marko

CLOSED a2service.exe Application Error

I had a system lockup this morning, just after logging in - unfortunately, I don't have debug logs for this, nor was I able to generate a dump file (I was half asleep and couldn't remember which keys to press on my keyboard 😪).

Event Viewer has two errors relating to a2service - one in the System log and one in the Application log - see attached log files.

I'm running Win 10 64 bit fully patched (version 1803 build 17134.228) with no other real-time security software.

EAM System Error 31082018.txt

EAM Application Error 31082018.txt

If and when you want to turn on debug logs (if they're not already on), the place to do that has moved...   It's now the very last thing in Settings - Advanced.

50 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

If and when you want to turn on debug logs (if they're not already on), the place to do that has moved...   It's now the very last thing in Settings - Advanced.

yes, I found it yesterday but only enabled it for 24 hours and it had turned itself off before the lock up

18 minutes ago, Frank H said:

without debuglogs andr process dumps we cannot do much here, unfortunately.

yes, thought that would be the case but just flagged it as a possible issue with the new beta

will keep an eye on it and will try and get debug logs and/or a dump file if it happens again

I had another a2service crash earlier with the latest beta 8923 - I had task manager open and noticed that there were two instances of a2service, both in a suspended state, two instances of a2start both running, and one instance of a2guard running - the system stopped responding so I had to force a blue screen via the keyboard.

I've attached the windows event viewer log entry for this error.

This time I was able to generate a complete memory dump via the keyboard but it's 2.38GB zipped and with my slow connection would take the best part of a day to send.

I will have access to a fast connection next Monday so could send it to you then if you want it - I also have a minidump in case that's of any use in the interim.

a2service_fault_11092018.txt

Frank - I'm just wondering if you missed my last post as you haven't replied - maybe it's been overlooked because this thread is marked as closed  ?

Do you want either of the dump files I mentioned ?

Frank I had a system lock up at boot this morning on Win 10 64 bit, build 8923

Turned machine on and went to have tea and toast etc. When I came back to the machine desktop was there but no taskbar icons. Spinning cursor on taskbar, nothing clickable. 

Event Manager shows this.. notice some of the text is incomplete. Debug logs attached.

Faulting application name: a2service.exe, version: 2018.8.1.8923, time stamp: 0x5b96ad47
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0xb0bb231d
Exception code: 0x0eedfade
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388
Faulting process ID: 0x6cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d452ef22c076bc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware\a2service.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: 30274e16-72b1-43dc-b908-a0a997032269
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

EDIT...Added wer fault dump in case it is of use.

a2start_20180923050118(7184).zip

WERCFA4.tmp.dmp

thanks stapp,

We will release a new beta soon where we have made some fixes related to  a2service crashes

Pls keep an eye on this with the upcoming 2018.9 beta.

I've had two lockups since the latest beta was released (2018.9.0.8954).

The first on 27 September a couple of hours after it was released - it happened while downloading KB4458469 via Windows Update - I was monitoring a2service.exe with procdump and it tried to create a dump file but it just created a file of 0 bytes.  I was unable to create a windows memory dump for this.

The second happened this morning when composing an email in Thunderbird - when I attached a file to a new message via drag and drop.  Again I was monitoring a2service.exe with procdump - it showed 'Unhandled C000041D' and tried to create a dump file but again it just created a file of 0 bytes.  This time, I did manage to create a complete memory dump file via the keyboard so please let me know if you want it.