Image

So the problem is not exclusive to the Quick Scan

3 hours ago, stapp said:

Still happening.

Quick  scan  still showing 'is in progress' in the logs.

ofourse it is still happening as we will fix this in 2018.9, right ?
2018.8.1 is a hotfix that included important GUI fixes only.