JeremyNicoll

CLOSED Beta 8904

Win 8.1, 64bit.  Update seemed smooth.  Tooltips work on minimised sidebar menu.   The mysterious "5123" number next to Quarantine is no longer there - I hope that's expected!  Logs appear to be sorted properly.

Last Scan Results heading in the scan page ..doesn't show last scan results. 

Does it have another purpose?

If the text on the GUI gets any paler it will be invisible. Please change it from pale grey.

Not a big fan of the GUI. Way too much white space, too much scrolling and I do not like sidebars. Its also starting to look like a web page which I think is what you guys are going for but I hate it. A gui should be compact, crisp and intuitive, this one is none of the above. I need to put on sunglasses for this one.

• Like 1

The update went smoothly and the tweaks/fixes seem fine.

I do have two small observations (cosmetic):

1. The new tooltips on the sidebar are sometimes obscured by the mouse pointer hand (on my pc anyway) - the position of the tooltip relative to the icon seems to change depending on which direction you've moved the mouse from.  For example, if you hover over the Overview icon then move the mouse pointer down to the Protection icon, the tooltip for Protection is half obscured by the mouse pointer hand (same for the other icons when moving downward).  If you move in an upward direction, the tooltip for Overview isn't obscured (same for the other icons when moving upward)

2. Re this post https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/29870-beta-8894/?do=findComment&comment=186890  for the previous beta, this is still not working as one would expect - when you click on the About link, it jumps to the About screen but Licence is underlined rather than About

image.png.d3e5df9667d7027cc752d599f9fc1fad.png
Download Image

9 hours ago, stapp said:

Last Scan Results heading in the scan page ..doesn't show last scan results. 

sorry stapp, i do not get what you mean. screenprint please ;)

43 minutes ago, marko said:

2. Re this post https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/29870-beta-8894/?do=findComment&comment=186890  for the previous beta, this is still not working as one would expect - when you click on the About link, it jumps to the About screen but Licence is underlined rather than About

will be fixed in beta3

17 hours ago, JeremyNicoll said:

The mysterious "5123" number next to Quarantine is no longer there - I hope that's expected!

why would that not  be expected ? the 5123 was just a bug and displayed when the Quarantine was empty.

12 minutes ago, Frank H said:

sorry stapp, i do not get what you mean. screenprint please ;)

Similar to what marko posted. The underlinings in blue are wrong.

scan.PNG
Download Image

13 minutes ago, stapp said:

Similar to what marko posted. The underlinings in blue are wrong.

the tab text is wrong and should be 'New scan'

thanks !

1 hour ago, Frank H said:

the tab text is wrong and should be 'New scan'

thanks !

I think this only happens after you've already scanned something else - the first time you choose to Scan, whether from the sidebar, Scan and Clean panel or from the system tray, it correctly displays New Scan.  If you then attempt to do another scan by either method, it comes up with the screen Stapp shows above.

I've also noticed another peculiarity - if you've scanned a file via right-click explorer option, the next time you click on Custom Scan it will display the previously scanned file in the Custom Scan box as shown here, which I think is by design now is it not ?

image.png.9bc12165330b0dc2e8d5f3e031a2bf80.png
Download Image

Anyway, the peculiar thing is that if you hover the mouse cursor over the red x in the remove column for a couple of seconds, it disappears all by itself without clicking the mouse button (I don't have tap to click or gestures enabled on my trackpad)

17 minutes ago, marko said:

I think this only happens after you've already scanned something else - the first time you choose to Scan, whether from the sidebar, Scan and Clean panel or from the system tray, it correctly displays New Scan.  If you then attempt to do another scan by either method, it comes up with the screen Stapp shows above.

yep that was clear ;=)

17 minutes ago, marko said:

I've also noticed another peculiarity - if you've scanned a file via right-click explorer option, the next time you click on Custom Scan it will display the previously scanned file in the Custom Scan box as shown here, which I think is by design now is it not ?

This is behavior that has been sitting  in EAM for years. we did not change logics for 2018.8

25 minutes ago, Frank H said:

This is behavior that has been sitting  in EAM for years. we did not change logics for 2018.8

ok my bad, but I was referring to the disappearing red cross being peculiar

Frank BB windows keeps freezing on me.. going unresponsive.

I had dragged the windows down a bit via the little drag lines on bottom right earlier in the day.

Now I cannot scroll properly even if I try to make it smaller. 

thanks stapp. we're currently working on a similar issue where scrolling through forensics gets slow too. this issue might be related.

1 hour ago, marko said:

Anyway, the peculiar thing is that if you hover the mouse cursor over the red x in the remove column for a couple of seconds, it disappears all by itself without clicking the mouse button (I don't have tap to click or gestures enabled on my trackpad)

confirmed

10 minutes ago, Frank H said:

thanks stapp. we're currently working on a similar issue where scrolling through forensics gets slow too. this issue might be related.

In the end I restarted my machine. It is working OK at the moment, perhaps it takes a while to get tired :)

I did a dmp file via task manager of a2start while it was misbehaving.

EDIT.. it's started freezing again :(

6 minutes ago, onbox said:

Is browsing similar to a web page necessary? I agree with digmor crusher ... too much scrolling, and with that spectacular design I find that function unnecessary.

Well yes.

The new user interface is able to dynamically adapt to your available screen size for optimized readability.

Scrolling pages similar to websites: this particularly improves handling when using touch screens and further blurs the line between desktop and web apps.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Well yes.

The new user interface is able to dynamically adapt to your available screen size for optimized readability.

Scrolling pages similar to websites: this particularly improves handling when using touch screens and further blurs the line between desktop and web apps.

understood and accepted!!!

thanks ;=)

FYI: we've just released EAM 2018.8.0.8906 beta3

fixes:

• fixed: issue with  scrolling through grids (scrolling and sorting are lightning fast again).
  • fixed: tab underline when clicked on the About link.
  • fixed: record magically deleted when hovered over the delete icon in custom scan path.
  • fixed: 'Update now' label was still visible during an update.
  • fixed: a few localization related issues.
  • Improved: big scan buttons layout now similar to helpdesk panel buttons.

I don't know if this is a bug or whether it's by design but I'm finding the scan settings to be unintuitive.

If you right-click a file on the desktop and choose Scan with EAM, it scans as expected and shows this

image.png.836eb9c1a9cac676907b33c1f4d8249f.png
Download Image

Should it really say New Scan in the heading and again just below - it used to say Last Scan Results.

Either way, having done this single scan via the explorer context menu, if I then decide later in the same Windows session that I want to do a scan from the scan icon in the sidebar, it just diisplays this screen again rather than the New Scan screen - is this by design ?

Also noticed that the text 'Scanner settings' in the heading used to have both words capitalised (like all the other headings)

> This is behavior that has been sitting  in EAM for years. we did not change logics for 2018.8

It's not been like that "for years".  The change so that the custom scan setup panel no longer always shows your last manually-set up scan (rather than one via context menu) is comparitively recent.  

The latest beta just crashed here.  A C0000005 in a2start.exe - immediately after I clicked on 'Custom Scan' on the Overview pane.   A dump of some sort was sent to you.

> why would that not  be expected ? the 5123 was just a bug and displayed when the Quarantine was empty.

I would not have expected it to vanish unless you thought you'd fixed that bug.  If you hadn't fixed the bug you would be interested that the display of the number was no longer happening.

> Last Scan Results

Yesterday I also saw no information about my last scan under the 'last scan results' title.    Now, with the new beta, I don't see even the 'Last scan results' heading.   Is it now only dislayed if there are results than can be displayed?     Since I've done loads of scans over the last umpteen years, why would it now show one/five.ten or however many of them?  Or is it meant only to show the results of the single most-recent scan?   Even then, of course I have made a most-recent scan... so is it only the result of the most-recent since EAM was last started?  

> The new user interface is able to dynamically adapt to your available screen size for optimized readability.

Then it should also be able to adapt the text size and colour.

12 hours ago, marko said:

Should it really say New Scan in the heading and again just below - it used to say Last Scan Results.

will be improved in 2018.9

52 minutes ago, JeremyNicoll said:

The latest beta just crashed here.  A C0000005 in a2start.exe - immediately after I clicked on 'Custom Scan' on the Overview pane.   A dump of some sort was sent to you.

known and fixed in beta4